Overexercising? Abdominal pain

Eighty_nine

I don't feel like I'm over exercising, but my body seems to tell me otherwise. I work out for about an hour or so a day, 6 days a week (sometimes 5). This isn't a totally abnormal workout schedule for me, but what has changed is the intensity of my workouts- they're of significantly higher intensity than my past workout routines.

Soreness was only a problem in the very beginning. I don't feel sore so much anymore, but I do feel exhausted at the end of the day, physically and mentally too (even though I'm getting enough sleep).

The biggest thing I've noticed is abdominal pain, on and off in the hours following my workout. They're not period cramps and i don't have to go to the bathroom. It's not super intense, but it's consistent. It's not like "runners stitch"; it's straight up cramps, similar to period cramps. I don't know. What is this? Does it mean I'm overdoing it?

I'm a trainer here. Two things, if you've increased your intensity and your volume then it could be a muscle strain but could also be an abdominal hernia. If you notice a small bulge in your abs that could be.

whichwayisup

Get to a Dr and do an ultrasound to make sure all is okay. You could have cyst in your ovary or a dermoid cyst as well. That could also be why you're having those pains.

Another thing, working out like that daily isn't good. Your body is telling you to take it easy. Try aiming for every other day so you give your body/muscles a rest and a chance to heal.

• Author
Eighty_nine
Get to a Dr and do an ultrasound to make sure all is okay. You could have cyst in your ovary or a dermoid cyst as well. That could also be why you're having those pains.

Another thing, working out like that daily isn't good. Your body is telling you to take it easy. Try aiming for every other day so you give your body/muscles a rest and a chance to heal.

true, it could be but the pain seems to directly correlate with intense workouts and I never had it before. But if it continues I will go to the doctor.

I do think maybe I'm doing too many intense workouts too frequently. While I still want to work out 5-6 days a week, I'll try doing easy workouts (like the elliptical machine only) every other or every few days for lower intensity.

I read online that it could also be that I'm not drinking enough water before/during/after workouts.

AppleKakes

On top of what others suggested, I ask:

1-Are you making rest periods between workouts? I mean, you did say you worked out like 5-6 days of the week, but even if that is the case, you can include rest by not working the same muscle groups....

For example: Mon, Wed, Fri I do pull-ups...Tues, Thurs I do push-ups of different varieties.

Cuz if you're not including rest periods, the muscles don't get a chance to recover. Worst, if you sprain it, you are overworking a sprain that could of cleared up on its own in 24 hrs.

2-Are you gradually increasing your workout? I am guilty of this. I just decide on more this or that, get sore and just keep on plowing through till my body adjusts. That can subject you to sprain and/or injury.

3-Diet. When we work out, we tear muscle - especially if we are increasing reps/intensity. We need to give our body the food it needs to help the muscle repair, replace fluids and nutrients...and, if your goal is to get "bigger", then to build muscle. I have a simple shake after my runs cuz those are my current intense workouts and I have a lot of lower body drama. It just is fresh banana with soy milk, nutmeg and cinnamon. Sometimes I'll add some greens to it, but sometimes I think I need to add some powdered protein...But, then again, I don't wanna get bulky, don't trust supplements, and haven't taken the time to do some real homework on what powders are ok, safe, and non-bulking.