Overweight, rebuild muscles - how long?

HumptyDumpty

Hey guys!

I've been wondering about this question and would love to hear experiences - how long does it take to rebuild some muscles?

I haven't been active for years now and gained a lot of weight during that time (around 66 lbs/30 kg)! I recently started doing some work-out videos at home to start softly again and would like to build up my muscles again under those layers of fat! My weight is about 207 lbs/94 kg at the moment.

I'm doing beginner strength training for 20-25 minutes (full body work-out) and about 15min cardio (beginners also) every day! I have energy to get through but I get tired very quickly with jumping jacks/jumping in general, where the muscles in my legs burn! After each session I do, I drink a protein shake (I have over 2kg of the powder I need to get rid of anyways haha)!

Any experience or tips in this regard maybe? :) I'd love to get some muscles back with home work-outs in order to do more sport outside, otherwise I'll be totally unmotivated if I can't even run for more than 3min outside, and so far I'm motivated to do it every day at home which is very unusual, I need to stick with it! :bunny:

hopeyougood

Hey guys!

I've been wondering about this question and would love to hear experiences - how long does it take to rebuild some muscles?

I haven't been active for years now and gained a lot of weight during that time (around 66 lbs/30 kg)! I recently started doing some work-out videos at home to start softly again and would like to build up my muscles again under those layers of fat! My weight is about 207 lbs/94 kg at the moment.

I'm doing beginner strength training for 20-25 minutes (full body work-out) and about 15min cardio (beginners also) every day! I have energy to get through but I get tired very quickly with jumping jacks/jumping in general, where the muscles in my legs burn! After each session I do, I drink a protein shake (I have over 2kg of the powder I need to get rid of anyways haha)!

Any experience or tips in this regard maybe? I'd love to get some muscles back with home work-outs in order to do more sport outside, otherwise I'll be totally unmotivated if I can't even run for more than 3min outside, and so far I'm motivated to do it every day at home which is very unusual, I need to stick with it!

Two months ago I was in the worst shape of my life. I had not worked out in 3 years, at which point I had a lot of muscle. I had the good fortune of guidance by a world class bodybuilder whom mentored me. Long story short, after two months I had 75% of my strength back. Where I would once use 225lbs on the bench press for reps on my light day, when I went back I couldn't even work out with the weight I once used to warm up. All that being said, muscle memory is very real. Getting back where you once were in terms of muscle strength can happen rapidly. The most important thing I learned from the pro BB was nutrition is 80% of it. Muscle can not grow without the proper nutrition. I have never been in a position to cut significant fat and that is a different process than adding muscle. My advice to you would be to get yourself working toward a lean muscle building diet. High in quality proteins, roughly one gram per pound of body weight. Low in bad fats, and eating quality complex carbs. IE oatmeal, whole grains ect. Also any physical activity is better than none so great job on getting started. The term MUSCLE FAILURE is a key in strength training. As a beginner, you will benefit the most from what you are doing. Full body workouts that should be comprised of complex joint movements. The big exercises. Bench press, Shoulder (military ) press, Squats, Pull ups. Working with a weight that you can do 8-12 reps with and not possibly one more. If you can do lets say 15 rep at a given weight, increase the weight slightly. Your body is going to need that protein and amino acids to repair muscle. Having a quality protein shake after work out is great. Don't be shy about adding one first thing in the morning and right before bed if you are lifting weights.

based on what you are saying about wanting to do more sports outside and run for more than 3 min without feeling tired you should probably do more cardo / hiit training than just 15 min a day. ALso you will lose some of those extra pounds & fat faster.

Also, if your going to be mixing up weight and cardio, its better to start cardio first then weight training after your warmed up.

maybe 3 days of weights and 4 days of cardio a week would be go heck I would even start with a few weeks or a month of just cardio before mixing in weights if I really wanted to lose the pounds faster and gain endurance quicker. set a day for running only, one for jump rope, different videos on youtube etc

lookup "couch to 5k" awesome running plan, theres an app called rundouble that follows it if you waanna try it.

Edited by LifeNomad

Don't exercise every day OP. You need rest days.

Sort out your diet: reduce carbs significantly on rest days, have some after training each time (chicken and rice are a good combo), increase protein and greens significantly.

More weight training, less cardio, especially until you lost some weight. Don't exercise more than 3-4 times a week.

You should see a difference in 3 months.

From my experience - 1 year to notice. Two to really notice. Clothes fit was the big measuring stick.

I started with combo weights and cardio in same session, and close to a year later then I switched to alternating days of weight lifting day and cardio day.

I'm in the same boat, OP! I was an avid Crossfitter for two years and gradually lost my way about 7 months ago. Since then, my exercise and eating habits have plummeted and I've gained some weight. (It's not 66 pounds, but enough to notice). My clothes don't fit anymore and no longer have the muscle definition I once did. :(

I finally decided to do something about this and have started going to a boot camp 3x a week and am clean eating again. I also shoot for at least 10,000 steps a day on my Fitbit. I hope it doesn't take as long to get my strength and muscles back either! Will keep you updated on my progress.

Good luck!

From my experience - 1 year to notice. Two to really notice. Clothes fit was the big measuring stick.

I started with combo weights and cardio in same session, and close to a year later then I switched to alternating days of weight lifting day and cardio day.

Out of interest, did you adjust your diet as well?

• Like 1
SilentiousBird

An all over body work out is more likely to burn fat, not build muscle. Your muscles need time to repair themselves to get stronger. Also your chances of injuring yourself are much higher by doing full body workouts on a daily basis.

I seriously recommend getting a gym membership and using heavy weights. Don't worry if you're new to it--so are a lot of other people. Everyone starts somewhere. Take advantage of any free personal training you can get. Invest in a personal trainer if you can afford it.

If you're against going to the gym, at least break up your workouts by concentrating on different muscle groups each day during the week. And drink lots of water!