Is rib removal surgery for real or is it just a hollywood myth?

Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that stars like Shakira and Cher had rib removal surgery to make their waists appear smaller. I wonder if this type of surgery really exists, or if its some sort of urban myth. I've always wanted a smaller waist and though it sounds a bit brutal if they do it I wouldn't mind considering it. It must be real expensive though. So, does this type of surgery actually exist?

I've heard of it in the old days when women tried to fit into their boustierres*

*(? sp) Where's the spelling police when you need them?!

bluechocolate

It exists & is usually performed at the same time as an abdominoplasty to stretch & tighten the skin down to the waist.

Just do a search on "rib removal" & you'll find a surgeon to do it for you too.

Not me Ive lost sooooooooooooooooo much weight dont know why??? Look at my torso you can count the bones all the way down my back...I look anorexic I didnt know it was that bad...and I eat! I need to overdose on McDonalds.

Please donate rib here...lol

I have heard of that. And also of another shocking thing that apparently models used to do: have their molar teeth removed to make their faces slimmer. I wouldn't mind a somewhat thinner face, but that is wayyyy over the edge.

Oh, and I've also heard of people who get their baby toes amputated so that they can wear sharply pointed shoes. Whoa. I'm sure there's lots more weird things people do just to give the illusion of a fashionable figure.

goodnbad

BurningBright
And also of another shocking thing that apparently models used to do: have their molar teeth removed to make their faces slimmer. I wouldn't mind a somewhat thinner face, but that is wayyyy over the edge.

If there is a dentist that would actually do that! OMG, I would be so angry!! I'm in the dental profession and we strive to keep chompers. If they were to extract them for the hopes of a thinner face for their client... Ah, that's just wrong in my mind.

Now on the other hand, when people have their wisdom teeth extracted, it can make some people appear to have higher cheekbones (since the cheeks can SLIGHTLY cave in a bit) and I guess this could give the appearance of a thinner face.

lol... and to think, people get fat taken from their hips to plump up wrinkles in their face. I guess there is a good point to having a fat face... hardly any wrinkles, and no fat injections or tooth extractions!! YAY! :laugh:

~BurningBright :p

The only person I have heard that has done that is Thalia. Whether it's true or not I have no idea, but they always say she took off one of her ribs. You have to admit the girl has a small a$$ waist!!!!!!!

Nocturnalkitee

I read this in a tabloid about 5 yrs. ago, that Janet Jackson had two ribs removed to have a smaller waist line. Fact or fiction? :confused:

Nocturnalkitee

Vanity will make some people do things that most of us would consider strange.

The rib cage is there to protect our vital organs.

Call it vanity or whatever you want, but although I still think that tooth/rib/toe removal is over the edge, I still WOULD have some surgeries:

A face lift (hey, losing 90+ pounds does some less-than-pleasant things to a 39 year old face)

A tummy tuck (ditto, a weight-loss result, not to mention from being preggers twice)

A nose job (this is the one feature I have hated all my life, aside from my big boobs, which I have already remedied with a reduction! ;) )

Lipo on my inner thighs, which no amount of weight loss or exercise will ever trim down 'cause I suspect it's genetic. Thigh burn, need I say more?

I know there are some out there that think everyone should just age gracefully, but it just doesn't happen the same way for everyone. Some people are blessed with beauty even into their golden years, and some are not. I think surgery does improve some peoples' outlook on life, but there are also some loonies who take it way too far.

I grit my teeth everytime I hear stuff like "You should be happy with who you are" or "You've earned every wrinkle/gray hair/stretch mark, so be proud" or, the worst of all, "Be yourself". Ick. Doubly annoying is when this claptrap is preached by someone who is model-thin, gorgeous, and looks ten years younger than they are. Like they would understand how it is for us plain janes.

goodnbad

Originally posted by goodnbad

Call it vanity or whatever you want, but although I still think that toe removal is over the edge...............

TOE removal?????? :eek::eek::eek: Who the hell would do that??????? :confused:

Except Tattoomytoe of course!!!!! :p

Originally posted by dyermaker

Marilyn Manson's been said to have ribs removed for other purposes.

He did it to give himself a blow, at least that's what I heard :confused: Weird!

He did it to give himself a blow, at least that's what I heard.....!

And, er, is this the reason he gave his surgeon? :p "Yes, doctor, no one seems to fulfill me adequately, and so......" :laugh:

• 9 months later...
Estrella Latina

You've got it wrong!

Shakira wasn't the one who had the rib removal surgery. That was Thalia...but that was a long time ago....

Well it does exist...