Where to begin with getting healthy?

Penguin_hugs

Hi there

I'm just after some advice really- as I'm not quite sure where to start with things!

Basically 4 years ago (before I started Uni) I was a bit overweight and it made me unhappy. I'm about 5ft 3 and weighed 10st 10.

I decided to make a change and managed to drop 2 and a half stone over 2 years. I did this mainly by walking a lot (to uni, around campus etc- I used to spend over 2hrs min a day walking) and cutting my portion sizes by measuring things like rice and pasta out. I was good and pretty much stopped snacking, cut out eating potatoes and dessert etc.

About 18 months ago my doctor told me I could do with putting on a few pounds as I was starting to get underweight- I was about 8st 2 at that point. So I added in the occasional treats, started eating potato again etc. Plus I met my boyfriend, and he loves eating out for dinner and going to tea shops for a slice of cake. Which hasn't been great on my waist line!

Then exam stress hit last year and I started snacking on biscuits etc in a big way. I put on weight and was not really happy about it. During the summer I was planning on a lot of exercise- but I ended up getting a job and was working for 40hrs a week for 2 months- and I was on my feet all day- after that the last thing I wanted to do was go to the gym! Plus living at home meant my mother's portion sizes...

I intended on losing weight once I started back at Uni last September- but it's been the most stressful year I have ever had. For most of the year I have been sat at a desk for 12 hours a day studying- and with that came stress eating of bad foods- biscuits, donuts etc. I felt like I couldn't help myself.

Finally I am finished with Uni, so I know I have to make a change. I stepped on the scales and was 10st 8- which really upset me and has spurred me to make a proper change.

The problem is I am really struggling to curb my appetite- the last 2 days I've been eating a bit better- I had salads for lunch etc, but then my blood sugar would drop around 4pm and I'd binge on something bad!

Basically- how do I prevent the cravings constantly for bad foods? I want to be more active too. I can't join a gym for another 3 months, so I am just left with whatever I can do on the street.

The long story short- my weight has fluctuated with stress. How do I make a healthy change now, reduce cravings for bad food and get back on the exercise wagon?!

Edited by Penguin_hugs
pressed enter before finishing!
loveweary11

This is going to be a very difficult decision.

You are coming to realize desk jobs are very unhealthy. You are going to uni, I presume, to land a desk career... yet that career will make you less healthy.

You can't have both. You can't sit at a desk 10 hours a day and be healthy.

You are very in tune with your body and that is more than most people. Are there more physically active positions you can get with your major? Ones that require more walking and less sitting?

The one thing you mentioned that really stood out to me was eating as a result of stress. If you cam find another outlet for your stress, or even figure out a different way to not be stressed at all, that would go a long way toward your goals even while you are too tired to work out.

I gave up desk jobs a while back because of the lack of exercise.

However, like you, I'm working so hard right now, it's difficult to exercise. I've lost a fair amount of muscle and have to build it all back now. :(

Yes of course you can have a desk job and be fit and healthy. What nonsense.

OP, treats and extremes are not good. Walking most days combined with weight training a couple of times a week. Eat only 3x a day, always fresh, no crap. High in protein and vegetables, very little carbs (mainly rice), fruit. No juicing or any 'low fat' (ie high in sugar) nonsense. Don't go for fads and extreme diets. Increase muscle content in your body, that's how you burn calories. View food as fuel, not an emotional crutch

• Like 2
  • Author
Penguin_hugs

Thankyou for your reply

Actually the desk sitting was only while studying- I've finished my degree (last week) and start work in 2 months. My career isn't actually that sedentary- I'll be on my feet dashing about- I'm a healthcare professional- but I'd rather not specify further.

During the exam period- my eating habits became erratic, I wouldn't be cooking proper meals. I'm trying to be better now- it's more that I just have cravings for junk permanently at the moment!

I'm hoping to be a little less stressed for the next year, but I have to study while working for this year. I'm hoping I will get in to a good routine and be able to include gym trips and exercise classes after working. Any tips for other stress outlets?

You get cravings because your blood sugar goes up and down. Something you have to learn to manage, don't be lazy with cooking, some foods only take 20 minutes. Deal with stress through exercise.

• Like 1
loveweary11
Thankyou for your reply

Actually the desk sitting was only while studying- I've finished my degree (last week) and start work in 2 months. My career isn't actually that sedentary- I'll be on my feet dashing about- I'm a healthcare professional- but I'd rather not specify further.

During the exam period- my eating habits became erratic, I wouldn't be cooking proper meals. I'm trying to be better now- it's more that I just have cravings for junk permanently at the moment!

I'm hoping to be a little less stressed for the next year, but I have to study while working for this year. I'm hoping I will get in to a good routine and be able to include gym trips and exercise classes after working. Any tips for other stress outlets?

Ah, perfect!

Health care will be much better for you. :)

Maybe you can somehow replace the junk cravings with better choices or at least eat less of the junk each time?

Also, when very busy, I make a big slow cooker of a protein base, store it, then eat it with a vegetable and carb, freshly prepared in 5 mins each day of the week. Nearly no cooking, except on weekends.

For those less informed people who don't understand just how unhealthy a desk job is, have a Google of it. Here's an article as well:http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/killer-chairs-how-desk-jobs-ruin-your-health/

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 1
Clarence_Boddicker

Stop eating toxic foods. Avoid anything bad like: Simple carbs, processed foods, bad oils, etc. Limit or cut out stuff that may cause issues with you: Most grains, dairy, eggs & meat. If you can afford it, go all organic.

Drink at least half a gallon of water a day. Try not to eat anything after 6-8 pm.

Try to eat a balanced diet of mainly fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, beans & non wheat grains.