The one part of my body that I am not happy with at all is my arms. They are so skinny that I actually prefer to wear sleeves so I can cover them.

I don't go to the gym, but have a treadmill at home that I run on. I also pay attention to what I eat. I thought about buying weights so I can work out at home, but I don't know what I should buy to start or if it is even worth it?

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

It's unlikely that you would buy heavy enough weights for home. No-one can be so specific online with someone they never met. Besides, you'll need someone to monitor your form and put a program together. My advice is to join a lifters' gym where they coach you and to stop using the treadmill for anything apart from sprinting. Long sessions just make you emaciated-looking

• Like 2

Look up some basic starting programs like "Starting Strength". You can buy sets of weights second hand for a good prices, or look up depot's/warehouse style outlet places if you can. I got a good deal on a barbell and 125lb of weights from one a while back and have had good results trimming down and building some strength/muscle.

• Like 2
push ups... no weights required.

Bodyweight exercises are great, but have limits if you want to build mass or muscle right?

• Like 2
Bodyweight exercises are great, but have limits if you want to build mass or muscle right?

Yes. Steadily increasing resistance (ie weight) is key.

Ninjainpajamas

You can definitely get start increasing your arm size and strength by purchasing some dumbbells for home.

You'll want to buy dumbbells that you can increase weight, don't just go in and buy one pair of dumbbells and then use them every day.

I prefer metal and solid weights, rather than the plastic but it's not too important for now, get what you can afford...also the weights may not be accurate in their weight, oddly enough. Some weights are much lighter than others and that's likely if you purchase just your average bargain dumbbells from the store.

But either way, it's a place to start and you can find plenty of arm exercises to do online...arms is a fairly basic exercise, just don't swing the weight and keep your elbows at your side.

As far as buying a whole load of weights, I wouldn't recommend that or one of those all-in-one workout type machines.

If you get your hands on a simple bench, you can also do some chest exercises and other triceps exercises (which is what actually makes your arms look bigger).

You can do a lot with the basics and just your own body weight at the end of the day, it's just dependent on how serious you are, motivated and want to invest in effort wise...most people just buy those things and then they sit and collect dust after a short while of use, that's why it's generally better to get to the gym...plus you can do other exercises, but you definitely don't have to go to the gym especially if it's just not your interest right now.

Getting yourself exercising will motivate you to expand on what you know..or don't know, as long as you don't throw in the towel too quickly.

Join the gym, It will cost $10 a month maybe $20.

Do Pullups, Rows, Military Presses, Bench Presses, Dips, Squats and Deadlifts.

Eat, stay off the treadmill.

You don't need isolation movements. Stick with compound movements with the rep scheme heavy enough to do 5-8 reps.

I bought a curling bar a few years back and built up from curling just the bar (15 pounds) to 10 reps of 75, which gave me some decent upper body strength and definition for my bicepts. I definitely look a lot better in a tshirt than I used to and it certainly doesn't hurt that I'm strong enough to toss a girl around in bed now. As long as she's not a heffer.

I had a little bit of weight training beforehand though from someone who knew what he was talking about so I managed to never injure myself. Just make sure if you go that route you be patient and build yourself up slowly, along with never putting yourself in a position where you might not be able to get out of if you're alone. Ie bench pressing.

Oh yeah, and another plus, I don't have MRSA or any other nasty bacteria that comes with sharing equipment with a bunch of other disgusting guys at the gym. Don't even have to wash my cuts out most of the time I'm so clean. :cool:

The only thing that sucks is hauling the damn thing along with you when you move. Especially when you have to lug the 45 pound plates up a few flights of stairs.

loveweary11

Eat massive protein, hop off that treadmill for a bit and get (as others said), adjustable dumbbells.

I have a set that are more than adequate I am about to go use after this post.

I'm a huge advocate of working out at home? Zero excuses as compared to driving to a gym.

• Like 1
I bought a curling bar a few years back and built up from curling just the bar (15 pounds) to 10 reps of 75, which gave me some decent upper body strength and definition for my bicepts. I definitely look a lot better in a tshirt than I used to and it certainly doesn't hurt that I'm strong enough to toss a girl around in bed now. As long as she's not a heffer.

I had a little bit of weight training beforehand though from someone who knew what he was talking about so I managed to never injure myself. Just make sure if you go that route you be patient and build yourself up slowly, along with never putting yourself in a position where you might not be able to get out of if you're alone. Ie bench pressing.

I forgot the name, but you can buy a barbell and a bench with safety pins which doesnt allow the barbell to drop on your head if you fail. If you set the safety up so that it cant go lower than your body, you're save. It also doesnt help you with balancing the barbell, so its the same excersise.

Also, when you buy this barbell and bench with the safety things, you can squat and deadlift too. Thats a whole body workout right there.

• Like 1

I have the Bow Flex SelectTech adjustable dumbbells and I like them a lot for workouts at home. Each one is adjustable up to 52.5 pounds -- or you can get the more expensive ones that are adjustable to 90 pounds each.

• Author

Wow thank you all so much for the insight. I didn't know that going on the treadmill so much was a bad idea.

I think adjustable dumbbells would be the best investment. I can ask my brother if he wants to split the cost of them with me. Also, how many pushups would I need to do to have significant results?

SomeDude16

You don't need weights for home to get a good workout. If you prefer to use weights id suggest just a barbell set, otherwise body weight exercises with a pull-up bar will be more than sufficent. Body weight exercises actually lead to more strength than you'd expect.

• Like 1
SycamoreCircle

My advice is don't workout at home. There's just no motivation there. If you can find a moderately priced gym(and it is possible), you'll be entering a world of neatness, symmetry, mirrors, muscular men, toned women, struggling-to-be muscular men, " - " - " toned women. This environment will energize you, will condition your mind. Home is where you relax, home has softened corners, and softened light. Not conducive to weight training at all...

My advice is don't workout at home. There's just no motivation there. If you can find a moderately priced gym(and it is possible), you'll be entering a world of neatness, symmetry, mirrors, muscular men, toned women, struggling-to-be muscular men, " - " - " toned women. This environment will energize you, will condition your mind. Home is where you relax, home has softened corners, and softened light. Not conducive to weight training at all...

Motivation is useless if you want to keep working out. He needs dedication. Investing in a home gym makes him invested into staying dedicated, of else it was all just a waste.

Anyways, like someone else has said, body weight training results into strength and muscle density, weight training results in mass and strength.

Depends on what you want to achieve. I do both

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah being motivated at home isn't really an issue for me. I understand what you're saying though.

Would I need anything in particular to do body weight exercises? Like a mat for push ups or something? I did a few push ups before work today, but have no idea how many I should be doing. I just want my arms to look bigger, so whatever gets me that is what I'm trying to achieve.

Yeah being motivated at home isn't really an issue for me. I understand what you're saying though.

Would I need anything in particular to do body weight exercises? Like a mat for push ups or something? I did a few push ups before work today, but have no idea how many I should be doing. I just want my arms to look bigger, so whatever gets me that is what I'm trying to achieve.

Id say a great starter kit would be a yoga mat/ towel, pull-up bar, medicine ball, and ab roller.

For big arms just do pull-ups. Strict form, full dead hang. When those get easy, add weight. You'd be surprised how big your arms can get.

Work in the 8-12 rep range....

Also play "cards" with your exercises, keeps you active and is fun.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the treadmill. Keep it up, just add in some weights.

If you're willing to dish out on a good set of adjustable dumbbells, which can cost a couple hundred dollars, then that's about all you need.

I've also got a ton of mileage out of these resistance bands. High quality, pretty comfortable and versatile. Throw one stopper on top of a door, another on the bottom, and you can do most of your push/pull exercises.

You can't get bigger without weights, you know this isn't really the best place on the internet to seek advice for something like this. It's an interpersonal relationships messaging board. Try the likes of t-nation.com

This is a bread and butter home WOD:

- 10 pushups

- 10 butterfly situps (or other core exercise such as flutter kicks or superman back extensions)

- 10 squats (with time increase to 15)

Start at 8 rounds and work your way up to 12. You should be able to knock it out in about 15 minutes.

A variation I use is to substitute diamond pushups every other round to focus specifically on the triceps. Start with a 2:1 ratio on diamonds. That is 5 diamonds = 10 regulation pushups.

fitnessfan365

Gaining muscle has WAY more to do with calorie intake than anything else. A lot of people seriously underestimate how many calories they should be taking in. I remember one of my clients back in the day wanted to gain 20lbs of muscle. He didn't start gaining 1lb a week until he started taking in 4,000 plus calories a day and he started out @ 160 and was moderately active.

However, you can still gain size just by doing compound exercises starting with your own body weight. Then as you get stronger,I recommended purchasing a weighted vest. Trying to do push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc with an extra 25-50lbs strapped on will give you plenty of resistance. Also, as weird as this will sound, if you want your upper body to grow, you NEED to also train your legs. Your legs are the biggest muscles on your body and release the most amount of testosterone in your body naturally when they're trained hard. Plus, you don't want to look like a pizza slice with being wide on top and skinny on the way down. :D

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

Much of this also depends on the person..Someone with good genetics doesn't need much in the way of equipment...Heck, I built a physique at 17 years old that was probably better than 75% of people training in gyms now with nothing more than a bunch of cement filled plastic weights a few bars and a crude bench..

There are guys that are in prisons that cant train or eat properly, yet would embarrass most guys that go to gyms..There was a Jamaican guy I worked construction with years ago that ate like garbage, smoked 2 packs a day, and never set foot in a gym in his life, yet looked bigger/better than anyone I knew at the time...

Anyway...

If you want to buy some stuff, there is loads available on Craigslist for pennies...I think if you had a decent sized basement, you could set yourself up pretty well..And like others have stated, dont discount simple bodyweight movements...These can have a pretty good effect if implemented properly..

TFY