Obsessed over being short male

AnalogueAnimal

I'm a 22 year old and my height is 169 cm / 5'6 as my parents are short as well. This didn't bother me much before but now it's getting out of control. People tell me I look handsome but I feel like they're just being polite. I feel like I'm too short to date a girl and I know height is the first thing that matters to women. I look young for my age and I have the body of a 16 year old. It bothers me so much. Whenever I go out, I constantly compare my height to others and I start feeling frustrated about it. I hate being short...I keep asking myself..why was I born so short? I've got rejected a few times and that didn't bother me but It hurt when my best friend who told me she liked me and considered being in relationship but in the end, she felt like I'm too short and gave up. Sometimes, I feel depressed thinking about it. Basically, I hate looking young and I hate being so short.

you should read some of the other threads on here from guys 5'4 and under. now they have a bigger problem. 5'6 is pretty much every single Hispanic man in the entire city of Los Angeles and they all seem to be married with children. i don't think you're going to have the problem you think you might. there are bazillions of women on earth and you only need that special one to be just fine with your height. accept who you are and concentrate on being the best you possible. i'm a 5'10 female, and i've always wanted to be shorter. we all want that one thing we didn't get, but don't let it define you. and think of other alternatives, like dating taller. i date men 5'8/5'9, so you're not limited to women 5'6 and under you know. it starts with confidence and that is more attractive to women than your height will ever be.

• Like 2
toscaroscura

I know I am just one woman, but I have dated men shorter than I and found them extremely sexy. I'm about 5'7"-5'8". Because I have always been on the taller side, I figured out at a young age it would be silly to eliminate men shorter than me, because I'd be discounting a lot of lovely men.:love:

However, each of those shorter men expressed insecurity at my being taller than them. One made a self-deprecating comment when I wore heels. Another made me stand back to back with him and was crestfallen when I ended up being a tad taller. It was sort of done in jest but I could tell it bothered them.

So I guess, make sure you aren't projecting this insecurity onto these women. Do they REALLY think you are so hideous, or is that your own brain confirming your insecurities? And, that one tactless "best friend" (pfft) doesn't speak for all womankind.

Something to think on.

• Like 3

I think what women most tend to go for is "taller than me." So you at 5'6" and the average American female is at 5'4" I think you'll be fine. Plenty of women don't care, and if they do, they aren't worth it.

I personally tend to gravitate toward taller guys, but if I got to know a "shorter" male and liked him, height would no longer be a factor for me, I wouldn't care. (And this has happened. I did date a shorter dude)

I think we all compare ourselves to others. I'm chubby and that bothers me. I know there will always be skinnier girls out there. But I know for a fact there's some guy out there who'll like me despite the chub.

• Like 1
tinalooks808

5'6 is not short, I would worry if you were under 5'. I'm 5'6 and have dated someone shorter. As long as you are confident it isn't a big deal. I find shorter men to be more charming and witty. So work it!

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

Its not so much the height....Id say your problem is likely to be your size...

You didn't mention a weight, but if you have the body of a boy, (lets assume you weigh 135 or so)...The average American woman is like 170 lbs and 5'4"...And in my time on this planet, it seems as though women just keep getting bigger and heavier as the years have gone on...Not always too fat, in many cases its that these girls are larger/taller and pretty muscular/.beefy..

So a guy your size is not going to be very appealing to most of these women.,,Even a 125 lb 5'3" woman is going to likely want their guy to be somewhat heavier than them..You will even read about this on this site....Women want guys that are larger than them and not necessarily always taller..

I know there are going to be some women who will counter this post with personal stories about the true love of their lives being some small peanut of a guy that had a 2 inch dick, and that they towered over and outweighed by a large margin...Good for them, but its clearly not the norm..

My advice is to just try to be the "biggest" 5'6" you can be...Go to the gym and try to build your physique to something more apropos...I mean, to give you an example, I am basically your height and weigh a solid 220(14%bf)..Ive never thought of myself as a small guy and no one has ever called me small..What winds up happening there is that you have an appearance that is more noticeable and draws less attention you your height,,,In fact, most people guess that I am much taller than I actually am...May be an extreme example and you could potentially not be able to even gain much size due to genetics,,,but everyone can improve..My guess is that you would feel like a totally different guy if you packed some muscle and got your weight up...Just a thought..

Also do things that will help you with general confidence..Career/hobby stuff..I mean, if you are a video game guy, maybe shift to more rugged/physical types of hobbies instead....Stuff like hiking, biking, and other stuff like that..

Again just throwing things out there,....at the end of the day you need to find your own comfort zone..just offering suggestions as a short guy myself..

Good luck..;)

TFY

• Like 4

You're worrying about nothing my man. Everyone has there flaws or shortcomings in one area or another. Yes, MANY women don't want to date guys shorter than them or even their height because they want to wear heels.

Your target audience should be women 5' to say 5'4". I also agree that your confidence and personality is more important than your height. If you have a baby face, you're lucky. I had a baby face when I was in my 20's and 30's. I'm now in my 5th decade and look 8 years younger while my high school class mates look like they are 8 years older than they are. Enjoy that!

I'm 6'3" and it not all that. Have you flown commercial lately? Try having your legs shoved into the seat in front of you for hours due to them cramming as many seats as they can in those flipping cattle cars they call airplanes. I don't fit in many cars too comfortably. There's always pro-con's for things people don't realize. How about being a woman over 6'? You think they enjoy that? Everybody deals with something about themselves and learn to make the best of it.

Stop worrying about it. I know a lot of guys under 5'8" that have hot GF's or wife's that are shorter than them.

I wouldn't worry about it. My grandfather was 5'6" or so, and my uncles, too, and they all were revered in their neighborhood. Even decades later total strangers knew their names and showed them respect. My girlfriend's father couldn't be over 5'3" if that, and he's always a man among men. A tough old farmer with many friends, and many girlfriends, in his life. Look at pictures of soldiers from World War II, if you want. A lot of the guys were shorter than you. Do they not look like heroes to you anyway?

You have to find a way to remove these thoughts from your head and understand that people also see you as a man, even when you're lined up with a lot of taller guys. Just tell yourself that like every other guy, your day is coming, too.

• Author
AnalogueAnimal

Thank you everyone for your input! I feel positive now.

I weigh 145 lbs. I joined the gym and I'll start working out soon. So far, I had a very bad diet. I smoke and drink often..Maybe I should quit that. I've considered joining kick boxing as well. Since I don't have a good body weight, I look and feel shorter than I am. I'm very skinny. And I've been very lazy lately with no hobbies, no goals..that all adds up to my unhappiness.

• Like 1
regine_phalange
I'm a 22 year old and my height is 169 cm / 5'6 as my parents are short as well. This didn't bother me much before but now it's getting out of control. People tell me I look handsome but I feel like they're just being polite. I feel like I'm too short to date a girl and I know height is the first thing that matters to women. I look young for my age and I have the body of a 16 year old. It bothers me so much. Whenever I go out, I constantly compare my height to others and I start feeling frustrated about it. I hate being short...I keep asking myself..why was I born so short? I've got rejected a few times and that didn't bother me but It hurt when my best friend who told me she liked me and considered being in relationship but in the end, she felt like I'm too short and gave up. Sometimes, I feel depressed thinking about it. Basically, I hate looking young and I hate being so short.

That's not short! That's medium height. At least it is medium when I come from.

I used to have a boyfriend around your height who loved walking next to me especially when I was wearing heels (I'm 1.66 cm). He was proud like a peacock to take a "taller" girl out. Isn't that a kind of sexy attitude?

AnalogueAnimal,

1. You're not "short"

2. It is possible you could still grow some more ;

https://wellness1.knoji.com/growth-of-human-being-after-22-years-of-age/

Emotionally mature women are more interested in character and personality than physical appearance.

Stop the smoking and excess drinking. (It's not cool to smell like an ashtray or a brewery.) That should increase your chances with the opposite sex no end !

Get both your mind and body fit, and you're good to go. :)

thefooloftheyear
AnalogueAnimal,

1. You're not "short"

Yes he is...Average male height in the US is like 5'10".....

2. It is possible you could still grow some more ;

https://wellness1.knoji.com/growth-of-human-being-after-22-years-of-age/

Eh...at 22 years old....better odds playing the lottery..

Emotionally mature women are more interested in character and personality than physical appearance.

Yes, but some(many?) emotionally mature women will find a short/small guy repulsive, the same way a dumbell wouldn't care either way..Just like many emotionally mature men wouldn't consider a heavy woman..

Stop the smoking and excess drinking. (It's not cool to smell like an ashtray or a brewery.) That should increase your chances with the opposite sex no end !

Get both your mind and body fit, and you're good to go. :)

Agree with the rest of the post....;)

TFY

Dude I hear you, I'm 5'8 and I wish I was 6 flat. Well keep in mind that we do get shorter as we age, it's just a physiological fact, I can get into the details but I'll spare you the A&P lecture. I used to be pretty content with my height, I'm not certain why that has changed?