I don't own a scale, so I only get a weight check at the doctor's. So, went to the doctor's last week and after 1.5 years my weight is exactly the same, no change at all, yet body fat decreased from 19.7 to 17.2. I don't understand how I can drop body fat but not weight? Can someone explain, please? I am a regular exerciser and good-eater and have been for years, but I don't do any weight training so I don't know if this is normal? My theory is that fat turned to muscle??

You don't grow muscle without weight training, fat doesn't turn to muscle.

I'm guessing too that the measurement wasn't very accurate. It's very hard to get it right.

• Like 1

Are you sure you didn't gain muscle? Do your clothes fit differently?

Yes, you can gain muscle without weight training. It depends on what kind of activity one is doing.

How did the doc measure your body fat? if I wanted to measure my bodyfat, I'd get a dexa scan or water displacement, if I could afford it.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Someone that really knows how to properly use a caliper can get pretty close....

If you are relying on the devices sold where you put your hands on it and get a reading, forget it...They are worthless..

TFY

• Author
Are you sure you didn't gain muscle? Do your clothes fit differently?

Yes, you can gain muscle without weight training. It depends on what kind of activity one is doing.

How did the doc measure your body fat? if I wanted to measure my bodyfat, I'd get a dexa scan or water displacement, if I could afford it.

they used a fancy scale that (presumably) told them. but based on the responses it seems they were off.