Is anybody else completely dependent on exercise?

If I go for more than 2 days without running, I fall apart emotionally, mentally and physically. My head becomes cluttered with mud and I become irritable. I stop digesting properly and become terribly bloated. My head refuses to think clearly. Then I run and I am coherent and calm and relaxed and comfortable. I get really smart -- learning gets easier.

I used to think, when I got busy, that I didn't have time to work out. Now the busier I am, the more urgently I know I need to get on the tread mill.

I also find that I feel much better running a shorter distance fast than a longer distance slow.

Is anybody else like this, or am I the only one?

I also don't know what will become of me the day I can't run.

• Like 2
lana-banana

I think there are many, many people out there like you. My drug of choice is weight-lifting. But that last line suggests something akin to addiction---which is also unfortunately something else many, many people can relate to.

Two years ago I needed surgery for a medical emergency that required small but deep incisions all the way through my hip flexors. I couldn't get up off the couch for two days, but ten days post-surgery I ran three miles and did 200 push-ups as part of a group fitness contest. I felt like I could do it and, like you, I felt so horribly lazy, bloated, sick and fat that I couldn't stand to rest anymore. The result? What should have been a one-month healing process took almost three.

Exercise can be a coping mechanism, but it can't be your only coping mechanism. Rest days are critical. I eased myself back to five heavy days per week, plus one day of "active rest" (5+ miles walking) and one day of absolute rest. There are other ways to deal with stress and frustration: meditation, reading, even craft projects. I know there's nothing like the adrenaline and endorphins that come after a tough workout, but we're ultimately just finite meat sacks. When our lives revolve around exercise we aren't healthy anymore.

• Like 2
Grilled_Salmon

Reading OP, I thought I was reading myself XD. I thought I was the only one, since I also go on the treadmill very often - 6 times a week.

Anything beyond 2 days just drives me nuts. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, though it's something I thoroughly enjoy. Of course, running 30 minutes every day on a speed of 12.4kmph to 13.2kmph took its toll, and occasionally I'd have a sore leg.

So then I changed it up a bit; do only that run 2-3 times a week, while the rest are jogging at 10.5kmph for 45 minutes, with a 5-10 minute walk in the end. If I feel like it, a fast 2.4km run within 10 minutes (something that's required for military fitness as I'm headed off to basic in a few months).

This is also not counting the fact I walk to the gym from home, and vice versa. Total of that is an hour. In a sense, it's all from enjoyment and necessity.

Do you drive everywhere OP? Many people seem to on this forum. Maybe it's the lack of getting out and stretching your legs?

I don't get anxious without exercise but perhaps I would if I had a car and didn't walk/took public transport everywhere. I need to get out every day, regardless whether I have anything specific to do. I know some people that stay inside all day and don't even change from the pyjamas, could not imagine being stuck inside like that even on Sundays.

If I go 3 days without working out (except on vacation), I start freaking out that I am going to fall back into laziness or lose all my progress... so I understand.

Specially since I drive to work and I have a sedentary job, so 80% of my movement and exercise comes from what I do after work.

Specially during winter, I get antsy. So glad it is spring now, and I can go outside and walk... as another poster said, as an "active rest" day. I workout 5-6 days a week.

Even just recently, I had a forced 2 day rest over the weekend, but yesterday was easily my best workout in over 2 months. So in a way, I kind of needed it.

I used to be like that but grew out of it by knowing that my body could suffer if I don't rest it. As of now though, I hit a wall. I live with two other people, and I bring the source of food we have in the house. At first I was getting all the healthy food and only food the body needs. This didn't help the household.

Now I shopped for quantity instead of quality. My fitness will take a blow, but, my workouts don't have to stop.

• Author
If I go 3 days without working out (except on vacation), I start freaking out that I am going to fall back into laziness or lose all my progress... so I understand.
This is not really my issue. It's not that I'm worried about progress so much as I actually feel unwell. I am physically, mentally, and emotionally unwell without the exercise.
  • Author
Do you drive everywhere OP? Many people seem to on this forum. Maybe it's the lack of getting out and stretching your legs?

I don't get anxious without exercise but perhaps I would if I had a car and didn't walk/took public transport everywhere. I need to get out every day, regardless whether I have anything specific to do. I know some people that stay inside all day and don't even change from the pyjamas, could not imagine being stuck inside like that even on Sundays.

Mostly I am in a chair on the computer at work. I walk around here or there from building to building. However, walking is not enough. I need intense exercise. Even jogging five miles at a leisurely pace only helps a little. What I need is high-intensity, or at least moderate intensity. It's the blood flow or something. I need to make my circulation go, I need to clear my head. I need the endorphins or dopamine or whatever it is.

• Like 1
Mostly I am in a chair on the computer at work. I walk around here or there from building to building. However, walking is not enough. I need intense exercise. Even jogging five miles at a leisurely pace only helps a little. What I need is high-intensity, or at least moderate intensity. It's the blood flow or something. I need to make my circulation go, I need to clear my head. I need the endorphins or dopamine or whatever it is.

Endorphins. Yes that could be a problem long term because when you are hooked, the intensity needs to be upped higher and higher as you get accustomed to the kick. Need to read up on this.

purplesoccer34

Yes, I am like this. Or was. And then I ended up with an injury in both of my knees, and when my PT told me not to run for 2 weeks, I thought my life would fall apart. I've gone a week without running, and surprisingly enough, I'm perfectly fine. I know I could go another week without running.

Give it a break for more than 2 days, and see how it goes. Do other things you enjoy to keep your mind occupied. Running is certainly not a bad thing, but please don't overdo it.

Edited by purplesoccer34
  • Author
Yes, I am like this. Or was. And then I ended up with an injury in both of my knees, and when my PT told me not to run for 2 weeks, I thought my life would fall apart. I've gone a week without running, and surprisingly enough, I'm perfectly fine. I know I could go another week without running.

Give it a break for more than 2 days, and see how it goes. Do other things you enjoy to keep your mind occupied. Running is certainly not a bad thing, but please don't overdo it.

I give it a break for up to 2 days all the time. I procrastinate. By day 2 I am in such bad state that it's a small emergency. A 30-minute run takes me from despondent and bloated to calm, energetic, and relaxed.

Nelsonfloyd5
If I go for more than 2 days without running, I fall apart emotionally, mentally and physically. My head becomes cluttered with mud and I become irritable. I stop digesting properly and become terribly bloated. My head refuses to think clearly. Then I run and I am coherent and calm and relaxed and comfortable. I get really smart -- learning gets easier.

I used to think, when I got busy, that I didn't have time to work out. Now the busier I am, the more urgently I know I need to get on the tread mill.

I also find that I feel much better running a shorter distance fast than a longer distance slow.

Is anybody else like this, or am I the only one?

I also don't know what will become of me the day I can't run.

I rely heavily on playing soccer from monday to friday and do other outdoor activities in the weekend. If I didnt have these things I would mentally break down, the thought of her is stitched to my head.

Do you feel if you dont run you break down bec of a woman or something else thats going on in your life?

• Author
I rely heavily on playing soccer from monday to friday and do other outdoor activities in the weekend. If I didnt have these things I would mentally break down, the thought of her is stitched to my head.

Do you feel if you dont run you break down bec of a woman or something else thats going on in your life?

I often feel lonely and sad about it, so perhaps. But I also think I might have undiagnosed health issues and the exercise is self-medication.