Weight loss "sinking in?"

Ok, this is for folks who've lost weight in the past. How long did it take for you to really feel like it has finally "sunk in?"

I've lost 70 pounds so far. It took me a year and a half, so it's not like I lost it quickly. I changed my habits, I ate better, I exercised more. I'm still 30 pounds overweight, my doctor is more than happy to remind me of this hahahaha.

Anyway, today I went out clothes shopping with my mom because my bosses at work have been complaining that my clothes are hanging off me and I look sloppy (this is true. And I work with the public so I need to look professional).

I used to be a 2x shirt, and thought I was safe grabbing an XL in the store... When I go to put that on, I'm swimming in it. So I ask my mom to go grab me an L. Same thing, I'm swimming in it. So I tell mom grab me an M. And when I hold it up, I'm thinking "there's no way possible that this tiny shirt could fit me..." Lo and behold it does.

So far, I've taken this weight loss in stride with the exception that I can't GET IT IN MY HEAD. In my mind I'm still huge, and I'm still overweight...

My question is, for those of you with any sort of weight loss, when did you finally get used to it, IN YOUR MIND? Did you ever get used to it, did your mind ever accept your size?

I'm starting to get really frustrated because I beat myself up about my size and can't seem to realize, I'm no longer the morbidly obese gal, but am now the slightly chubby gal.

• Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss!! :bunny:

To answer your question - I don't think it ever really sunk in with me.

I didn't even lose as much weight as you. I lost about 35lbs

I went from trying on L/XL clothes to M/S(sometimes) and although I'm used to that now (its been 7-8 years)- I think (and that's just my personal feeling on this) - once a chubby girls, always a chubby girl, even if I'm not chubby physically.

Like I know I look better, I know nicer clothes fit on me and look good, but there's still a part of me that still struggles with the 10-15 lbs. So I still feel that although it has sunk in to some level, it never fully will for me.

I hope it fully sinks in for you. :)

I dropped a "scrubs" size at work so it sunk in fairly quickly haha. I remember looking in the mirror in disbelief thinking "I'm a skinny person!"

Its satisfying throwing away the baggy clothes.

It never sunk in for me, but I have difficulty with weight mentally I guess. I didn't drop tonnes, just less than 2 stone. But I went from a UK12-14 to a UK6-8, which is quite a big difference for me. I know which size to get in the shops but in my head, I'm not thin. In my head I have big thighs and a tubby tummy. It shouldn't be possible but I feel it is. And I fear going back to where I was. Clothes sizes are odd so the odd time I have to go to a 10, I hate it. The fear stops me fully accepting I lost weight but I guess it also stops me from gaining again,

• Author

Thanks for the responses you guys.

Unfortunately, TigerCub might be right... Perhaps chubby people will always be mentally chubby people.

I really hope that my mind catches up to it. I've done some Internet perusing and I see so many sites talking about the "phantom fat" but nothing mentioning the "phantom fat" going away haha.

I did not lose as much as you did, but 2 years later I see things I like in the shop and think .. That will never fit it's too small and it fits!

• 1 month later...
DatingDirection

I know for myself, when i first lost 30 pounds, i wasn't use to it. I was scared that i would gain it all back. I watched everything i ate, and was obessed with the gym. Looking back, i had an eating disorder. I also saw someone i didn't know who it was in the mirror. I should have joined a group for eating disorders then, b/c they don't deal with the actual eating disorder they deal with underlining issues, like body image as an example, and you get to know yourself better. The psychological part of losing weight is a whole other issues that comes with a new you. I highly suggest you join a group, and talk about how you feel being this new person, it goes along with maintenance and loosing weight. Good luck, and congrats, enjoy it all the way!!!!

Congrats on your weight loss!

I myself lost 30 pounds in the past year and shopping for new clothes is HARD!

Once a lady working at the store asked me how I was doing - I must have looked a little discouraged and I told her about my weightloss and she replied «Oh! Nothing fits the way you're used to!»

I thought it made a lot fo sense. On top of that, I have been able to afford new clothes in the past year so I've been wearing clothes that are oversized. I'm used to super loose clothing.

So while some fitted clothes now look awesome on me, it feels horrible. I just have to get used to it.

To make matters worse, I've been doing a lot of squats and now have killer squads. I had to say goodbye to skinny jeans lol