Skinny guy trying to gain weight.

Hi guys, need some insight on my current eating habits, which I installed 4 days ago.

I need you to tell me what I need to add/cut to my list, or tell me it's good/it sucks.

Here it goes:

Breakfast:

• Pancake (made of 5 eggs and 2 banana's and a bit cinamon, nothing else)
  • 450 ml milk

Snack:

• 1 banana
  • 450 ml milk

Lunch:

• 70g oatmeal with 500 ml milk
  • 200g chickenbreast on a sandwich with slices tomatoes cucumber and cabbage

snack:

• banana
  • Something random that I desire

Dinner:

• 100 gram brown rice
  • 200 gram steak
  • 200 gram potatoes

Before sleep:

• 50 gram whey proteine with 500 ml milk
  • Tablespoon honey

(Additional)

On working-out days I take a post workout proteine shake of 50 gram and 500 ml milk, and a banana.

All this adds up to a bit more then 3000 calories.

Macro's are:

47% Carbs (377g)

22% Fat (79g)

31% Proteine (252g)

I'm 62 kg, 1,75m and just turned 20.

My goal is to gain atleast 15kg in the next 12 months.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Edit: Working out = weight training.

Edited by Lizrd3000
loveweary11

I apologize for not converting the units, but lunch looks a little light.

Bananas, oatmeal and brown rice will fill your stomach without many calories.

Replace those with sugars and fats.

• Like 2
amaysngrace

You're gonna get constipated if you eat too much of the BRAT diet so I'm not sure if being full of crap is the best way to gain weight.

How about putting some butter on your food instead?

• Like 2
Art_Critic

something to remember and this is coming from someone who was only 114lbs when I graduated for HS is that time has a way of putting weight on you.

I'm 52 years old, 5'9" and 153ish lbs today and the only thing that put on the weight was time and getting older..

I know at 20 you are looking to gain weight but you aren't underweight and in 10 years your metabolism will slowly start slowing down and you will gain weight naturally...

I hope you don't gain a bunch of weight and then 10 years from now have trouble keeping it off...

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Art_Critic

DQ hot fudge shakes/large each day should do it...:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Author
You're gonna get constipated if you eat too much of the BRAT diet so I'm not sure if being full of crap is the best way to gain weight.

I haven't really had any problems as of yet, no idea how long that should take though. Only have been eating this the last 4 days, so...

anyways, as for your suggestion, putting some butter on my food? for what reason? and on which kinds of foods? I really dislike the idea of butter and oatmeal :lmao:

@ Artcritic

I'm trying to put on muscle, not just random weight.

@loveweary11

I know it does, but my breakfast is pretty big, for me atleast, and I can't really get myself to eat more during lunch, but I might add some as time goes on and I'm used to my new eating habits.

As for replacing banana's oatmeal and rice, which foods could I replace them for? Many people have told me that banana's are a great way to get some calories, and I do agree, they're fairly easy to get in. (sounds wrong, ik)

amaysngrace

Butter goes really well with bread. And pancakes.

:confused:

Peanut butter is fattening too and goes well with bananas.

• Like 1
  • Author
Butter goes really well with bread. And pancakes.

Peanut butter is fattening too and goes well with bananas.

I'll try it out first thing in the morning, the pancakes are really just a way for me to eat eggs without throwing up, so I added banana's to make it sweet. Haven't really thought of adding something on it, but I'll try adding some butter for the fat!

Also forgot to mention that I use olive oil for everything that I bake, alot of it too. didn't add that in the calculations of the diet because I'm not sure how much I use.

Thanks for the quick replies! Any ideas on what I should replace the occasional banana for? and something to add to my lunch that's easy to eat but a little big too?

• Author
Eat meat. Tons of it. Protein shakes are OK, but you want to get most of your protein from food, not drinks. I recommend eating a lot of chicken and fish with the occasional steak tossed in. Eat carbs for breakfast for energy and protein later in the day, especially after the workout.

When you lift weights, go heavy. Work on strength training at first. No one gets big by picking up light weights, so work on strength until you get good and strong. Find a good strength building workout routine online and stick with it. Focus on compound workouts like bench press, deadlift, and squats.

I'm currently on a program made by a fitness instructor / personal trainer at my gym to increase strength, it's a 4 week program. It consists of a full body workout every other day, it includes bench press (& inclined) and other compound workouts, but also chin ups and dips untill failure, and some other excersises. I trust that it's a good schedule.

amaysngrace
Any ideas on what I should replace the occasional banana for? and something to add to my lunch that's easy to eat but a little big too?

Cheeseburgers?

• Like 2
amaysngrace
Ha! My kind of girl! When I was in a little better shape, I remember some guys asked me what I was eating to go along with my weight training. I said cheeseburgers and pizza. I don't think they believed me but it was mostly true.

I don't really understand this thread at all.

amaysngrace
OP is a thin guy looking to put on some muscle.

Yeah. I guess you're right.

I just don't understand why if he's trying to bulk up he chooses bananas and oatmeal.

What about a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw for veggies? That'd probably work better than rice.

No squats or deadlifts? Nothing puts on mass better than deadlifts. How many sets and reps of bench presses do you do?

Second this. OP you won't gain size doing pull ups, you need to go heavy on compound lifts such as the deadlift. Don't trust your personal trainer, many of them are rubbish. 4 weeks? That's not a program.

These articles will help you: http://www.t-nation.com

• Like 1

What do you need to put on muscle for? If you are trying to choke down food without throwing up then that is not healthy at all. Deadlifts, squats, blah blah...get a manual labor job if you want to build real strength

What do you need to put on muscle for? If you are trying to choke down food without throwing up then that is not healthy at all. Deadlifts, squats, blah blah...get a manual labor job if you want to build real strength

.... And earn **** money for the rest of his life. Great advice....

OP I forgot to mention beginner lifting programs that will help you to get your head around this. Google 'Starting Strength' and 'Stronglift 5x5'

• Like 1
  • Author

OP I forgot to mention beginner lifting programs that will help you to get your head around this. Google 'Starting Strength' and 'Stronglift 5x5'

Thanks for the advice.

But isn't it true that I'll make gains whatsoever if I just push myself and **** my muscles up before I leave?

Like today, I totally gave it my all, and went out of the gym jawning and I had no more energy to lift. I did feel great mentally though. Isnt that good despite whichever program I follow? I do feel as if I'm doing a good job.

I did invent some things here and there myself in the program the guy made me, as I felt like I could do more when I was in the gym. I do lift as heavy as I can too.

Thanks for the advice.

But isn't it true that I'll make gains whatsoever if I just push myself and **** my muscles up before I leave?

Like today, I totally gave it my all, and went out of the gym jawning and I had no more energy to lift. I did feel great mentally though. Isnt that good despite whichever program I follow? I do feel as if I'm doing a good job.

I did invent some things here and there myself in the program the guy made me, as I felt like I could do more when I was in the gym. I do lift as heavy as I can too.

No it isn't enough. There is a thing called programming. If you don't do it, you won't gain after 3 months or so. Beginners gain a lot early on since you start with nothing. You have to steadily work towards understanding what your 1 max rep is (what max you can lift in your 4 major lifts) because in order to strenght train and / or gain size, you have to learn that different weights do different things to your body. https://www.t-nation.com/training/from-0-to-100-know-your-percentages

Stronglift 5x5 is dead simple though. That's what I started on then graduated to 5/3/1. That was much harder mentally.

• Like 1
  • Author
No it isn't enough. There is a thing called programming. If you don't do it, you won't gain after 3 months or so. Beginners gain a lot early on since you start with nothing. You have to steadily work towards understanding what your 1 max rep is (what max you can lift in your 4 major lifts) because in order to strenght train and / or gain size, you have to learn that different weights do different things to your body. https://www.t-nation.com/training/from-0-to-100-know-your-percentages

Stronglift 5x5 is dead simple though. That's what I started on then graduated to 5/3/1. That was much harder mentally.

I read the page, but I feel quite stupid for asking this question.

Are the percentages about the max weight you're able to lift? Like if my max is 60KG, and I wanna do the 80% ''load'', am I supposed to do 48KG in my sets?

Thanks for the link!

ascendotum
Yeah. I guess you're right.

I just don't understand why if he's trying to bulk up he chooses bananas and oatmeal.

What about a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw for veggies? That'd probably work better than rice.

I also thought he was light on for veges. You dont want to miss out on essential nutrients & minerals. I personally don't think a scrawny guy starting out has to do the conventional rice/oats/chicken with no skins/potato type body builder diet. Bulking up for me was the best, you get fat + muscle from the workouts. I love roast meals and often I would eat 2 a day along with hamburgers and cans of coke, double desert & breakfast helpings and the protein shakes. I was like AC and just filling out my clothes was the greater goal than looking ripped. To me it was better than having a body like bruce lee (for many yrs I did have that build). I got fussier with my diet as I got older plus as I got bigger then I could focus on muscle building quality diet.

• Like 1

What is he going to make lifting weights?

• Like 1
I read the page, but I feel quite stupid for asking this question.

Are the percentages about the max weight you're able to lift? Like if my max is 60KG, and I wanna do the 80% ''load'', am I supposed to do 48KG in my sets?

Thanks for the link!

It's what it means but the first thing you should do is find someone who can teach you how to perform these lifts with good form and keep an eye on your progress. It took me about a month to get to my 1 rep max when I used to go to a proper lifters' gym and I was coached there. THEN sorted out the %s after.

Speak to your trainer to see if he can help you with this. Most people are terrible in the beginning and you don't want hernia, slipped disk, etc.

The thing about lifting is that the carry over to other sports is big. Sprinters lift, rugby players lift, etc. agility and power all have strength as the starting point. Without getting strong you won't progress in anything.

What is he going to make lifting weights?

nothing I'd imagine. It's a hobby, not a living. He probably won't need to spend more than 4-6 hours a week doing it, won't interfere with his career in fact indirectly will probably help it.

• Author
It's what it means but the first thing you should do is find someone who can teach you how to perform these lifts with good form and keep an eye on your progress. It took me about a month to get to my 1 rep max when I used to go to a proper lifters' gym and I was coached there. THEN sorted out the %s after.

Speak to your trainer to see if he can help you with this. Most people are terrible in the beginning and you don't want hernia, slipped disk, etc.

The thing about lifting is that the carry over to other sports is big. Sprinters lift, rugby players lift, etc. agility and power all have strength as the starting point. Without getting strong you won't progress in anything.

Thanks for the reply guys.

My trainer did show me how to do the lifts he wanted me to do, which includes bench press etc. A friend of mine who has been working out dor 1.5 years has shown me how to do flyes, squats and all the other necessary things.

thanks for the advice, ill go to the gym today and see what my maxes are. Why did it take a month for you to find out though?

And guys, im 20 years old. I dont have a carreer yet lmao. Im going to school. And i dont want to make money with this. Im doing it for myself.

SycamoreCircle

I think it's also important you be aware of your body type: endo, meso, or ectomorph. Your body is only going to be capable of certain things. My advice is to identify your body type, find someone in popular culture whose look you like that resembles your body type and work towards that.

Ninjainpajamas

A pasta with chicken would be a nice replacement for a sandwich and oatmeal.

Throw that banana into a blender with your protein and you can add other fruit to make a smoothie for a snack.

Throw in unsalted nuts for a snack as well, and you can eat like a protein "yogurt" with it.

Kick the brown rice, and don't forget to add your veggies and salads too.

Up the intake a little bit on the protein to 300g chicken...but not sure how much I like the pancake with 5 eggs...I would try to cut back on the cholesterol if I were you.

And I love me some apple juice, so the sugary drinks wouldn't you too much either.

At the end of the day you're taking in 3000 cal...you're going to gain weight and muscle, it's just going to take time to grow...i wouldn't go too crazy with it or be too anxious, it'll come in time.

You're also still very young, you haven't gotten your "man" body yet and you're going to have your naturally bigger parts and less so, but as you age that's when your metabolism slows down a bit and you should gain a little bit more size naturally and your body tends to shift a bit, I was quite skinny as a kid, but since I lifted weights in highschool I put on a lot of muscle, it didn't take until my early 20's to really put on size, although I was very strong...so you just probably don't have a naturally big muscular frame so you're not going to get HUGE easily, its going to take some time.

• Like 1