I'm TOO skinny, how can I bulk up without looking HUGE? Should I not run?

I'm a scrawny 28 year old dude. Kinda like Leo Dicaprio used to look.

-Long skinny arms

-5'10

-skinny legs

-skinny neck

-skinny wrists

-a little flab round my tummy and backside from not exercising.

I know we are born how we are born. what we got is what we got. But I want to look a tad more healthy.

I want to look more meaty, but not bulk up all huge. I mean i'm not really that bad, but

I want to know how to add inches to a few areas. I know about arm exercises and shoulder and

leg exercises and i have some tummy exercises. I eat pretty good, a lot of protein(chicken)

vegetables, (too much soda Calories) But yet, i still stay small. I Just want to look

like a man, rather than look like a boy. Because at times, i'll look in the mirror and

see a teenager body, but i'm 28!! I have a bad habit of gaining weight in my tummy and my

backside and on my chest. How askward do you think that makes me look? anyway. Should

I start running to lose the flab? but will it make me look even skinnier around my skinny parts?

If anyone can help in any way, please let me know. I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Scott, 28

California

IhavenoFREAKINclue

There's a health drink called Ultimate Orange, its like a legal steroid, but if you don't work out while drinking it, you will gain weight, not muscle. Go to a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and they'll let you know what to take to gain fat. Also, there are those nutrition bars that make you gain weight.

running with do nothing for you, start weigh training and eat lots of proteins and some fatty foods. carbz are good too.

Go to the health store and buy whey protein. Ingest a few scoops a day in whatever form you can handle it. Everytime you eat a carb, make sure you eat a protein. No potatoes! No pasta! Then, Weight train. Weight train. Weight train. Low reps, high weight. To get rid of the squishy areas, do cardio. I would not eliminate it completely, as others have advised.

Remember the bulk you want is from muscle, not fat, so dont eat too many carbs. Muscle is protein, so eat protein. Your body is an equation. InputOutputs.

Originally posted by Dakini

Remember the bulk you want is from muscle, not fat, so dont eat too many carbs. Muscle is protein, so eat protein. Your body is an equation. InputOutputs.

I disagree on carbs. He will need lots of carbs to build muscles. Carbs provide the energy the body uses to build muscle tissue, not only that, carbs give you the energy you need to even work out in the first place.

I say carbs + proteins + fats all in about equal amounts.

HokeyReligions

Move in with me. Everyone else who ever did left larger than when they arrived. :(;)

Muscle building exercises. Weights. There are several protein powders and meal supplements that may help you --- like someone else said, check the health-food stores.

I was like you. Here's what you do.

Work out at least 3x a week. Here's my routine, you can do something similar. Now, don't expect results right away and if you skip work outs and aren't disciplined in working out, you will NEVER see any tangible results.

DAY 1: (1:45 min)

30 Min Run

15 Min stepper machine

Chest (3 exercises)

Triceps (2 excercises)

Stomach (4 exercises)

DAY 2: (1:35 min)

30 Min Run

15 Min Bike

Legs (5 excercises)

Stomach (4 exercises)

DAY 3: (1:45 min)

30 Min Run

15 Min stepper machine

Biceps (3 exercises)

Back (3 exercises)

Stomach (4 exercises)

I drink an 8oz Whey Protein shake made with water BEFORE a workout then I drink a 16oz Whey Protein shake made with no fat milk AFTER I eat dinner every day. I avoid pastas and bread and try and drink as much water as possible. Eat more protein like Fish, Chicken, Turkey, etc. You can eat PLAIN white rice. LOTS of veggies. Just eat healthy.

In a year I've gained about 15lbs of muscle while losing about 10lbs of fat. I was weak benching only 10 reps of 125 lbs I am now up to 1o reps of 195lb getting stronger every week. The thing is, I have NOT missed a workout since I started February 1st of this year. I push myself hard and can see the results.

And yeah, that six pack IS coming in nicely :) In about six months I'll have a rack of abs that will rival the best of them, but I've worked hard for it.

Good luck.

Originally posted by ConfusedInOC

DAY 1: (1:45 min)

30 Min Run

15 Min stepper machine

Chest (3 exercises)

Triceps (2 excercises)

Stomach (4 exercises)

DAY 2: (1:35 min)

30 Min Run

15 Min Bike

Legs (5 excercises)

Stomach (4 exercises)

DAY 3: (1:45 min)

30 Min Run

15 Min stepper machine

Biceps (3 exercises)

Back (3 exercises)

Stomach (4 exercises)

NO, Confused in OC, you have it wrong. He wants to BULK UP, not firm and tone or build leg muscles or cardio or lose weight.

Skinny Puppy: you should lift weights for 45 min to 1 hour approx 3 times per week. start slow and gradually start lifting more weights.

don't do cardio bull-krap if you want to build muscles.

Originally posted by alphamale

NO, Confused in OC, you have it wrong. He wants to BULK UP, not firm and tone or build leg muscles or cardio or lose weight.

Skinny Puppy: you should lift weights for 45 min to 1 hour approx 3 times per week. start slow and gradually start lifting more weights.

don't do cardio bull-krap if you want to build muscles.

I disagree. He's skinny now, he's not going to add bulk immediately. He has to build up to it. Cardio is good for bulking the heart, something weight lifters often don't do it and it ends up causing them to get fat and lazy. Cardio is ESSENTIAL to a weight lifting routine.

He'll bulk up naturally as he eats more calories and takes whey protein. STAY AWAY FROM WEIGHT GAIN PRODUCTS. You can use them to suppliment but do not use them often in place of meals.

As I said, I've gained 15 lbs of muscle this year with this routine. I am not saying it's ideal for him, but it worked for me. He just needs to adjust it to work for him. He can reduce the cardio to 30 mins (Health wise, 30 mins of Cardio is recommended to stave off heart problems). Skinny people don't bulk up easy so he's going to have to start small and work his way up, otherwise he'll just get discouraged when he doesn't see immediate results. Took me three months to start seeing progess and it comes slower and slower over time.

Hey, 125 to 195 is not bad :)

Cardio is ESSENTIAL to a weight lifting routine.

Mr. ConfusedinOC:

weight lifting IS cardio man. women do mostly cardio exercises to burn calories and tone and firm their bodies.

for most men cardio should be a very small part of their workout. weightlifting burns calories a lot more than cardio.

If you lift, say, 150 lbs for 10 minutes you burn the same # of calories as walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes, and you're still getting the same cardio benefits.

idea behiind cardio is to get your heart beating fast over a period of time. well last time i checked when i lift weights my heart rate skyrockets and stays elevated for 2 to 3 hrs after i am done.

Different things work for different people. I had a roomy in college who was like you in size. He would drink (5) glasses of this stuff called "Weight Gainer" which he got at GNC. Each shake contained 1,500 calories for a total of 7,500 calories a day plus the meals he would eat! He gained maybe 10 pounds most of which must have been muscle since he still looked skinny. He definately had more muscle mass on him though. He lifted strictly for mass - low reps, heavy weight.

What I wouldn't give to have a metabolism like that! My body can't handle 1,500 calories a day let alone 10,000!

Originally posted by 250r

He definately had more muscle mass on him though. He lifted strictly for mass - low reps, heavy weight.

What I wouldn't give to have a metabolism like that! My body can't handle 1,500 calories a day let alone 10,000!

You are correct 250r. If you are skinny and want to bulk up you need to eat a lot more AND weigh lift to build muscle mass.

Running or swimming or treadmill or yoga or any of that krap won't do shyt!

Carbs provide the energy the body uses to build muscle tissue, not only that, carbs give you the energy you need to even work out in the first place.

They are also what runs your brain.

No offense guys, but if you'd look at the TITLE of the thread, he didn't say:"How can I look like Ahhhhnold?" He said: "I'm TOO skinny, how can I bulk up without looking HUGE? Should I not run?"

If you look at the schedule I provided and the Whey Protein and Diet, that will acomplish what he wants. The results I've had speak for themselves. It doesn't mean everyone will experience them, it just matters if he sticks to the routine and work on it. Cardio is an excellent compliment to his weight training. Lifting weights alone, in my experience, doesn't get the heart rate up enough. If it does for you, you need to start some cardio, pronto.

Patiently waiting

Just a note....

"Skinny Puppy" was a great band in the 80's !!! Anyone remember them?

If you just want to bulk up you'll need to do some seriously heavy resistance training in order to gain muscle. Gaining even 5 pounds of muscle in a month is very difficult. You need to lift heavy and hard.

Cardio is absolutely not necessary and could be counterproductive to your goal. Once you bulk up to the size you want to be then you can start mixing in some cardio. But right now you will have difficult gaining mass if you do a lot of cardio.

Lifting heavy does not mean you're going to get huge right away, so don't worry about it.

Originally posted by ConfusedInOC Lifting weights alone, in my experience, doesn't get the heart rate up enough. If it does for you, you need to start some cardio, pronto.

Cardio based workouts are great, but I do not agree with you that weight training alone does not get the heart rate up. I monitor my heart rate and blood pressure during my workouts and I know for a fact that my heart rate is well within my target range of 120-165 during my workouts (even when lifting alone). I work out 3 times a week and play multiple sports for the last 15 years so I really don't think I'm that out of shape that this is some kind of anomoly...

• Author

(yep, love skinny puppy and it worked so well for my problem)

Anyway...Thanks for all the INFO guys and gals.

I just want to add a few inches here and there and tone so I don't

have straight arms or straight legs, but where you can actually see a little size increase

with a little bit of definition.

Reason I mentioned running, is because yeah, since i haven't been working out, I have some

flab and i'm not completely in shape right now, around my gut and my butt. I got really skinny

arms and really skinny legs. Sounds worse than it is.

Anyway, i thank you for all the reponses and help. You have all been great.

Originally posted by 250r

Cardio based workouts are great, but I do not agree with you that weight training alone does not get the heart rate up. I monitor my heart rate and blood pressure during my workouts and I know for a fact that my heart rate is well within my target range of 120-165 during my workouts (even when lifting alone). I work out 3 times a week and play multiple sports for the last 15 years so I really don't think I'm that out of shape that this is some kind of anomoly...

I work out HARD with weights and never get over 100bpm.

My target heart rate for cardio on the treadmill is 160.

145 on the bike.

Originally posted by blue636

If you just want to bulk up you'll need to do some seriously heavy resistance training in order to gain muscle. Gaining even 5 pounds of muscle in a month is very difficult. You need to lift heavy and hard.

Cardio is absolutely not necessary and could be counterproductive to your goal. Once you bulk up to the size you want to be then you can start mixing in some cardio. But right now you will have difficult gaining mass if you do a lot of cardio.

Lifting heavy does not mean you're going to get huge right away, so don't worry about it.

Cardio is a necessity in that increases stamina and the capacity of the lungs and heart, essential in productive workouts and not something you get from just lifting alone.

Cardio is a necessity in that increases stamina and the capacity of the lungs and heart, essential in productive workouts and not something you get from just lifting alone.

No. You are wrong in this case. He wants to bulk up. Period. End of story. Cardio is not necessary for bulking up; for getting in GOOD SHAPE it is necessary because of its obvious health benefits.

Originally posted by blue636

No. You are wrong in this case. He wants to bulk up. Period. End of story. Cardio is not necessary for bulking up; for getting in GOOD SHAPE it is necessary because of its obvious health benefits.

Well read the thread title. He doesn't want to get huge. I've bulked up 15 pounds using a combination of cardio and weight training. I am not WRONG, I am saying what worked for me.

Well read the thread title. He doesn't want to get huge. I've bulked up 15 pounds using a combination of cardio and weight training. I am not WRONG, I am saying what worked for me.

He can still bulk up without getting huge by weights alone. CARDIO IS NOT A NECESSITY FOR GAINING WEIGHT! When are you gonna get that through your head? If he does cardio, bulking up will only take twice as long. It's not impossible, but it's counterproductive to say the least.

Bulk up first to the point where you are practically huge, THEN START CUTTING WITH CARDIO. I've been doing this for 6 years now and when it comes to working out I pretty much know what I'm talking about.