Protein/protein powder question(s)!! How beneficial is it?

First some basic info about me. I'm 18, a college freshman, and I'm trying to lose weight. At my highest I was 200+ and now I'm around 180. Looking to be around 140 (btw I'm 5 '5). Right now I'm focusing more on cutting down body fat more than building muscle, but I wouldn't mind being more toned all around. So I guess what I'm asking is if protein shakes would do me any good? Like I'm totally clueless on this subject. I know protein helps build muscle, but beyond that I'm not sure. Especially since I'm trying to lose weight I wouldn't want that to affect it in any way. If anyone has any insight on the subject or good websites/articles that would help, that would be awesome! thanks :)

Are you male or female? Given your weight goal, I am going to assume female but correct me if I am wrong. I just ask in regards to caloric intake, as males can have a bit more than females.

As far as protein powders go, they are just as the name says, a source of protein. They are useful in helping you meet a daily level of protein, depending on what your goals are. For losing weight, your goal would be to try to retain as much lean muscle as possible, which is typically best accomplished by doing weight training and meeting your protein and calorie needs.

As far as how much protein you should have, there is a lot of variation of what people consider to be optimal. A nice standard medium is 1g of protein per pound of LBM, so if you had 100 pounds of lean muscles (you would need to figure this out by knowing your body fat percentage, thus breaking down your weight into fat and muscle), you would try to aim at about 100 grams per day.

It can range to just 0.5 g to 2 g per LBM, so don't feel like you always have to hit my mark. Ideally for me, I like to aim towards 180g per day, but that isn't always possible and I am happy with meeting at least a par minimum of 100 g per day. It is more important, for myself, to stay within a certain caloric intake range, and somethings there will be meals/dinners that are planned or unavoidable that I have to make adjustments for my caloric intake.

With all that being said, protein powders can be a good supplement source and can act as a meal replacement also. If you do plan to use it as such, buy a really good source of protein, that is not heavy on carbs and fat. Really good blends are isolate protein powders, these are much more pure protein, with less carbs and fat, and they have the affect of making you feel full longer. I typically use Optimum Nutrition brand, very good imo, depending on the flavor you pick, you can typically get a serving to have just 1g of fat, 3g of carbs, and 24g of protein. I haven't seen any better than this for a protein powder profile but honestly I don't bother looking since the flavor of it is good to me when mixed in water.

I can't remember the exact policies of linking to other forums, but if you do a google search for sites which like to focus on building the body, you should come across some that go into so much greater detail on the topic. Good luck on your weight lost!

• Like 2
runredlights
First some basic info about me. I'm 18, a college freshman, and I'm trying to lose weight. At my highest I was 200+ and now I'm around 180. Looking to be around 140 (btw I'm 5 '5). Right now I'm focusing more on cutting down body fat more than building muscle, but I wouldn't mind being more toned all around. So I guess what I'm asking is if protein shakes would do me any good? Like I'm totally clueless on this subject. I know protein helps build muscle, but beyond that I'm not sure. Especially since I'm trying to lose weight I wouldn't want that to affect it in any way. If anyone has any insight on the subject or good websites/articles that would help, that would be awesome! thanks :)

I'm no dietician by any means, but I have been working out and learning how to properly fuel by body for my own fitness goals over the years through advice, exercise, and just trial and error. I think it's good that you have already started losing some weight and are looking for advice. Great job! In men protein is a catalyst for keeping testosterone high and fat low. At some point consuming too much protein can be bad for your liver just like consuming too much alcohol. Do you exercise?

For women especially if you are sedentary, your protein needs will be significantly lower than say a man that works out 3 or 4 days a week. Just taking protein supplements won't make you lose weight alone.

Cardio is a great way to melt off the pounds and get yourself nice and toned, but you cannot out train a bad diet so that would be the first place to start. Protein will help rebuild your muscles and feed them after a workout.

• Author
Do you exercise?

Yes I exercise! I work out a minimum of 3 days a week (an hour to an hour and a half each time) . Lately its been more like 4-5x. Usually consisting of bodyweight exercises or cardio. Mainly just focused of keeping my heartrate up

• Author
Are you male or female? Given your weight goal, I am going to assume female but correct me if I am wrong. I just ask in regards to caloric intake, as males can have a bit more than females.

Yes I am female. Thanks for taking time to explain all of this! It was actually super helpful. :)

runredlights

If you like running and don't feel self conscious about running outside or on a treadmill in front of other people then I would say seriously just running will make you shed the pounds. As long as your diet is in tact, you could run maybe 6-8 miles a week tops and lose 5-7 pounds EASY in your first month.

The free weight work you're doing is good too, but getting the fat over top off first will reveal the definition even more so (not calling you fat at all btw).

That's where the protein comes in afterwards to rebuild your muscle tissues and lift the booty.

whichwayisup

You want tone and definition? Do yoga, do brisk walking daily.

It's pointless to bulk up on protein shakes especially since you're not building up muscle and working out for hours in the gym. Too much protein shakes are not healthy or good for the body.

runredlights

You would burn more calories just walking around a grocery store than stretchig in 100 dollar lululemons. Yoga will make you more flexible, but the actual calories burned doing yoga are so minuscule compared to real exeecising.

deathandtaxes
Yoga is not exercise. It's just stretching.

Have you stepped foot in a yoga class? There are gentle classes like you think. Then there are classes that will make you quit in the middle.

OP - don't waste money on protein powder. Unless you're trying to bulk up on muscle, just eat some good lean protein during the day. It won't take much. Watching what you eat and how much you exercise will help you shed weight. And don't under eat!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!!

• Like 1
whichwayisup

Obviously you've never done yoga or seen what does to the body, how it tones up muscles and shows definition.

runredlights

But it's just stretching... What else is there to it that I'm missing. How are you burning calories from stretching?

• Like 1

Yoga is just stretching like caviar is just fish eggs.....:rolleyes:

Unless you have actually practised Yoga, you won't understand that your comment is totally baseless. Yoga is NOT 'just stretching', but works hard on every muscle group and really builds up a sweat....

I honestly urge you to give Yoga a try before even thinking it's 'just stretching'....

loveweary11

No.

Protein shakes have zero use for you.

There are 2 things you needto do to lose weight.

1) Eat less -reduce total daily caloric intake substantially, while at the same time, eating better foods like whole grains, vegetables, no sugars.

2) Exercise. Run, bike, whatever. Just get out there daily and burn calories off.

It's that simple. Most people are too lazy to do these things though. Also, the diet changes regarding types of food need to be permanent once you lose the weight, or it'll come rightback.

loveweary11

Beg to differ. Yoga is not high burn cardio, but it's great strength training for females and creates the absolute hottest female bodies.

Try holding one of these for a minute or two and get back to me on if it's just stretching. ;)

http://www.doyouyoga.com/10-insane-yoga-poses-you-wish-you-could-strike/

Edited by loveweary11
  • Like 1

Forget yoga and cardio and brisk walking.

Protein is very good because it helps you to build muscle which is essential for long term weight control. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your metabolism and the less fat you become. Walking briskly or doing some running on the treadmill builds no muscle. If you do these for long enough, you will create calorie deficit but that just means losing muscle if you don't eat properly and you retain body fat. The body gets rid of muscle before it gets rid of fat because muscle is more expensive to run. Hence the skinny fat look on girls that spend excessive amount of time on the treadmill.

Here is a great article on diet, keeping carbs to a good level (ideally cycling them for days when you need energy to build muscle) and have lots of protein.

Yes yoga is stretching and while it's good for you, it does not help losing fat. A good low-carb diet however does

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/10-mistakes-women-make-with-diets

And no, building muscle does not mean that you will turn into the incredible hulk. Only that you become strong and keep body fat at a manageable level.

Beg to differ. Yoga is not high burn cardio, but it's great strength training for females and creates the absolute hottest female bodies.

Try holding one of these for a minute or two and get back to me on if it's just stretching. ;)

It's not great for strength training and I don't really understand why you would think that some photos on a yoga website would prove in any way that it's how those women got their bodies. The first photo on that page shows a woman that weight trains, you can tell from her hamstrings and glutes. She absolutely did not get that body from yoga.

The other women have low body fat, low carb diet, again nothing to do with yoga as such. Some are gymnasts. again nothing to do with yoga.

• Like 2
loveweary11
It's not great for strength training and I don't really understand why you would think that some photos on a yoga website would prove in any way that it's how those women got their bodies. The first photo on that page shows a woman that weight trains, you can tell from her hamstrings and glutes. She absolutely did not get that body from yoga.

The other women have low body fat, low carb diet, again nothing to do with yoga as such. Some are gymnasts. again nothing to do with yoga.

If only this site allowed you to post pictures of people you know, I could show you 4 examples of the most in shape female bodies you've ever seen. And I personally know these women. One is a yoga instructor coming to visit me for the weekend (on a more love shack note).

Their bodies are perfect specimens.

Not bulky like women who lift heavy weights.

Sender with incredible tone.

That's what yoga does.

• Like 2
runredlights
If only this site allowed you to post pictures of people you know, I could show you 4 examples of the most in shape female bodies you've ever seen. And I personally know these women. One is a yoga instructor coming to visit me for the weekend (on a more love shack note).

Their bodies are perfect specimens.

Not bulky like women who lift heavy weights.

Sender with incredible tone.

That's what yoga does.

What you're saying is like taking an example from a shake weight or ab roller infomercial. Like ohh all I do is this for 20 minutes 3x a week and I'm in the best shape of my life now. Like you know this one person who has a body like this. That could pertain to genetics and ultimately DIET as well. I'm sure your petite plump bottom friends with slender bodies do many more exercises other than yoga. I think yoga alone is fairly worthless in terms of shaping your physique. I suppose it could help very very mildly though.

runredlights

And I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad or discourage her from her weight loss goals, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to lose weight, keep it off, and let alone attain a physique like the girls you are mentioning have.

I'm just saying yoga is not the solution if she is really serious about it. It's just a trendy fad "exercise" that has become enormously popular in recent years when really it will do very little to help with what she's trying to accomplish.

Stay active, eat right, eat right, eat right and stay off the protein powder. Take a look at the video Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix about juicing and the benefits of it. No I am NOT saying your fat, the video is to show you how you can lose the weight in a healthy manner and change your life also.

deathandtaxes
And I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad or discourage her from her weight loss goals, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to lose weight, keep it off, and let alone attain a physique like the girls you are mentioning have.

I'm just saying yoga is not the solution if she is really serious about it. It's just a trendy fad "exercise" that has become enormously popular in recent years when really it will do very little to help with what she's trying to accomplish.

Can you say this from experience? go do some flow classes five times a week and tell me how you feel.

• Like 1
loveweary11

I do agree with much of this.

Without eating correctly, pretty much nothing will work for her, yoga included. The solution to losing weight starts at your mouth. Couldn't agree more.

Yoga takes someone who is eating correctly, at a decent weight, and tones them to perfection (female perfection- us guys have a different need).

So I see what you are saying. Yoga puts the finishing touch on. After the weight is closer to ideal. Higher calorie burn than yoga will get her there faster.

I think there's some good ideas in this thread, but when you are 5'5" and trying to lose 60 pounds, it's not a situation where someone is trying to fine-tune their diet or squeeze out one more rep in their workout. The OP is someone trying to make a major change in her life and I have a lot of respect for that.

That being said, protein powder is a complete waste in your situation. It's expensive and I doubt you are any where close to protein-deficient. I would suggest that your time and money is much better spent on buying even more fruits and vegetables than in supplementing with protein powder.

Don't make things too complicated. Eliminate junk food and all sugar, eat mostly fruits and vegetables, limit (or eliminate) starches and walk everyday until you achieve your goal weight. Once you've reached your goal weight, you can learn about weight training or pilates or whatever interests the new svelte you for a lifetime of good health.

Good luck.

Edited by EasyHeart
runredlights
Can you say this from experience? go do some flow classes five times a week and tell me how you feel.

I have never done yoga no.