Baking Soda/Hydrogen Peroxide Toothpaste and Sensitive Gums...???

I have been using a toothpaste with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

I have noticed its irritating and hurting my gums. Mostly my gums on the inside of my cheeks...not my actual gums on my teeth per-se. BUT...I am a little worried as I think it could be early signs of Gum Disease/Gingivitis.

At my last dentist appointment (~ 2 years ago)...I got a "fair"condition assessment.

I have been going thru a lot of stress and fatigue lately. Couple that with low self esteem and a bad diet (high sugar/salt). Therefore...my teeth brushing hasn't been consistent. Its on and off.

CONS/ISSUES:

1. Receding gums (brushing teeth too hard/long routine) (dentist diagnosed me with bruxism/teeth grinding and said I need a guard)

2. Sensitive cheek gums to baking soda/Hydrogen Peroxide toothpaste. Other toothpastes don't do this to me and I am usually good.

3. I have crooked teeth and it makes it hard for me to reach certain areas/cracks/crevices when brushing and flossing. Therefore I get tartar/plaque buildup if I don't keep my brushing regime top notch.

4. Teeth hurts when I eat sweets.

PROS:

1. My gums look fine (color wise) except for the receding. They do bleed when I brush/floss.

2. My teeth are solid/strong and not loose.

Gum disease/Gingivitis maybe...??? See a dentist asap...???

Edited by Stay_Gold
TaraMaiden2

I hate to break it to you but it's probably age + earlier neglect.

I have awful teeth.

I could eat spaghetti through a tennis raquet...

Ok, maybe that's exaggerating a bit, but I don't like them. But they're as strong as Billy-oh.

I'm in my late 50's and I have a total of all my teeth (minus wisdoms) and only 2 fillings.

Buy an electric toothbrush, and don't apply excess pressure.

But a good quality toothpaste which guards against sensitivity.

Brush for a timed 2 minutes morning AND evening. (yes, there's an app and I downloaded it!)

Do not use mouthwashes.

Your sensitivity is due to exposed tooth root.

With care, as described above, this will diminish.

Drink loads of good frsh water, and try to cut back on salt.

There is a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) connection between your teeth, and your kidneys.

too long and convoluted to go into here, but please trust me, having studied it intently for 4 years, there IS a connection - and the water will help.

• Like 1
MuddyFootprints

My dentist recommended a power brush, too, as he felt I was brushing too hard.

Check out oil pulling with coconut oil. I haven't tried that yet, but it looks interesting.

• Author
My dentist recommended a power brush, too, as he felt I was brushing too hard.

Check out oil pulling with coconut oil. I haven't tried that yet, but it looks interesting.

Haha...Im reading/researching the oil pulling right now as we speak. They call it remineralizing the teeth. It looks somewhat promising. Im gonna have to look into it more. I would also like to see more statistics/data/people for it to convince me.

But I am a stickler for "old fashioned/doctor" solutions and not so much into the alternative organic remedy side of health.

I used a Phillips Sonicare for the last 4-5 years. Just recently this year I switched back to manual because the god damn thing broke and because I can't AFFORD the brushes. Their too damn expensive.

BUT like you...I brushed too hard and too long.

Buy an electric toothbrush, and don't apply excess pressure.

Do not use mouthwashes.

Your sensitivity is due to exposed tooth root.

With care, as described above, this will diminish.

Drink loads of good frsh water, and try to cut back on salt.

Electric toothbrush comment ^^^.

I use Listerine and Crest Prohealth. I am gonna try the no mouthwash for a couple weeks and see if anything helps.

Yes...I do think the sensitivity to sweets is because of exposed tooth roots.

• Like 1

baking soda and perioxide deter gingivitis, it does not produce it!

My doctor prescribed me a toothpaste for my sensitive teeth and gums. it worked! Took six months but gums are healthy again. call your dentist. I was told to use the 5% perioxide rinse every other day. No mouthwash as it has junk in it.

the problem with too much perioxide rinse is it removes the enamel... thus why its best to follow the dentist recommendation.

whichwayisup

Rinse your mouth out with salt and warm water every night before bed. Use a toothpaste that helps with sensitive teeth (sensodine or something similar to that). It's not good to use so much baking soda on your teeth as it strips the enamel. Why not use regular toothpaste and then get a (referred) mouth wash the helps prevent gum disease. Ask your family Dr. or dentist about this mouth rinse.

Floss your teeth at least once a day, it'll help get your gums healthier.

Art_Critic

If your gums bleed that is an indication that you aren't brushing your teeth and gums right as well as not flossing properly.. It can also mean you have decay in or around those areas that bleed.

Make sure you use an antiseptic mouth wash as we'll as a good fluoride toothpaste and learn to use floss properly and make sure you lightly brush your gums.. You don't need a course hard bristles but a soft toothbrush too, that will help with you brushing too much or hard.

Your gum loss if they are bleeding isn't coming from too much brushing but from the bacteria caused by not brushing properly and enough as well as flossing.