Constantly Hungry

Hi,

Over the past few years I've lost around 56lb and toned up my body a lot. I train 2 nights a week (weight lifting mostly with cardio) and I horse ride weekly but lately I'm finding myself incredibly hungry. I just want to eat all the time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Nothing has changed in my training or anything but I'm just really hungry all the time and it's annoying me because it's not normal for me.

Anyone any ideas?

GunslingerRoland

I know for me, my appetite increases greatly from summer to winter. Weeks like this when the temperature suddenly starts dropping between seasons I notice I'm a lot more hungry.

(If the seasons aren't changing yet where you are, I have no clue.)

yes, and i blame it on weights. i have read that lifting weights can actually increase appetite because you are burning off more calories and increasing your metabolism, so the body requires more caloric intake. i always seem to be extremely hungry the day after a weight workout, to the point of overeating and reaching for anything in sight. i never overate until i started lifting weights. i think it's okay, and just means you're burning calories and need even more fuel. just maintain your workouts, and gravitate to healthy eating. changes are expected along the way, and as you incorporate new routines, etc. but if your body is asking for food, it needs it, and you should honor that.

I don't know this is it at all, because you didn't describe it as this...

But - I had a situation in which I was always hungry - stomach rumbling. I would eat a regular meal - which used to satisfy me..and literally half an hour later I would have hunger pangs like I hadn't eaten at all. I tried drinking water after the meal and waiting another 40 minutes for my "brain" to realize I already ate. Nothing worked! I was being woken up at 2 and 3 in the morning from hunger pangs.

Turns out - I had a stomach ulcer! I ended up on prevacid and after about being on it a month all those symptoms went away.

But you sound like you have increased your activity, and that would correlate with you needing more calories. So it might not be what my issue was at all. But...I'm posting it for you just in case maybe it might be helpful.

You've lost a lot of weight, congrats on your hard work and effort paying off! That's really wonderful work!

Hm, I'm assuming you are eating pretty clean seeing the weight you've dropped, but are you taking vitamins and minerals? Maybe your body is low on a few?

• Author
I know for me, my appetite increases greatly from summer to winter. Weeks like this when the temperature suddenly starts dropping between seasons I notice I'm a lot more hungry.

(If the seasons aren't changing yet where you are, I have no clue.)

The seasons are changing we're going from Summer to Autumn here, that could be the reason. I've heard of that before!

Have you cut out soda?

Yes, I cut out soda over a year ago although I have been reaching for it lately but only for a quick drink nowhere near the amount I used to drink.

yes, and i blame it on weights. i have read that lifting weights can actually increase appetite because you are burning off more calories and increasing your metabolism, so the body requires more caloric intake. i always seem to be extremely hungry the day after a weight workout, to the point of overeating and reaching for anything in sight. i never overate until i started lifting weights. i think it's okay, and just means you're burning calories and need even more fuel. just maintain your workouts, and gravitate to healthy eating. changes are expected along the way, and as you incorporate new routines, etc. but if your body is asking for food, it needs it, and you should honor that.

I read that! The problem is my body is telling me it wants bad foods, like junk food etc but I'm fighting it. The weight of the weights i'm lifting has increased which could also be the cause. I had read that I just wondered if other had experienced it.

You've lost a lot of weight, congrats on your hard work and effort paying off! That's really wonderful work!

Hm, I'm assuming you are eating pretty clean seeing the weight you've dropped, but are you taking vitamins and minerals? Maybe your body is low on a few?

I don't take vitamins or minerals. I cut out all the bad things I used to eat and increased my activity levels to drop the weight. My body is probably low on a more than a few vitamins.

More intense workouts the more you need to eat but you might need to pay attention to your diet and eat clean ie fruits veggies whole foods type diet especially if you're lifting is increasing > you might want up take on protein

Hell yeah! I have just started a new exercise routine daily (yes daily! haha) and I've been super hungry.

My tummy has been begging for food every 30 mins!

I've gained 2.5kg in 4 weeks though. Which is perfect. I need another 8kg.

Bring it on!

I read that! The problem is my body is telling me it wants bad foods, like junk food etc but I'm fighting it. The weight of the weights i'm lifting has increased which could also be the cause. I had read that I just wondered if other had experienced it.

mine does too. it wants sugar. but, i listen to it and eat the sugary stuff. i don't see the problem with that, honestly. i work out every single day, eat right all day long, and when the body wants to overeat it wants to overeat on a huge bag of sugary sweets. starving your body of what it wants isn't the answer, imo, even if that means having lots of sugary snacks. but i blame weights. i am also one of the people in the world that eats bread, lots of bread. maybe your previous diet was carb-heavy and that is just something your body naturally wants and needs. for me, i can cut out any food in my diet but carbs and sugars. maybe try to eliminate weights for a week or so and see if the cravings diminish? or eliminate something else you may feel is the cause.

I've noticed that hunger isn't an independent urge. When I have a set goal that I'm determined to achieve I can go days without eating and not even be hungry, if that's what it calls for. But once I reach my goal and get comfortable the hunger can ramp up. Perhaps you've just hit a point where you're comfortable now and your body is responding as such.

Hard to guage without know your diet. However stress and especially lack of sleep can cause cravings for "comfort" high calorie foods.

If you're not getting enough sleep then that's likely the issue.

• Like 1

If you are experiencing hunger you should eat more fat. And not things like vegetable oil or rubbish like that. Good animal fats like lard, duck fat, butter etc. and fattier cuts of meat. Fat will satiate you far quicker and keep you feeling fuller for longer. If you're going to up the fat content then limit the carb content of your diet. Especially since you aren't training super regularly.