Once you're in Shape...Is it a Life Long Battle to stay in Shape??

This probably sounds stupid....

But once you start eating better, get a good

exercise thing going, working out etc... You are

pretty much setting yourself up for a life long pursuit

to stay that way, well, if you wanna stay in shape..right???

When they say eat good, Doesn that mean No Soda or Ice Cream

or fried Foods??? I eat that stuff all the time.

I have no idea about Nutrition or exercise, other than running.

and was just asking..

Yes my friend it is a life long battle,

Everything in moderation, eat the ice cream and onion rings, just not all the time

I wouldn't call it a lifelong battle at all, you guys make it sound like the near-impossible war or something.

I call it a lifestyle, not a battle.

• 2 weeks later...

totally, not a life long battle. instead a life long series of rewards! set small goals, achieve them, feel great and set another. yes, it must be a lifestyle change.

"When they say eat good, Doesn that mean No Soda or Ice Cream

or fried Foods??? I eat that stuff all the time"

There's your problem. all that stuff is horrible. when they say eat good, they mean clean foods. Lean white meat and fish, green veggies, clean sources of carbs (brown rice, unprocessed grains).

cut out the processed sugars and fried foods. it's hard at first but after a while you'll feel so much better and the thought of eating that crap will make you sick.

Just don't see it as a struggle. A healthy lifestyle is sooo rewarding!

Yes, it's a lifestyle and it's lifelong, which is why it's a bad idea to cut out all treats. Eventually you'll blow and pig out on them. Instead, have the goodies you like but have them in small quantities and not very often. That way you're not deprived but nor are you harming yourself.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a battle either. Not that you might not have days where it might feel that way, but not always!

You just have to accept that most people cannot be fit and of a healthy weight without exercising daily and moderating their eating.

You CAN have those goodies, but like other people mentioned, it must be in smaller amounts or less often. Your habits must change. You can't just diet for a bit and exercise like mad and then expect to stay fit when you stop doing those things.

I would call it a lifelong daily commitment, not battle.

goodnbad

It also has something to do with your body type and your metabolism and your thyroid and hormones, etc. I had a friend growing up who was always just short and heavy. She exercised and played in sports like tennis and swimming and waterskiing, but she was always just heavy. I was a sports-phobe and I still only like dancing and yoga, and I have always had a nice figure.

Also, if you grow up eating right it's just a lot easier. My mom only cooked very traditionally and didn't buy junk food (mainly because she cooked Vietnamese food except for on holidays). We never ate at restarurants or fast food places. So I just eat the way I grew up eating. And I'm cheap. :laugh:

Originally posted by blind_otter

I had a friend growing up who was always just short and heavy. She exercised and played in sports like tennis and swimming and waterskiing, but she was always just heavy.

This is just my opinion, but I bet that maybe she was compulsive/binge eater. Probably eating tons of food in secret. Being one myself (and also being like she was, pretty active but always also 'mysteriously' heavy), I know a good many tricks to stuffing food.

Not that there aren't a few out there who have strange metabolisms, etc, but I believe that in general the same rules apply to everyone.....you eat too much or too little and your body reflects it.

This topic brings to mind the comments I've read so many times on the eating disorder boards, how many people really do eat too much or starve themselves, and how their family and friends have NO idea what is really going on. I hate to think it is an epidemic, but honestly there are so many of us out there. It is certainly not rare, that's for sure. :(

goodnbad

• Author

[color=darkred]I was jus asking. And I've been reading some stuff....

I Guess it's just junk foods, desserts and sweets in Moderation

and exercise. But You guys are right, every body is different,

Metabolisms are different.

I'm learning that you have to Eat Healthy, use sugars in Moderations and Exercise.

and You'll stay fit. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. Just gotta get myself to commit.[/color]

Staying healthy isn't as difficult as a lot of people make it out to be. Culturally, most of us are used to unhealthy/unnatural lifestyles. Do you think our body's are really at there most efficient on soda pop and french fries?

It's more a matter of making a mental commitment than anything else. For some people, saying that they will eliminate french fries and soda pop from their diet is like trying to quit smoking for other people. Likewise, making a twenty minute workout commitment twice a week may seem a daunting task for those accustomed to channel surfing.

Like any major life change, it is usually better to start with smaller goals and build confidence working towards larger goals.

• Author

I Support this post 100%. You hit the nail on the head.

Originally posted by starlingsp Do you think our body's are really at there most efficient on soda pop and french fries?

It's more a matter of making a mental commitment than anything else. For some people, saying that they will eliminate french fries and soda pop from their diet is like trying to quit smoking for other people. Likewise, making a twenty minute workout commitment twice a week may seem a daunting task for those accustomed to channel surfing.

Like any major life change, it is usually better to start with smaller goals and build confidence working towards larger goals.