Cardio-shape without losing fit appearance?

empresario

background --

I have been on my fitness journey for around 5 years. Before that, I was 6'2'', 155 lbs, and got tired walking up a flight of steps. I am an extreme ectomorph. A couple months ago I was 185 lbs and about 12% body fat.

Because of my body type, I can eat a lot of carbs and get cardio "in-shape" by heavy weight-lifting or natural muscle building like rock climbing. I am always stronger than I look.

Recently, I had a hand accident where a softball split my fingers open like a chicken wish-bone. Long story. Point is, it's been a month now that I haven't been able to work out at all. And now my hand is still recovering but I feel good enough to start up my diet/exercise again.

In the mean time, my exercise and diet are non-existent. I've lost 15 lbs from 185 to 170 (part of it was stress and ADHD medicine).

Since I still can't do heavy weights with my bum hand, I figured now would be a good time to get in marathon shape. Problem is, when I did that before, I had the 'skinny fat guy' runner's body and still weighed 185. I want to avoid that.

Goal--

So, here is my question. What would you recommend for diet/exercise for an ectomorph if he would like to get in shape without looking out of shape? The point is, being able to do a marathon or Spartan race without looking like a runner. Right now, even out of shape, I can run a few miles without elevating my heart-rate...but I don't think I could complete a marathon.

Thanks in advance! I can give more details if you all think it's necessary. However those that have seen my posts know it's far too easy for me to get verbose...so I try to avoid it. Even with one hand out of commission I still type way too fast.