I have a huge, very painful pimple on my nostril! It is red and swollen and I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow and go out in public.

I get a big, painful pimple on either my chin or nose, sometimes 2, monthly. It's always around my period, or right after it. I wash my face in the shower with a product called Neutrogena Anti Stress Acne cream, I think it helps a little. I have dry skin in some areas, and oily skin in the T-zone. My nose has always been excessively oily, prone to acne. Add this to getting a few fine lines and wrinkles (I still look young for 44 and my lifelong oily skin is probably to thank for it). But this acne hurts! And it leaves small pink scars on my chin that last for months afterward.

I was reading about hormonal problems, and considering the possibility of taking oral contraceptives to get rid of this acne. Has anyone else have had this issue- over 40 ladies?

loveweary11

Was just about to say check your hormones.

Accutane cured my untreatable acne when I was a teenager. No acne since taking it....until.... I used some testosterone boosting stuff for workouts.

Got a little backne from that.

lemoncello
I have a huge, very painful pimple on my nostril! It is red and swollen and I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow and go out in public.

I get a big, painful pimple on either my chin or nose, sometimes 2, monthly. It's always around my period, or right after it. I wash my face in the shower with a product called Neutrogena Anti Stress Acne cream, I think it helps a little. I have dry skin in some areas, and oily skin in the T-zone. My nose has always been excessively oily, prone to acne. Add this to getting a few fine lines and wrinkles (I still look young for 44 and my lifelong oily skin is probably to thank for it). But this acne hurts! And it leaves small pink scars on my chin that last for months afterward.

I was reading about hormonal problems, and considering the possibility of taking oral contraceptives to get rid of this acne. Has anyone else have had this issue- over 40 ladies?

It sounds like you have mild cystic acne right before your periods. Do you also have rosacea? PCOS? I've considered going the retinoid cream route myself, as I have the same issues with occasional cystic acne before my period. Maybe try a retinoid cream first, before you go the oral contraceptive route which can effect your mood, sleep, weight, appetite and sex drive.

Facial scrubs help and making sure your moisturiser is non-greasy and very light. Acid peels (the very light kind that you can perform at home) also help, they resurface your skin and improve the quality vastly. I do this weekly.

Go to a dermatologist.

All of these drugstore acne washes are pretty crappy. Chemical laden, harsh ingredients, extra ingredients like "fragrance", which irritates sensitive skin, leading to more acne.

Don't go on birth control for acne alone. You're going to mess with your hormones more, I was on BC for years and it actually made my acne worse, going from regular pimples to cysts.

If you have super oily skin, and cyst acne, you can ask about accutane.

The one product I love is my Clairsonic. You need to exfoliate and get all that junk off your face.

• Like 2

I wouldnt go for the pill at your age.

i am 36 and I still have acne. which i know is caused by my hormones.

I use this 2 produtcs

Dalacin T

Dalacin T topical solution and lotion (clindamycin)

in the morning before my normal moisturizing cream.

and Differin

Once-A-Day Acne Treatment?Differin Gel, 0.3%

before to go to bed

they don't work straight away. Especially The Differin will worse your skin before it get better but this is because it will purge your skin.

you need to give the products some time. at least 2/3 weeks.

you never have to stop using them even if your skin will get better.

I am using them for 3 years now and now i only have one spot once in a while.

both of them needs to be prescribed by a doctor you cant find them over the counter.

good luck :)

• Author

Thanks- yeah, looks like I will have to shell out some money from our HSA account for a dermatologist visit.

lemoncello
Pop it like it's hot.

A man posted a video on Youtube about a cyst on his back that he named

He let it grow for 20 years then finally went in to have it lanced and drained. :sick:
amaysngrace
A man posted a video on Youtube about a cyst on his back that he named
He let it grow for 20 years then finally went in to have it lanced and drained. :sick:

Thanks for the link but I'd rather smell the inside of my dog's ear from when he had the ear mites than watch that. :sick:

lemoncello
Thanks for the link but I'd rather smell the inside of my dog's ear from when he had the ear mites than watch that. :sick:

Yes, very wise decision. I watched it and have prepared myself for cystic drainage nightmares when I fall asleep.

Adult acne over 40 is not fun. Not fun at all. Over the counter treatments can be a hit and miss... but are safer I think, than something as strong as Accutane or other prescribed acne medications.

• Like 1
acapelo_dp

I used to ALWAYS get the same ugly pimple on the same spot on my chin once (or twice) a month before my period. It was so annoying and left a small acne scar. I have never had major problems with pimples.

Ice the pimple and do not pop it. Let it heal on its own and then use Clean and Clear Acne Mark Spot Treatment. It has Salicylic Acid in it. It seriously saved me, I have been putting it on my chin twice daily and I haven't gotten a pimple back since! And my scar is slowly fading. Here's the link:

CLEAN & CLEAR® ADVANTAGE® Mark Treatment | CLEAN & CLEAR®

Also make sure you are washing your face daily and it's important to moisturize, preferably something that has vitamin E in it.

Sorry nothing useful to add... I get problems... I just pop the suckers then stick on a load of germoline. I do weekly facepacks and the old cleanse tone moisturise lark. I have very dry skin with patches as well... Never had a problem as a teenager but now...!

I love squeezing zits. One of my exes had a cyst that had to be lanced regularly... I got at it and it never came back... I used to love it. When I was a kid one of my horses had a cyst the size of my fist and ooooh that was good!

I know I am gross but there is something so satisfying about getting all of that urck out of your skin (or someone elses for that matter).

And on that note I am going to sort out the animals and get a facepack on before mount Etna erupts on my face!

LifeNomad

since this is in the fitness section are you taking any new kind of proteins? for me taking protein blends causes pimples on my back which I wouldn't get before, I wouldn't get it with whey or casein It started when I started taking protein blends

• Author

LifeNomad- yes- I recently started having Special K chocolate protein shakes (in small bottles) for breakfast to cut down on my early-day calories. Hmmm...

Today it feels better. They take a few days to heal and shrink away on their own. I will look for that Clean and Clear at my drugstore.

Turmeric can be helpful with acne.

It can be taken internally (its a commonly used spice), or can be bought as a cosmetic cream.

Disclaimer:

Talk to your doctor before using it.

Clarence_Boddicker

Is your diet clean?

Try the OCM.

Is your diet clean?

Try the OCM.

I'd be careful with Oil Cleanse Method. OCM wrecked my skin and it made my skin overproduce oil like a crazy person, even though the oils are meant to stabilize.

I had dozens and dozens of hard sebum clogs for weeks that took forever to go away when I did OCM.

Benzoyl Peroxide works well on my skin, I use the Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne cleanser with 10% BP.

I also have a prescription for Aczone.

On top of washing, you should tone. I use Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid a few times a week. It sucks up your oily pores, and closes them overnight.

Spot treatment for existing acne is crucial too. You want to look for a Zinc/Sulphur mask. I currently have one from my local esthetician. I put a thin layer on my face and sleep with it.

Also, taking Zinc supplements and vitamin A will help prevent acne. I take one Vitamin A 8,000 IU, and half of one 50 mg zinc a day.

Also, drink tons of water, and keep your sugar intake low. 25mg sugar recommended for women a day, I try to keep it way below that.

I say its the protein. Washing with charcoal soap could clear them. Certain Protein causes acne for some people.

my mom is 72 and still gets a pimple now and again. funny, how pimples can be lifelong. i have nothing more to add, just that acne is forever! :-)

I don't think 2 pimples per month is cause for any drastic measures. I used to get at least 10 on either side of my face before my period. I use a very gentle and neutral cleanser and moisturiser twice daily, it got a bit better with some gel stuff that I use every night as a preventive rather than treatment. It works really well and doesn't hurt my skin. I still get a few pimples each month but they are very small and hardly noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopeful714

Acne over 40 is most likely hormonal. Especially if it is of the cystic variety.

Look up using spironolactone for acne. It's a mild diuretic that assists in washing away the build up of androgens in hormonal acne prone areas such as chin and jawline.

It could possibly be the miracle your looking for.