Ballet Beautiful

regine_phalange

Ballet Beautiful is a workout from Mary Helen Bowers, a former ballerina of NYC Ballet. She put together this series of exercises in order to condition her self at times she was out of shape (happens to ballerinas too).

I need to say that I love it. It's not your typical fast-paced workout with bossy instructor and cheesy energetic music. There is a wonderful piano music and a gentle instructor with a soothing voice instead. The workout seems timid but it's really difficult (at least for me). My legs keep shaking! But Mary Helen provides a lot of motivation just by saying "don't forget to breathe!". And of course the fact that beautiful changes are evident after just a couple of weeks makes the workout even more motivating. Beautiful changes such as sculpting of areas you never thought were possible to sculpt and postural changes and less back pain. And the fact that it's relaxing psychologically while it kicks butt physically makes it ideal for someone as sensitive as me. :D

Has anyone else tried it? If you want to try it there are segments of her videos in youtube. Even though it's a bit girly there are also some weight lifting guys who comment that it's a hard one!

• Like 7
Heatherknows
Ballet Beautiful is a workout from Mary Helen Bowers, a former ballerina of NYC Ballet. She put together this series of exercises in order to condition her self at times she was out of shape (happens to ballerinas too).

I need to say that I love it. It's not your typical fast-paced workout with bossy instructor and cheesy energetic music. There is a wonderful piano music and a gentle instructor with a soothing voice instead. The workout seems timid but it's really difficult (at least for me). My legs keep shaking! But Mary Helen provides a lot of motivation just by saying "don't forget to breathe!". And of course the fact that beautiful changes are evident after just a couple of weeks makes the workout even more motivating. Beautiful changes such as sculpting of areas you never thought were possible to sculpt and postural changes and less back pain. And the fact that it's relaxing psychologically while it kicks butt physically makes it ideal for someone as sensitive as me. :D

Has anyone else tried it? If you want to try it there are segments of her videos in youtube. Even though it's a bit girly there are also some weight lifting guys who comment that it's a hard one!

LOVE HER!!!! Did all the youtube videos that she has uploaded.

• Like 2

isn't this the one all the models were doing last year? similar to the barre method? i don't like it, it's too hard for a beginner and i think pilates works the same muscle groups. a male friend of mine did try this and said it was an amazing workout, plus the benefit of meeting lots of women in the local classes.

• Like 2

Looks great.

I love ballet, both traditional and modern.

Nobody is fitter than a ballet dancer.

Wait for the

• Like 2
  • Author
regine_phalange

Oh I don't know the barre method! But Mary Helen does have several celebrity customers. The thing is I love her personality - she's my ideal teacher! And even though I'm not that fit myself I had to push the first 3-4 times and now it's getting easier (not EASY still, I just don't feel like dying every 30 seconds).

Satu, lovely dancing. What's up with air and women kissing in their videos? :laugh: I personally love

from them (which also has a kiss and some more).
  • Like 1
Oh I don't know the barre method! But Mary Helen does have several celebrity customers. The thing is I love her personality - she's my ideal teacher! And even though I'm not that fit myself I had to push the first 3-4 times and now it's getting easier (not EASY still, I just don't feel like dying every 30 seconds).

Satu, lovely dancing. What's up with air and women kissing in their videos? :laugh: I personally love

from them (which also has a kiss and some more).

I love that one too, and I think the kisses are lovely :)

• Like 1
autumnnight

My favorite type of dance when I was taking five million years ago was ballet. The grace and beauty and symmetry are beautiful. I am definitely going to check her out.

• Like 3
My favorite type of dance when I was taking five million years ago was ballet. The grace and beauty and symmetry are beautiful. I am definitely going to check her out.

It looks great for balance and toning and I love the physical aesthetic. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing! I participate in a barre class only once a week and I'd prefer to do it more often but it's a bit expensive and far from me, so I think this will fill in for me in the in-between times.

The particular joy of these sorts of workouts for me is that it builds body awareness and flexibility that is applicable to any athletic activity.

• Like 1
  • Author
regine_phalange

Yes that's true! I notice better posture and less back pain. And I lost 1.5 cm from each thigh in a couple of weeks! I'm truly astonished. This is all the motivation I need. I don't care that it's repetitive after a while, time goes so fast because it's so challenging to do these exercises, no opportunity to get bored!

• Like 2