ouch -- ease my post work out pain

So it bit the bullet & joined the Y.

I worked out for the past two days & even took an Abs class yesterday. I had never taken a class of any type.

This morning I'm sore. Muscles I didn't know I had ache because they got used maybe for the 1st time in 20 years. :o

What do I do next? Rest? Work out more? Eat something? Shower? Hot tub?

Please educate me.

LadyDeadpool

Everything you've proposed sounds like a good idea.

I personally find that working out some more gets my muscles warmed up again, then I do some intensive stretching and I feel less sore afterwards.

Always make sure you stretch after a workout in order to decrease next day discomfort.

• Like 1
deathandtaxes

Work out different parts of the body in the meantime. Do some cardio etc. It won't hurt so bad the next time. I wouldn't do the same until you're not sore, but by all means mix it up. Fitness should be a nice variety and enjoyable.

Ninjainpajamas

Be careful not to push it too hard with consistent days if you're just starting out...you are going to get REALLY sore, and your muscles will ache very bad if you are pushing it hard, they may need time to heal depending on what you are doing.

It's a building up process and it simply takes time....a lot of time if you haven't used those muscles in 20 years.

You will see the results though...get plenty of rest (laying down, not sitting up), stretch, take hot baths and soak in EPSON salt and get a massage on some of those muscles as well if you can.

Make sure you eat well, with proteins and give yourself the fuel to recover.

It will take a lot of energy out of you and you may feel very drained and tired, your energy levels may need to build back up...so just simply rest.

For me it's not the day after that hurts most, it's the day after after.

Also in my football days, I used bengay and other pain relieving cream like nobodies business...it helped a lot for me, it's that icy-hot kind of stuff, also i like the sensation of it too...just make sure you don't touch your private parts during use :(

• Like 1

You always need to stretch real good first so you won't get as sore. You need to just stretch every muscle before working out and then I think it helps to do it after you're done as well.

• Like 1
runredlights

I need some numbers first. What's your age, height, weight, and bmi? What are your fitness goals?