Hi! Has anyone here dealt with a torn meniscus? Is surgery always necessary?

I was in a lot of pain, but ibuprofen is helping. I can do most things but not to the same degree.

fitnessfan365

I was in a lot of pain, but ibuprofen is helping. I can do most things but not to the same degree.

Based on this, it seems like a minor tear. If you were an average person that didn't really care about fitness, I'd say live with it.

But you're very passionate about fitness and will get sick of limitations. So you'll probably wind up trying to push through it and end up doing severe damage. Then when you do have the surgery, it will be far more invasive, way more expensive, and you'll have a WAY longer recovery time ahead of you. My advice? Get the surgery now when the tear is minor. Way less involved, way faster recovery, and you'll eventually be back to your old self. It's better to be on the shelf for 4-6 weeks, then it is for 4-6 months. Just saying..

• Like 2

I would get the surgery.

I wasn't into fitness back in the day and I was very overweight. I tore my meniscus and my ACL.

I left it and recurring injuries kept tearing it more and more until I eventually got the surgery and had a ridiculously long recovery time due to the intensity of the damage!

• Like 1

I also had ACL + meniscus surgery last year around this time. The menicus was the easy fix - there are two options. They can clear out the meniscus if it's in an area that doesn't get a lot of blood flow, or they can repair it. If they repair it, it's a longer recovery process and you have to stay off of it for a week or two. If they clear it out by shaving it down, then you can walk on it immediately. I would definitely take care of it now before it gets worse - my meniscus tore first, and I left it... but then I tore my ACL.

i've never had a torn meniscus but i wish you a speedy recovery

I had meniscus surgery in 2012 from an old skiing injury back when I was a teenager. Needless to say, being on crutches with no weight bearing for 6 weeks sucked a-s. Since the injury was old, the repair didn't take, and my knee is no better than it was before the surgery. Do your homework, find a reputable surgeon, meniscus repair work is no walk in the park

• Like 1
  • Author
I also had ACL + meniscus surgery last year around this time. The menicus was the easy fix - there are two options. They can clear out the meniscus if it's in an area that doesn't get a lot of blood flow, or they can repair it. If they repair it, it's a longer recovery process and you have to stay off of it for a week or two. If they clear it out by shaving it down, then you can walk on it immediately. I would definitely take care of it now before it gets worse - my meniscus tore first, and I left it... but then I tore my ACL.

Yep, that's what someone told me.

I just had the surgery in July, I was told that there was zero chance of it healing on it's own.

The surgery itself wasn't bad at all. In and out in ah hour but recovery has been a pain in my case. I've been off of work for two months (it's a physical job where I'm on my feet all day).

The actual injury happened 6months ago, but I played it off as just a nagging pain until I couldn't take it anymore. Putting it off and wearing away at it took it's toll and I'm paying for that in recovery and with permanent osteoarthritis.

Had it to do over, I would have saved myself the grief and had it looked at right away, seems it's a much better situation when it's caught early.

TOJAZ

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks everyone. Im making an appt monday. I was hoping it would go away, but it hasnt. Im also buying some spring loaded knee braces. I hope that helos in the meantime. Reviews said they are good for shooting pains which i now have. Well, i guess im on bedrest until they come. :( Maybe this extra rest will help me fet some gains lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I guess that's standard. My doctor seemed like he knew just from the exam but ordered the MRI to confirm. It takes awhile and you have to be perfectly still so make sure your good and comfortable before they start... I wasn't and ended up with a terrible cramp from having to hold an awkward position for so long.

TOJAZ

Did anyone have to get an Mri?

Yes, it's pretty standard.

I've had two tears, and three knee surgeries. I'm now looking at a replacement on the right. The tears can worsen if they don't shave off the rough edges.

The scope recoveries were a breeze for me, but I'm dreading the big one.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

tojaz, I too had surgery done in July. It was for a shoulder injury that had been nagging me for 6 years. I always have a physical every year and I'd always point it out. I am not blaming the doctor, but I guess I didn't complain about it hard enough for them to really get after me to go have an MRI done. So I didn't. Like I said, not blaming the doc, I always say something like 'right shoulder hurts, but it's not too bad'.......and we're moving on. I just mostly stopped doing any shoulder lifts and went to machines for presses.

Well, it got worse and (found out later) I also have arthritis there, so sometimes it was really painful. Finally had an MRI done and a tendon was torn. Had the surgery in July, still recovering. The pain is actually worse now, but hopefully it'll stop. Surgeon told me it could take 5 to 6 months before it all heals. What has me worried is, I've been using my arm on that side to move stuff. Not the smartest thing to do I know.

Had a slight tear in my Meniscus, was in a lot of discomfort. Had a limp for about a month, lucky for me Cortisone and rest was all it took for it to heal. Wait for the MRI results, it could be a strain or slight tear which would not require surgery. Keep us updated.

tojaz, I too had surgery done in July. It was for a shoulder injury that had been nagging me for 6 years. I always have a physical every year and I'd always point it out. I am not blaming the doctor, but I guess I didn't complain about it hard enough for them to really get after me to go have an MRI done. So I didn't. Like I said, not blaming the doc, I always say something like 'right shoulder hurts, but it's not too bad'.......and we're moving on. I just mostly stopped doing any shoulder lifts and went to machines for presses.

Well, it got worse and (found out later) I also have arthritis there, so sometimes it was really painful. Finally had an MRI done and a tendon was torn. Had the surgery in July, still recovering. The pain is actually worse now, but hopefully it'll stop. Surgeon told me it could take 5 to 6 months before it all heals. What has me worried is, I've been using my arm on that side to move stuff. Not the smartest thing to do I know.

It seems that anything with a joint, it's better to err on the side of caution. Something I'm learning the more research I do on the subject. Pushing the joint isn't a good idea either (I did a lot of the same things)

Not wanting to scare Hotpotato.... I haven't been particularly good to my knees over the years which is what has been leading to the complications I'm having now. The surgery is incredibly common and usually with very good results.

TOJAZ

The worse thing for me about all this is I haven't been able to really workout for over 2 months now and it looks like it'll be at least 2 more months before I can.

I am going crazy here. I really want to swim and lift, but all I can do is run. Just kickboarding does not cut it for me. It's affecting my sleep as well. I woke up at 0430 today because I just couldn't sleep. I still feel tired, but I can't sleep. I'm going to run hard today and swim. Going to try Breastroking with one arm. I'll see how that goes. I don't think it's going to work too well, but who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

• Author

Update:

So far ive had xrays and cortisone shot. I was put on meds for swelling and nerve pain. I think i have a cyst inside one of my knees. Actually, i can see it. When my knee swells enough you can see it plainly and it puts pressure on my nerves. I wouldnt wish nerve pain on anyone. I rated the pain as a 7. Im coming off tramadol, i might need more if the pain comes back.