i was recently diagnosed with eczema and the doctor indicated i have a soap and perfume allergy and needed to immediately eliminate detergents, dryer sheets, etc. my question is... if someone who uses the washer and/or dryer before me uses a harsh detergent or dryer sheet, what steps can i take to make sure my clothes do not retain this when i use the machines? (i use a laundromat and not my own machines). or, perhaps it does not linger for the next person? does anyone know?

I have tons of experience in this as my daughter has eczema. Yes. There will be residual from earlier users. About all you can do is run an empty load before you wash your clothes. I assume you're using baking powder/vinegar in place of detergent?

I wouldn't stress the empty load right now. Just stop using dryer sheets and detergent and see what happens. Also - it might not be that. Eczema is a frustrating process of cause and effect. The first places to look at detergents/soaps and food. Read up on common alergens (soy, wheat, dairy, corn, etc). Get on a food elimination diet. It will suck. But do it. Cut out the soaps and the detergents and see what happens. If you clear up you can start experimenting by adding back one thing at a time. Slowly.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

I've had eczema for years. I don't think you have that much to worry about in regards to residual products - especially for the washing machine.

For a dryer, you could always wipe it down with rubbing alcohol before using it.

I've been having to use non-perfumed products for three decades.

• Like 1

I have eczema as well.

In place of drier sheets I use tennis balls to remove the static from my washed laundry and it works!

In place of laundry detergent, use vinegar and baking soda. There are a number of eczema-friendly natural (and inexpensive) laundry detergent recipes that won't irritate your skin. Do not use Borax either. Stay away from Borax.

1 Tbsp Washing Soda

1 Tbsp Baking Soda

1 Tbsp Grated Castile Soap

1 C Distilled White Vinegar in the Fabric Softener Compartment

1 Tbsp Citrus Enzyme Cleaner or Citric Acid

• Like 2
Her Bridges
I have eczema as well.

In place of drier sheets I use tennis balls to remove the static from my washed laundry and it works!

In place of laundry detergent, use vinegar and baking soda. There are a number of eczema-friendly natural (and inexpensive) laundry detergent recipes that won't irritate your skin. Do not use Borax either. Stay away from Borax.

I'd suggest vinegar OR baking soda. A lot of home recipes include both, because they fizz and that seems to do something. In reality, the vinegar and baking soda are reacting to each other, instead of any grime or bacteria. Once they react you're basically left with water, defeating the purpose of using them as cleaners.

I use vinegar alone on my exercise clothes to kill the bacteria that cause the sweat stink, it works very well. :) I'd suggest testing each on their own to see which you prefer.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I suffer from the same problem. If the other person is using powder detergent, depending on the washing machine model there is a chance of having some left behind. Try and wipe it down or run an empty load first. For my own detergent I use an eco-based one without harsh chemicals and it works great for me (kinda expensive, but worth it).

I've never had a problem with the dryer though.

• Like 1

I used to wash with a recipe that used liquid black soap. LOVED it!

It was like a mix of liquid black soap, water, baking soda, tea tree oil and lavender.

I also have exczema but it's not a reaction to perfumes (At least I don't think so). It's gotten worse because of the chalk I use in weight lifting so normally I just make sure I keep my hands hydrated. Try Glaxal Base or the perfume free Glysomed.