Dealing with gastrointestinal issues

So due to constant bloating, acid reflux and constipation, I went to the doctor. I took a celiac test and though I didn't test positive for celiac, I was in the highest range. Normal was <89 and I was 89. When I eat gluten free, dairy free and more veggies, I feel much better. I have to take tums each day for the reflux since anything with acidity will provoke it. My grandmother had gastrointestinal issues all her life and she was recently diagnosed with colon cancer, but she is also almost 87 years old, so I don't think they are necessarily contributed. For those of you with similar issues, how do you cope and what types of foods help you feel your best?

Three Key ways to assist on leveling:

Drink lots of water

* I personally LOVE Greek yogurt and that dissipates the Acidic reflux

And third, I moderate certain foods that are high in acidity ( tomatoes, Certain juices, and even some of the Ruffage (greens- lettuces).

I've managed to veer from having to do any medication in light of the diet that works wonders. ITs not a diet to lose weight, its a diet that levels out the body .....

You know your body better then anyone and will know which ones agitate the stomach. Be mindful .

• Like 2
Ninjainpajamas

Yep your diet should be the number one consideration.

I personally never assume I have a medical issue until I try to resolve it el naturale.

What you're eating can be providing a combination of these symptoms, maybe soda's, carbs, or proteins, spices.

Also if you don't exercise, you might not be getting the bowels moving along enough...you might not be half-shark and able to dispose of anything you put in your body.

I realized for me, that even lactose free products can still make my stomach upset because I'm a bit lactose intolerant. Also discovered orange juice tore up my stomach and other certain citrus drinks. I thought I was just hypoallergenic but now that I cut certain things out I don't get itchy.

Drinking tea or coffee can loosen the bowels after a meal as well for me, although i don't drink coffee.

A lot of these issues I just dealt with my whole life without knowing what was going on, never really giving much thought to any one thing...there were certain things I selected as the problem food but it wasn't until I really cleaned up my diet and saw how stable my stomach really was after doing so...did I realize that the crap I was putting in it before had to go, I just don't have the kind of stomach that can deal with a lot going on in my food.

Nuts also tend to make you feel bloated and can constipate you, also of course drink water.

• Like 4

I have a very fussy digestive system, so eating properly is crucial for me. I slip up and I'm gonna feel pretty yucky for a few days.

Chicken and fish, green veggies, and brown rice, quinoa, and occasional whole wheat pasta are my standards. The only dairy I have is greek yogurt and the milk in my morning coffee.

I sometimes have a fiber one granola bar. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so that easily satisfies any sugar need I may sometimes get. Especially since I can be prone to low blood sugar. Gotta at least get a LITTLE bit in me. If my blood sugar gets too low I buy a snickers bar.

I suck with water. I don't know why. It's as if growing up as a lil desert child made me like a camel. I don't get thirsty and I don't ever have any urge to drink water. I really have to force myself to drink water.

If I could improve my water intake I'd probably be better off.

• Like 3

I try really hard to stay away from cheese. Which sucks because I LOVE CHEESE.

But not only does it screw with my digestive system, it can trigger migraines for me sometimes.

Even today I was grocery shopping and as I was picking up yogurt I saw some skim mozzarella string cheese sticks and thought "ooh hey, maybe I can just throw one in my lunchbag for a little treat this week..." then I had to stop myself. NOPE. Not on my menu!!!! Ugh.

• Like 3

Probiotics

Make sure you test them first.

Google is your friend in finding the best one and learning how to test.

They WORK

• Like 2
whichwayisup
So due to constant bloating, acid reflux and constipation, I went to the doctor. I took a celiac test and though I didn't test positive for celiac, I was in the highest range. Normal was <89 and I was 89. When I eat gluten free, dairy free and more veggies, I feel much better. I have to take tums each day for the reflux since anything with acidity will provoke it. My grandmother had gastrointestinal issues all her life and she was recently diagnosed with colon cancer, but she is also almost 87 years old, so I don't think they are necessarily contributed. For those of you with similar issues, how do you cope and what types of foods help you feel your best?

Go gluten free, dairy free as much as you can.

I have a wheat sensitivity, but it doesn't affect my stomach, I get tingles and pains in my body and legs.

Just pay attention to labels as much as you can. Organic meats, fruits and veggies.

It's good you know what was causing you so much discomfort!

• Like 2

When I first got out of the military and was depressed, I was on a steady diet of Taco Bell, wings, and Sonic's Jalapeno burgers. Oh, and I drank soda all the time...no juice.

Well, bloating, constipation, weight gain, and all that came.

One of my gfs told me to take laxatives and me following her with her crazy self messed up my digestive system. I mean, she'd call me to pig out at a buffet and chase it down with laxatives.

I stopped eating crap and started cooking again....big difference.

We "are" what we eat....

• Like 2
  • Author
When I first got out of the military and was depressed, I was on a steady diet of Taco Bell, wings, and Sonic's Jalapeno burgers. Oh, and I drank soda all the time...no juice.

Well, bloating, constipation, weight gain, and all that came.

One of my gfs told me to take laxatives and me following her with her crazy self messed up my digestive system. I mean, she'd call me to pig out at a buffet and chase it down with laxatives.

I stopped eating crap and started cooking again....big difference.

We "are" what we eat....

I definitely agree, but I hardly eat fast food at all. I notice I get gassy and constipated whenever I have too much wheat or eat ice cream or have something with milk. The acid reflux definitely gets caused by spicy, strawberries, tomatoes etc. I usually eat very healthy, so that's why for the longest time I had no idea why I was feeling this way.

But I definitely agree it is a wheat sensitivity. My grandmother is also lactose intolerant, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am too. It's hard to tell, because I hardly eat dairy, but when I did recently I got stomach pains.

I definitely agree, but I hardly eat fast food at all. I notice I get gassy and constipated whenever I have too much wheat or eat ice cream or have something with milk. The acid reflux definitely gets caused by spicy, strawberries, tomatoes etc. I usually eat very healthy, so that's why for the longest time I had no idea why I was feeling this way.

But I definitely agree it is a wheat sensitivity. My grandmother is also lactose intolerant, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am too. It's hard to tell, because I hardly eat dairy, but when I did recently I got stomach pains.

Well, I read in the 'Skinny Byaches' book a while back and they did mention that our need for cow milk is pretty much in our formative years (early childhood) and I guess that's why so many adults have a bad reaction to dairy - cuz we really don't need it as adults.

I mean, if our body gives us a reaction to eating something - its for a reason. Like alcohol...it makes us feel like crap - especially when we over do it - cuz while it does have some good qualities, at the end of the day it does harm to our bodies.

So, I've drank soy milk for several years now...I still have ice cream and yogurt, but not that much.

When it comes to spices - I think spices are good for us, but I guess it goes bad for a lot of people cuz their systems aren't used to digesting it. Not sure if digesting spices on the regular will help improve digestive issues.

Now when it comes to veggies causing you acid reflux? Not sure why...

• Like 1
  • Author
Well, I read in the 'Skinny Byaches' book a while back and they did mention that our need for cow milk is pretty much in our formative years (early childhood) and I guess that's why so many adults have a bad reaction to dairy - cuz we really don't need it as adults.

I mean, if our body gives us a reaction to eating something - its for a reason. Like alcohol...it makes us feel like crap - especially when we over do it - cuz while it does have some good qualities, at the end of the day it does harm to our bodies.

So, I've drank soy milk for several years now...I still have ice cream and yogurt, but not that much.

When it comes to spices - I think spices are good for us, but I guess it goes bad for a lot of people cuz their systems aren't used to digesting it. Not sure if digesting spices on the regular will help improve digestive issues.

Now when it comes to veggies causing you acid reflux? Not sure why...

This definitely makes sense. I know my MIL was lactose intolerant and it's been hard for my hubby to drink milkshakes so we both drunk soy most of the time. There is a lot of acidity in tomatoes in particular...though they are technically a fruit not a veggie. I have a coworker who breaks out if she has them.

introverted1

Have you looked into the FODMAP diet? Not a diet for weight loss but specifically for those dealing with digestive issues.

Also, if you want to eat wheat, make sure it is organic. The non-organic variety has nearly certainly been sprayed with glyphosate, which is known to create many gastro issues (as well as be a carcinogen).

• Like 2

I have really bad stomach issues, so I'm going to be limiting dairy, and trying gluten-free again. I'm too tired to add more right now, and I'm in a rush, but when I took L-glutamine regularly, it helped.

I was annoyed when I found out how many things contain gluten. I buy liquid tylenol, extra-strength, which is gluten-free, but the alternative that is most often on sale, isn't.

• Like 1
regine_phalange

It's a good idea to keep a food diary and listen to your body. This is very individual stuff.

When I stopped eating white flour all the bloating stopped and never came back. I may eat a small slice of white bread now and then without side effects, but if I overdo it I get the bloating back (temporarily). On the other hand, I don't have a problem with whole wheat. But I don't eat too much of that either.

I also can't handle cabbage and chunky fibres. At all.

I'm also fine with milk once a day, preferably with food. Yoghurt is also always good for us, ladies. Preferably the traditional fatty one, but greek yoghurt will also do (I prefer the latter personally because it has a lighter taste).

Commercial soy and almond milks are a killer for me. I almost never have acid reflux, but these things I can't digest because of the additives. Home made almond milk is fine though, better than cow milk even.

• Like 2

It's very common for women to have GI issues, sometimes nondiagnosable ones, but it is not known why this afflicts women so often. I also think it may be triggered by stress and negative emotion so try to moderate those, if you can, as well as controlling your diet. I had issues for years, and although I don't have celiacs, I had gall stones, which took years for me to find out with the help of an ultrasound. I had surgery last year (wasn't a big deal) and am perfectly fine now.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's a good idea to keep a food diary and listen to your body. This is very individual stuff.

When I stopped eating white flour all the bloating stopped and never came back. I may eat a small slice of white bread now and then without side effects, but if I overdo it I get the bloating back (temporarily). On the other hand, I don't have a problem with whole wheat. But I don't eat too much of that either.

I also can't handle cabbage and chunky fibres. At all.

I'm also fine with milk once a day, preferably with food. Yoghurt is also always good for us, ladies. Preferably the traditional fatty one, but greek yoghurt will also do (I prefer the latter personally because it has a lighter taste).

Commercial soy and almond milks are a killer for me. I almost never have acid reflux, but these things I can't digest because of the additives. Home made almond milk is fine though, better than cow milk even.

This definitely sounds like me to a T. :laugh: I'm okay with small amounts of gluten, but if I have too much, I really regret it later. I will definitely look into all these suggestions.

• Like 1
Justanaverageguy

So I have just spent the last 6 months coming to terms with a curing some serious GI issues. Mine in truth had been an issue for a lot longer but really came to a head due to high stress from Job and relationship issues. I'm pleased to say I now have my issues completely under control so I'll try and offer some advice here. The key for me was not treating the symptoms I was getting .... but treating the real underlying cause of my GI issue. So what exactly do I mean by that ? Well some people would say when you suddenly started having issues eating wheat, dairy etc ... change your diet and just stop eating them. But the real question is why did you suddenly start having issues eating these to begin with when you never did previously ? Also many people with these issues they slowly get worse and worse ? But why .... What changed to make your body start suddenly reacting to these foods ?

I have done a boat load of research and everything I read around these GI issues always came back to one thing. Leaky gut syndrome. Its essentially a thinning of the intestinal walls which allows food particles to cross into your blood stream that shouldn't normally be able to. It triggers an immune response in the body which starts attacking the foods getting into your blood stream and thus causes many food allergies. This has now been leaked to all manner of chronic diseases including cealiacs disease and many many more.

It is caused primarily by 2 things:

- Poor diet eating too many refined sugars and carbs, alcohol, caffein and other damaging foods common in most western diets.

- Stress or illness. The intestine and digestive system is one of the most critical systems in the body. It makes up 70% of your immune system and the cell wall of your intestine is completely replaced each night when you sleep. It requires a huge amount of blood flow and work for the body to maintain a healthy digestive system. Stress is one of the biggest impactors on this but illness and medications such as antibiotics can also play a huge role.

I would recommend talking to your doctor before doing anything but I managed to completely cure all the GI issues I had along with the food allergies I had started experiencing by doing the following.

1) Temporarily removing Carbs, Dairy and high sugar foods along with alcohol and caffein from my diet. I went Paleo. Heaps and heaps of Vegetables and green leafy salads with healthy lean protein. You don't need to do this forever (carbs are actually good for you despite what paleo nuts tell you) but you do need to cut these out while your body heals. These foods are the ones that typically cause the most damage when your digestive system is not functioning properly and trigger food allergies.

2) L-Glutamine. Start taking this now. Seriously it is the most critical thing I did to fix my issues. It heals your intestines and helps restore a fully functioning digestive system. It is basically the fuel your body uses to rebuild the intestine wall. I took high doses 30-40g per day of Glutamine powder mixed with water in multiple sittings and saw amazing results within a week. You don't want to say at these high doses forever but you do in the initial repair stage. I think its one of the first things they recommend for celiacs disease normally.

3) Probiotics - Need to get your gut flora back in order as its likely with the break down of your digestive processes bad bacteria and fungi have taken up residence. Start taking these regularly.

4) Digestive Enzymes to assist your digestive system with the break down of carbs, protein and fats. I took these with every meal I ate to ensure food was properly being broken down in my stomach and digestive system.

All I can say is I was basically unable to eat wheat or dairy without huge gastro issues. I was also experiencing issues with fatigue, problems with mental clarity and anxiety. Now I can eat them no issue and I feel 200% better then I did 3-4 months back.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an IBS, I go to toilet normally but I feel really bloated afterwards, very unplesent.

I train constantly at the gym and eat really healthy, I might feel great for whole week until one of the days the ibs strikes and I feel bad for few days,

The key is not to break down and get over it

acapelo_dp

I used to have bloating issues and gastrointestinal problems. Ever since just 4 days ago I started a meal and work out plan I have felt so much better. Important things:

-Drink plenty of water

-Make sure you are getting at LEAST 25g of fiber a day from your diet. If you aren't you can get fiber tablets or the powder.

-Gluten free and dairy free helps A LOT as many people have issues with it.

If you want to track nutrients you can use myfitnesspal and even scan barcodes for more accurate nutrients

• 2 weeks later...
empresario

I'm late to the party, but I have a buddy with Crohns and he runs his natural remedies by my daily.

I asked him the same question not long ago for a friend. He told me stomach acid. Usually with reflux it is too much acid. Because of this, air fills your tummy after meals and that's why you get the 'food babies'. Some foods for you may be easier to digest than others.

I got this test from a site back when my friend contacted me. Perhaps it will help you, too:

1. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 4-6 ounces of cold water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.
  2. Drink the baking soda solution.
  3. Time how long it takes you to belch. Time up to five minutes.
  4. If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing.

In theory, if your stomach is producing adequate amounts of stomach acid you’ll likely belch within two to three minutes. Early and repeated belching may be due to excessive stomach acid (but don’t confuse these burps with small little burps from swallowing air when drinking the solution). Any belching after 3 minutes indicates a low acid level.

Because the time frames can vary person-to-person, as well as how they drink the solution, this test is only a good indicator that you might want to do more testing to determine your stomach acid.

• 2 weeks later...
Probiotics

Make sure you test them first.

Google is your friend in finding the best one and learning how to test.

They WORK

I have started culturing kefir. It seems to help a lot and is easy to make at room temperate. You just buy the original cultures at a reputable place.