Need a Gym Motivation Support Group

Serious. I find myself not attending the gym as much as I did a month ago.

Motivation is waning.

How do you motivate yourself to get off your a$$ and into the gym?

Edited by Brigit
StalwartMind

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” -Socrates

By all means, this is not the case for most people and nor does it have to be, but I do believe in the sense that it is in our own interest to be fit, so that we can enjoy a long life with less complications. My grandma was rocking some sort of activity even at an age old, and she rarely faced any real health issues.

In addition to that, maybe just a personal preference, but I always prefer doing activities with someone else. If you could bring a friend that might help too, granted I know that can be difficult in some circumstances. In general any kind of activity that works your body is great, there are other options than attending a gym.

• Like 1

Get into a consistent routine that doesn't overtake your life and is sustainable. You will always need discipline however. It can be too cold or too dark in the winter, too hot in the summer, too tired after work etc.

• Like 2
  • Author
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” -Socrates

By all means, this is not the case for most people and nor does it have to be, but I do believe in the sense that it is in our own interest to be fit, so that we can enjoy a long life with less complications. My grandma was rocking some sort of activity even at an age old, and she rarely faced any real health issues.

In addition to that, maybe just a personal preference, but I always prefer doing activities with someone else. If you could bring a friend that might help too, granted I know that can be difficult in some circumstances. In general any kind of activity that works your body is great, there are other options than attending a gym.

I actually like going to the gym once I'm there. I enjoy the feeling of lifting weights or taking a yoga class and stretching my body. But I'm starting to make excuses of why I don't need to go to the gym (too much housework, it's raining etc.) A month ago I was like "Woohoo! Work it." Now not so much.

I'm with you, Brigid. I hate, hate, hate the gym... I'll go once and then slide for two or three weeks.

Can't get the motivation whatsoever.

thefooloftheyear

I consider it a part of my life, the same as going to work, eating, etc...

Its cliche, but true motivation for just about anything needs to come from within..I don't need a cheering section, a pizza night, or a pat on the back.I cant speak for anyone else, but I dont count on this part of my life to be entertaining or fun...I can derive that from other venues...I put my chin strap on and go to work..

Its not for everyone, and everyone seeks their own comfort zone..That's fine...One thing that is a motivating factor is seeing progress, and reaching measurable goals..

TFY

• Author
I consider it a part of my life, the same as going to work, eating, etc...

Its cliche, but true motivation for just about anything needs to come from within..I don't need a cheering section, a pizza night, or a pat on the back.I cant speak for anyone else, but I dont count on this part of my life to be entertaining or fun...I can derive that from other venues...I put my chin strap on and go to work..

Its not for everyone, and everyone seeks their own comfort zone..That's fine...One thing that is a motivating factor is seeing progress, and reaching measurable goals..

TFY

Progress is helpful. But I think a cheering group might do me some good. :lmao:

loveweary11

Motivation is waning.

The secret to getting off your ass and going to the gym is this:

Don't go to the gym!

Get your home set up for workouts and you'll save yourself an hour a day (going to/from gym).

That saved hour can BE your workout.

• Author
The secret to getting off your ass and going to the gym is this:

Don't go to the gym!

Get your home set up for workouts and you'll save yourself an hour a day (going to/from gym).

That saved hour can BE your workout.

I love the travel excuse except my gym is a five minute drive.....:o

I did work out at home for a while and have tons of workout videos. Jessica Smith is my youtube guru but I tend to get a better workout at the gym. I just gotta go. Sometimes I put on my bathing suit as inspiration but I haven't been doing that lately. I need tough gym love.

I hate working out alone. I despise it. I ended up joining strength training/cardio classes and it's great working out with other people. It also helps that I pay an arm and a leg for them, so I used to make myself go just so I wouldn't lose the money. Now I love going to them. I guess you could say the money is my motivation, lol.

Now granted, I really don't have a choice. I have to be in shape for my job. I'm not sure I'd be going to the gym 5 days a week if I didn't... :o then again, as I started to lose more body fat and gain more muscle, for the first time in my life, I really started to love my body.

Try joining some classes at the gym and working out around others, I find it a lot more fun (I'd suggest free ones lol)

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

I think you have to try to engage yourself in the lifestyle and essentially make it a routine, once it's a habit it's actually hard to stop going.

You could join a forum, or a group of women online maybe, or join a class at the local gym. Try to immerse yourself in that "world" and make it a part of your life. There are plenty of people in the world with your exact same problem, and once you really get into a routine and start to see your body changing, it can be a real eye-opener and motivation for people, but often people expect results overnight or just kind of drag themselves through the workout without much effort.

A lot of women like classes, where you jump around...but not all of them, some of them enjoy weight-training, others even do a pole-dancing type of exercise to keep themselves in shape, there are all kinds of options. I think it's good to keep yourself stimulated and learning different work-outs and trying new things.

If you can get a group of people, like a meet-up group or something like that..it can help a lot with the motivation in actually going..so don't be afraid to try something new, it takes courage to experience things.

It's also important to to not to be so rigid and hard on yourself, a lot of people burn-out by trying to make this unrealistic pace for themselves...so they like go every or almost every day during for like a month and then it just gets too much and they flat out quit. People are notorious for overwhelming themselves with pressure when it comes to going to the gym or exercising in having this "all or nothing" kind of attitude.

But if you make it like a job, like a duty you have to do and you don't give yourself time to enjoy it or enjoy different aspects of it you just won't ever "get there"...for example for me working out can relieve stress or I daydream away and think about things in my day, sometimes I feel like punching something but lifting weights can be a way to channel that feeling of frustration.

There is no easy-way out, there's no way to install motivation into you, you've got to figure out how to motivate yourself and what works for you, but you have to willing to figure out options...but for people it's hard to get to that point when it seems like so much work, but it's just a matter of doing it and pushing yourself...which is often times to boulder on the path.

• Like 1
  • Author
I hate working out alone. I despise it. I ended up joining strength training/cardio classes and it's great working out with other people. It also helps that I pay an arm and a leg for them, so I used to make myself go just so I wouldn't lose the money. Now I love going to them. I guess you could say the money is my motivation, lol.

Now granted, I really don't have a choice. I have to be in shape for my job. I'm not sure I'd be going to the gym 5 days a week if I didn't... :o then again, as I started to lose more body fat and gain more muscle, for the first time in my life, I really started to love my body.

Try joining some classes at the gym and working out around others, I find it a lot more fun (I'd suggest free ones lol)

I do take all the free classes (yoga, pilates, barre etc.) and I do the weights. Today, I'm going to do 30 min on the treadmill and then do a full body work-out with the machines and free weights. Right now, I don't have any motivation to do this but I'm going to force myself. I was soooooooo into it a month ago. Now I'm just dragging...

I feel you Brigit - I'm struggling too, but for other reasons.

Over the last 8 months I lost an incredible amount of weight by a change of lifestyle and daily gym routine. In February I got into a relationship and stopped working out due to it.

Now she's broken up with me, i'm dying to get back into the gym and finding it hard. I feel like now that i've lost my weight, going to the gym isn't as appealing and I need a kick up the @ss to start going again!

Keep trying, for me, once I get to the gym, I feel better, like you said it's getting there that's the hardest part!

• Like 1

I couldn't get into the gym so I decided not to bother trying and got into martial arts instead!

Much more fun and constantly motivated to get better, plus its useful for self defence if it comes down to it :)

• Like 2
  • Author
I feel you Brigit - I'm struggling too, but for other reasons.

Over the last 8 months I lost an incredible amount of weight by a change of lifestyle and daily gym routine. In February I got into a relationship and stopped working out due to it.

Now she's broken up with me, i'm dying to get back into the gym and finding it hard. I feel like now that i've lost my weight, going to the gym isn't as appealing and I need a kick up the @ss to start going again!

Keep trying, for me, once I get to the gym, I feel better, like you said it's getting there that's the hardest part!

Congrats on the weight loss! I think I might be falling back into a depressive episode which is hampering my motivation.

Back in January I decided to join a fitness site to help me get into shape. I posted a bunch of pictures and got a lot of compliments. The positive reinforcement worked. I was working out seven days a week at home to youtube videos. After a month of that I joined the gym and got very excited about the whole gym life, weighing myself daily, eating clean, drinking protein drinks. I was taking tons of pictures of myself and posting bathing suit shots which got progressively sexier to see if I can get more "likes" and comments. I got addicted to the feedback and was essentially working out for the compliments. I became the ultimate "attention wh0re." My mind wasn't right but my body looked great. Then the whole thing got out of control and became something unhealthy so I pulled down all my pictures. Since then my desire to go to the gym has waned. My husband won't let me rejoin the site and post pictures for good reason. So now, I'm trying to get myself to the gym without the help of the pictures and it's not working.

• Like 1

You should take pictures and seek your own self approval of your achievements. That's what I did. Who cares what others think, once you go on holiday with your swimsuit on, your H will notice your achievement and you will feel great.

Do it for you, nobody else, that's what made it so much more appealing to me and ultimately lead to my success and happiness.

Time to find my own happiness again after being so co-dependant in a relationship... $hit is hard, but gym is definitely the way forward.

• Like 1
  • Author
You should take pictures and seek your own self approval of your achievements. That's what I did. Who cares what others think, once you go on holiday with your swimsuit on, your H will notice your achievement and you will feel great.

Do it for you, nobody else, that's what made it so much more appealing to me and ultimately lead to my success and happiness.

Time to find my own happiness again after being so co-dependant in a relationship... $hit is hard, but gym is definitely the way forward.

I went to the gym today. TBH I didn't have the best workout but I did it. Getting there is the hardest part.

• Like 1

The treadmill and gym are boring for me. I love to exercise outside, and also at home with DVDs that are upbeat and motivating (Shaun T products are my favorite).

For motivation: Bikini season! :bunny: I just love bikinis.

• Like 1
  • Author
The treadmill and gym are boring for me. I love to exercise outside, and also at home with DVDs that are upbeat and motivating (Shaun T products are my favorite).

For motivation: Bikini season! :bunny: I just love bikinis.

Today I did the ultimate outdoor workout. Worked in the garden and dug out a bed and planted some bushes. It was a full body workout and I worked all muscles to exhaustion. Tomorrow, I won't be able to move!

• Like 1
Today I did the ultimate outdoor workout. Worked in the garden and dug out a bed and planted some bushes. It was a full body workout and I worked all muscles to exhaustion. Tomorrow, I won't be able to move!

That's awesome!! Yard work is a very good and hard workout. I love to do it when I need a break from the gym but want to workout. I espically enjoy chopping wood lol

• Like 1
  • Author
That's awesome!! Yard work is a very good and hard workout. I love to do it when I need a break from the gym but want to workout. I espically enjoy chopping wood lol

I know what you mean. I have a hatchet and I chopped up a wood stump two months ago. (I had anger issues that day.)

• Like 1
I know what you mean. I have a hatchet and I chopped up a wood stump two months ago. (I had anger issues that day.)

It's all fine and dandy until you break your tool. Broken a few axes before lol

• Like 1
  • Author

Tomorrow I am going to the gym and lift heavy.

NO EXCUSES!!!!!!

Motivation is waning.

Having goals and deadlines has helped me a lot.

Ill be your cheerleader. Goooo brigit!!!! :laugh:

• Like 1
Having goals and deadlines has helped me a lot.

Ill be your cheerleader. Goooo brigit!!!! :laugh:

Thank you Hotpotato. I've been really good about working out recently. Yesterday I worked out with weights and pushed muscles to exhaustion. Today, I'm very sore. I need this type of physical stress to relax my mind. In fact, I need to work both my mind and body to exhaustion just to get through the day. I need extremes to have peace.