Ok, I thought I would ask this. I made comment while back one day with my GF and her friend about the differences at this gym. I said their are alot more women hangn in the free weights area with the men not shying away from the weights etc here (which is great). Also the stretching area etc. I commented on their are a lot more fit and serious women here. The girls reply was "they here for guys". Why do you think they wear tiny shorts the stick their butts out so all can see. I thought well you two have done the same at times (though I know it is not what my GF is there for). Some are there in make-up. Ok women do you think like my girls that these women are not just wearing tiny short cause its the style and very comfortable gym attire and they are serious about their workouts? Or they are their to flaunt and attract, and boost their egos as much as they are there to workout?

thefooloftheyear

I dunno...

I go to the gym to train and tune out all that bullshyt...I pay no mind to any of it...

That being said. I know a few serious women at my gym...I can tell you unequivocally that the last thing they are trying to do is stroke their own ego's or try to score with men...

TFY

• Like 1

I'm not sure how wearing shorts with your butt hanging out is comfortable gym attire. I have never worn those style shorts to the gym. I reserve those for sleeping in or the beach over my bathing suit. I wear comfortable clothing while exercising. I'm miserable enough working out, I don't want to be uncomfortable.

I do notice a lot of those types of girls at my gym though, in full make-up and hair hanging in the free-weights. To each their own I guess. I go over in the free-weights to... lift weights. I'm personally a bit self-conscience because I'm petite and am trying to build strength and there's men there lifting about 3957lbs more than I, but oh well.

deathandtaxes

I think they can both be serious and want.to look cute if they so choose. nothing wrong with that. who doesn't like attention?

If they are comfortable enough to sleep in, I would think they are comfortable enough to work out in...no?

Women must work out in nothing but a sports bra and tight booty short for the same reason some men workout without a shirt on. If you are able to get over the mental 'uncomfortableness' of working out half naked, it's probably the most comfortable way to do it. Everything is held in place and there is no extra fabric floating around to get caught in.

It kind of annoy me how people immediately assume that these women are there simply to get men's attentions...Maybe they are taking a break. Maybe they are between sets. Maybe they just ran into a friend they haven't seen in a while.

Actually, I would assume those who walk around with less clothing work the hardest. You need to work your butt off to make sure there is nothing hanging out of those outfits! lol

If they are comfortable enough to sleep in, I would think they are comfortable enough to work out in...no?

As far as comfort, I just don't like feeling like I have to pick a wedgie every time I move my feet on the elliptical. When I sleep, I'm lying still so I don't care. As far as the hair and makeup goes, that's a comfort thing as well. Make-up gets itchy and runny on my face when I sweat, and I generally like my hair up and off my face for the same reason. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think it is a little bit of both. They want to look good for others, but also for themselves. It's motivating for them.

This is my take on it too. The women who work out in the free weight area of my gym, and fairly serious and are not there just to get noticed or chat on the phone or to others or to get picked up. At the same time, though if they have made progress on their body and feel good about it, they love to show it off... reward themselves with their effort when they look in the mirror and for others (they want to get admired and glanced at but not pestered by guys)

I rarely notice what other women are doing at the gym unless they are particularly flamboyant looking.

From what I can tell, most are there to work out, and then get on with their day.

I think like some male meatheads, with some females its all about the narcissism and culture of their fitness life. I mean the models in fitness mags, and their female fitness herd all dress in the it-bitty sports shorts, or the labia form revealing yoga pants....:D

44caliberloveletter

I don't see how short shorts would be comfortable to work out in, and maybe they are there to show off. I don't pay any mind to the people around me when I'm working out, and I dress in form fitting attire because it's comfortable to me. I'm comfortable with myself. :)

I have seen these types of girls in the past that wear barely there clothing and I feel bad for them that they feel the need to parade in public practically naked because they crave attention.

I think women worry hugely about being judged for their body anyway, let alone in the gym. They try to wear what's most flattering, what shows off their body the most. I think some wear make-up because they go there after work (same for me sometimes) or because they are self-conscious about how they look more natural.

Personally, I just strap my boobs down with two pairs of sports bras (learnt that while boxing) and wear a baggy pair of trackies because I don't want some yoga pants up my crack when I lift. So for me it's about comfort but then I genuinely don't give a ****.

• 1 month later...

I've been to gyms during certain times of the day that I've nicknamed "the meat market." It's usually a nice 5 hour chunk of the day when girls described above go in to work out. Sure, they're stretching. Sure, they're lifting weights. But I think they're mostly wanting to mingle and hope guys will approach them and chat them up. Which is why they're at the gym so stinking long.

It's the same thing as the bulky guy in the free weights (we all know that guy), who takes his shirt off, wears the tight shorts (huh, just like the girls), and yah, he may be lifting, he may be facing the mirror as he's doing his 100th bicep curl but he's also glancing around at the cute girls in their booty shorts and makeup hoping that they're glancing at him.

I personally wear clothes that don't draw attention to myself as I DON'T want attention from men. I don't wear makeup because I know I'm going to be sweating like a pig and I don't want to break out. I KNOW that by the end of my workout, I'll be a red, sweaty mess. I want to get the "@&$ out of the gym and go home.

Lol, im that girl who sticks out her booty. And I spend a lot of time on the good girl bad girl machine. Thats just the nature of my workout, and I dont do it to be sexy or reveiling. Its actually quite embarrassing. :o Id love to go to tye gym and wear shorts. :o

I was thinking about this thread the other day. I changed my days around and saw this guy I don't usually see. He is pretty big and muscular, chose the stretch area to lift some weights because it's where most of the women are. He should have been in the free weights room downstairs with the guys but chose to take the only bench in a tiny area completely blocking everything to get attention. I was so close to having a word :laugh: Pretty sure he thought I was looking at him for different reasons while I just wanted him to go :laugh:

SycamoreCircle

There's a lot of advertising in women's magazines that promote gym lifestyles. Spandex, tube tops, bright sneakers, yoga mats, trussed hair, romantic dew on brow. That wasn't around as much ten years ago. One ad even said something like "Strong is the new thin" or "Strong is the new sexy." I can't remember which. The woman in the ad had definition in her arms.

There's also tremendous emphasis on women's asses now. Women realize that a great ass can be achieved through lifting. I see women in the gym all the time doing work that targets their glutes. It is tremendously en vogue to have a prominent round perky booty.

• Like 1
rocketman122

I hate when women come to the free weights section. im a man. its only natural I look. but it kills my focus, I dont want to be enticed to look. dont like it. so I do see some women show up in that area, I turn away and after my set I go somewhere to clear my thoughts.

the majority enjoy it and look and you see them add 20% to their weights. not me. I need my focus and I just dont look.

I think though that are women that are the type that want attention on them. that arent really in their for training. they do a 3 month membership and try to get mens attention. others are really there to train (although they train horribly) and actually dont want any man hitting on them.

I put my music on, get in rage mode just before the set, then go rest somewhere else to recoup for the next set. its not a social event for me. I also only talk to harecore trainers. the rest are there temporarily.

acapelo_dp

There are some girls at my gym who are doing bikini contest prep that wear just a sports bra and shorts. But they also practice their poses after.

I have zero issue with women wearing shorts and rocking it IF they are actually putting in work. It's the women who wear a full face of make-up, wear skimpy work out clothes and just stand around or do light cardio that bother me.

Nothing wrong with wanting to look cute, but put in the work ;)

lollipopspot
The girls reply was "they here for guys". Why do you think they wear tiny shorts the stick their butts out so all can see. I thought well you two have done the same at times (though I know it is not what my GF is there for).

I would never assume that anyone is at a gym to do anything but work out. Some people have bodies that are ostentatious (large chest, large muscles, large rear, etc.) whether they want it to be or not.

The fact that your GF is assuming that other females are there to pick up guys though makes me think that that's on her mind though...

I would never assume that anyone is at a gym to do anything but work out. Some people have bodies that are ostentatious (large chest, large muscles, large rear, etc.) whether they want it to be or not.

The fact that your GF is assuming that other females are there to pick up guys though makes me think that that's on her mind though...

I think this is a fairly naive view.

lollipopspot
I think this is a fairly naive view.

What, to not ASSUME that people are walking around with sex on their mind, but are serious about working out?

Edited by lollipopspot
Ok, I thought I would ask this. I made comment while back one day with my GF and her friend about the differences at this gym. I said their are alot more women hangn in the free weights area with the men not shying away from the weights etc here (which is great). Also the stretching area etc. I commented on their are a lot more fit and serious women here. The girls reply was "they here for guys". Why do you think they wear tiny shorts the stick their butts out so all can see. I thought well you two have done the same at times (though I know it is not what my GF is there for). Some are there in make-up. Ok women do you think like my girls that these women are not just wearing tiny short cause its the style and very comfortable gym attire and they are serious about their workouts? Or they are their to flaunt and attract, and boost their egos as much as they are there to workout?

The girl who made that comment sounds catty.

Fitness wear is becoming more popular. It's easier than ever before to look stylish while workout out. I think some women just like to look nice, even if they are only putting in a workout at the gym.

Personally, if I'm at a co-ed gym then I'll wear my regular workout clothes to avoid attention. I tend to use the free weights, where there are mostly men, and I don't want them staring at me. If I'm going to yoga class, where there are mostly women, then I'll wear my cute yoga clothes because it makes me feel good to look cute. When biking, I usually wear nice workout clothes because I worked damn hard to make my butt look this good so I'm going to show it off. :D

Edited by SpiralOut
thefooloftheyear

"Serious" types of gyms really dont cultivate that behavior...I have memberships in two gyms...The one near work is a serious place and there isnt any meat market garbage there...Its more $$ so that tends to weed out a lot of the kids and clowns..The other is a "planet fitness" type of place...I rarely go, but when I do its a bunch of younger people with prissy girls just playing around mindlessly with their asses hanging out and a bunch of moron guys that train only arms and chest and think they are Pauly D...

TFY