fitnessfan365

Took it up recently and wow..what a humbling experience.

I'm definitely no stranger to hill runs. But it's always been on smooth surfaces. Never on such uneven terrain. There's a brutal trail in my area that combines various hills and flat sections for a three mile loop. Since the terrain is so uneven, the difficulty level is easily 2-3x more challenging than smooth surface training. My eventual goal is to run the whole thing, but for now I run the hills and briskly walk the flats.

• Like 2
  • Author
fitnessfan365
Did my first 25k trail race this year.

Humbling, indeed.

I've always been a sprinter and high intensity guy because I get bored so easily w-long distance. So it's just as much of a mental challenge for me as it is physical.

But since there are variety of hills and the terrain is so uneven, it's basically a three mile long interval workout. So it helps to prevent the boredom of running around a track or on streets, etc..

• Like 2

Love running trails my road speed usually avg 5;30 miles but on trails more closer to 8 minute miles around my local 12 mile loop has about 1000 meters of climb avg inclined about 12 degrees its brutal but good for speed training plus you concentrate more when it gets technical

• Like 1

I've never really "ran" on trails cuz with my foot and ankle issues - I try to avoid situations where I can injure myself...Now yes, I've hiked on some trails and stuff and while not as much as a challenge as running - still a challenge and the scenery - yes makes it worth it :)

But I've rode my bike on flat trails and yes, the scenery just makes it sooo worth it!!!

When I walk my doggies, I try to venture outside of my hood cuz I love looking at the sky, trees, etc. Even better early in the morning and/or late in the evening when you can just look at the sunset, smell the trees :love: It does humble me to see God's creation and brings calm to me. Actually, I was looking at the doggies and telling them that I'm gonna take them on a few extra walks this week cuz it's so nice out there...My "favorite" time of the year (not too hot/cold) :love:

I don't get people who just stay locked up in their homes and won't venture out and smell/see the blessings of nature that's out there :confused:

• Like 1
I've always been a sprinter and high intensity guy because I get bored so easily w-long distance. So it's just as much of a mental challenge for me as it is physical.

But since there are variety of hills and the terrain is so uneven, it's basically a three mile long interval workout. So it helps to prevent the boredom of running around a track or on streets, etc..

So true! Same thing for mountain biking too - you can never look at road riding the same way. I get bored with just peddle peddle peddle, on the trail you've got to be thinking all the time, peddle hard to get up here, ease off if its gnarly, can I jump that gap?

Anyone who writes off running and says its boring needs to give getting off the road and on the trail a crack!

• Like 1
  • Author
Anyone who writes off running and says its boring needs to give getting off the road and on the trail a crack!

Definitely agree.

Although one thing that sucks for me anyways, is I'm being introduced to allergies I didn't even know I had hitting the trails. I've had to stop for the immediate future. But there's a handful of streets in my area w/35-50% inclines that are easily 300-500 yards long. So while it doesn't give me the added challenge of uneven terrain, running/sprinting them is BRUTAL.

I also love throwing my 50lb battle rope over my shoulder and slowly jogging all the way to the top. Then busting out some battle rope slams, carrying back down, and repeat. TORTURE in a good way. haha