Plus size models in Cosmo

CrystalCastles

They are both stunners, especially Marina Bulatkina (I mean, just look at the second to last picture!).

I am not plus-size. I'm very tall and very thin naturally. However I like it more when there are people in magazines and advertisements that don't all have my body type. Variety is very nice to look at. Its refreshing to see models with different bodies than just tall and thin.

Plus, it more accurately represents the population. Not every woman is tall and thin, its nice to make women with other body types feel included too. And advertisements like these point out that there are many different body shapes and sizes that are beautiful.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm saddened that we are nearing a time where those body types on women will be the norm.

I wonder how many men would truly prefer those women at their current weight, or 50 lbs lighter. Both women are at least 200 lbs.

• Like 1
Denise Bidot and Marina Bulatkina Pose Nude to Raise Awareness About Body Confidence

Saw this on my fb tonight and was wondering what LS would think I think the women look good..

I think those women in those photos look beautiful.

Sometimes I'm concerned that some aspects of the "body confidence" movement are trying to normalise being unhealthily overweight (that's perhaps the flip-side to the traditional fashion movement trying to normalise being unhealthily underweight), but I'm not in a rush to take a tape measure or weighing scales to those two women because I'd rather just look and smile.

• Like 2
  • Author
Honestly, I'm saddened that we are nearing a time where those body types on women will be the norm.

I wonder how many men would truly prefer those women at their current weight, or 50 lbs lighter. Both women are at least 200 lbs.

Funny thing is I remember that girl you were chasing a while back "busy girl" if I remember right? weren't you saying she was overweight? curious as to what your opinion of over weight is cause these women are indeed over weight I would not even say obese but over weight.

I some how do not think they are over 200 pounds and so what if they are they are clearly happy with them selves why do you feel the need to shame women like them? just cause their body type is not your personal ideal.

Im sure there is no shortage of thin women out there maybe just none that want to date you and im sorry but thats not every over weight women's fault..its almost like some men are angry cause they cannot get the women they ideally want so they take it out on everyone else..

• Like 3
  • Author

Sometimes I'm concerned that some aspects of the "body confidence" movement are trying to normalise being unhealthily overweight (that's perhaps the flip-side to the traditional fashion movement trying to normalise being unhealthily underweight), but I'm not in a rush to take a tape measure or weighing scales to those two women because I'd rather just look and smile.

Agreed its a thin line when it comes to it cause morbidly obese is not good but also even if a women is that big there is nothing wrong with telling her its ok to love herself for the person she is while offering her support to help get healthier should they choose to.

Really if were going to talk "health concerns" its kind of like with smokers what they do is clearly not healthy yet they are far less ridiculed and openly disrespected why? simply because while their health issues are just as bad they are much less visible both major "health problems" both as some would say a choice. So in reality every time you talk to or date a smoker regardless of how thin they may be you are also then supporting bad health choices as well..

I think really what it boils down to is at the end of the day everyone has the right to feel comfortable and receive basic humans respect in their own skin regardless of their personal choices. If you don't like it thats fine you don't have to no ones forcing anyone to date these women but who cares if they are happy with themselves?

Edited by TigerLilly78
  • Like 1

Neither of these women is morbidly obese, overweight probably, but not morbidly obese.

• Like 2

Absolutely disgusting.

Are we so misguided as a species that we can't be healthy and fit?

It's not very hard. People are just weak and lazy. Let's reinforce that's it's ok to eat tons of sugars and sit around all day doing nothing.

Let's have little girls aspire to be fat, just so we can appease people who are too lazy to stay in shape.

Humans did not evolve to eat the number of calories (in sugar especially) the average American takes in in a day. This body tyoe does exist naturally, but 90% of fat people are just lazy.

I had a college friend who was fat. He got sick of it. He decided to spend a summer not eating and running, In 2 MONTHS he easily went from 270 lbs to 180. No problem. He wasn't lazy. He changed his diet.

Lastly, where are the magazine spreads with nasty fat guys? Why is it only fat women?

Thankfully, the younger generation is doing better and seeing through this bs. Kids were pretty fat 10 years ago. They seem to be in much better shape these days.

There is no pride in being unhealthy. Let's not try to make it glamorous.

Edited by nofeelings22
  • Like 8
Absolutely disgusting.

Are we so misguided as a species that we can't be healthy and fit?

It's not very hard. People are just weak and lazy. Let's reinforce that's it's ok to eat tons of sugars and sit around all day doing nothing.

Let's have little girls aspire to be fat, just so we can appease people who are too lazy to stay in shape.

Humans did not evolve to eat the number of calories (in sugar especially) the average American takes in in a day. This body tyoe does exist naturally, but 90% of fat people are just lazy.

I had a college friend who was fat. He got sick of it. He decided to spend a summer not eating and running, In 2 MONTHS he easily went from 270 lbs to 180. No problem. He wasn't lazy. He changed his diet.

Lastly, where are the magazine spreads with nasty fat guys? Why is it only fat women?

Thankfully, the younger generation is doing better and seeing through this bs. Kids were pretty fat 10 years ago. They seem to be in much better shape these days.

There is no pride in being unhealthy. Let's not try to make it glamorous.

I wouldn't worry so much. Research shows two trends that should ease your mind:

1. Body sizes of women in magazine spreads have decreased significantly over the last 50 years, (the "thin ideal"), even as the average non-model body size (men and women) has increased.

2. Magazines are also showing more and more of these thin women's bodies.

So basically, one nude pictorial of two overweight models means exactly bupkiss in the larger trend of thinner models who are increasingly exposed. Feel better now?

I mean, clearly, those thin pictures are helping enormously when it comes to inspiring women in general to be healthy weights! Not.

As for your question about men: There are, by and large, far fewer pictures of men overall, because women receive the much larger share of image spam about what size they ought to be. But we do see plenty of overweight dudes in, for example, Entertainment Weekly, as that body type is far more accepted for guys in entertainment.

In short, in response to your post, no.

• Like 6
I wouldn't worry so much. Research shows two trends that should ease your mind:

1. Body sizes of women in magazine spreads have decreased significantly over the last 50 years, (the "thin ideal"), even as the average non-model body size (men and women) has increased.

2. Magazines are also showing more and more of these thin women's bodies.

So basically, one nude pictorial of two overweight models means exactly bupkiss in the larger trend of thinner models who are increasingly exposed. Feel better now?

I mean, clearly, those thin pictures are helping enormously when it comes to inspiring women in general to be healthy weights! Not.

As for your question about men: There are, by and large, far fewer pictures of men overall, because women receive the much larger share of image spam about what size they ought to be. But we do see plenty of overweight dudes in, for example, Entertainment Weekly, as that body type is far more accepted for guys in entertainment.

In short, in response to your post, no.

Sorry for the rant. lol

I am strongly opposed to this societal trend.

But no... the slightly too thin pictures are GOOD to aspire to. Not many people will reach the thin levels of many regular models. It's often genetic and they are from a thin family. But *aspiring* toward the thin model body type is healthy (so long as no eating disorders develop). Think about it. If you aren't naturally the size 0, but are working toward it, you are actually eating a proper amout of calories and getting a lot of exercise. You are healthy. You are not going to achieve that genetic thin body type, but you trying is what gets you into great shape for your personal body type.

Same for us guys. I see Hugh Jackman, Brad Pitt and David Beckham. I also see tons of genetic body types like Vin Diesel or other super huge guys. I bust my ass eating right and exercising to aspire to look more like these guys we are shown as the perfect male specimens. Will I ever achieve it? Hell no. Those aren't my family's genetics. But... im in the best shape I can be through the process of trying to look like these guys.

Same for women.

We, as a society, don't need to be promoting that it's ok to let yourself go. Enough people do that already.

Edited by nofeelings22
thefooloftheyear

Just more of the "everyone gets a trophy"...:rolleyes:

Be happy with who you are...Im not down with it...Someone else is? Good for them...Im pretty short as far as guys go, but I'm happy and I dont give a crap, nor do I expect to be "recognized"...

I will say that I really dont understand the need for super stick thin models..I got a flyer for a Hugo Boss store and the male models looked like 11 year old boys...Just dont get it??

Rather than thin, I'd much prefer this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSlyv-TudQ

Bottom line?

Be happy with how you are...Dont worry about what others think...

TFY

• Like 4
Ninjainpajamas

Personally I find it tasteless.

Basically let's accept "women" for their "real" bodies, but let's airbrush and photoshop the hell out of their faces, it's like a half-way kind of thing.

And it's still not the average everyday girl we're talking about here. Women look at faces and features that men never even notice, men scan the entire package and it's either a green light or a red one, they tend to be much less critical than women are once that green light is lit, so I still see women blaming the media for their insecurity and I suppose men as well for having unrealistic expectations, because even though those women are overweight, they're still more "beautiful" than Jennifer who's having body and facial beauty issues in highschool.

I mean, is it really helping her?

Their head doesn't even match the tone/colorization of the rest of their body, it looks odd to me...so what's the message here? you can be overweight as long as you have an airbrushed overly caked up digital face?

I think we can all agree that a pretty face is a pretty face, I think it's just different for men on whether he's going to be attracted to her (overall package) or not depending on how much weight she has on her.

Secondly, I don't think it's the greatest idea to promote being heavy...I understand that we're trying not to hurt the feelings of a certain demographic of people and even certain countries...but the reality of it is that it's not healthy and it's becoming a huge health problem/crisis. Because people are overweight due to poor diet, eating habits and essentially very little exercise, and I don't know why that is a good thing even though women have different shapes and sizes..it doesn't mean overweight needs to be the new norm or standard and "fat" is like 250 pounds or more.

I've been spending some time living overseas in Europe, and the women here are just much smaller overall than what I'm used to in the US. And their idea of "overweight" is much different than ours...what they call fat, Americans call "a little extra" or "curvy" which is basically the women in those pictures of even heavier.

I've been on these buses and thought to myself, that these buses would need to be completely redesigned just to get people down the isles..let alone sit in the actual seats side by side together...I'm 6'1 205 pounds, very wide shouldered but otherwise not a huge guy by American standards by any means and when I sit next to even petite/skinny women, I'm still touching them even with almost hanging one ass cheek off the seat...especially if we were in the States and taking the damn thing to Walmart...there'd be absolutely no room to pull our little buggies in that disabled and obese people drive around the store with, but then again we'd just drive there and circle the parking lot for 15 mins until we get a parking place 10 ft from the door.

And it's easy to understand why...much more walking around, much more activity in general, and most importantly the food portions are much smaller, not to mention more expensive.

When you ask people what the first thing people think about when it comes to Americans...they say, "they're fat and eat too much" or something along those lines. Luckily I am not overweight so I don't perpetuate the stereotype, otherwise they probably wouldn't tell me...but even when I tell people that a lot of Americans are fit, they kind of look at me with a bit of disbelief like "Yeah, yeah, sure they are....all two of them".

The point or this whole rant is, that there's nothing positive about being overweight. There just isn't. Why are we trying to create a culture of acceptance rather than change?

Nothing has been made more obvious to me living abroad, than recognizing the US's poor eating habits and low activity...and just the amount of food, soda and sugar we consume on a day to day basis.

Whether Cosmo is posting about beautiful skinny women, or beautiful "full-figured" women...it's still about the superficiality of it all is it not? and as much as women like to blame media for their insecurities in looks..could we really have it any other way? would you really go out of your way as a woman to read about how intelligent and aspiring women are? Does it really make women feel better when they see a more successful and more beautiful woman posted in some article talking about how she persevered?

People are dying from obesity, people are getting sick and shortening their life due to a preventable diseases...I cannot fathom why being overweight is being pushed to be "accepted" when health wise, it is such a detriment and has zero positive affects on the body that I'm aware of...unless you count the extra "armor" it may provide when being stabbed..it might protect your vital organs in that case...but otherwise, what is really to "celebrate"? future mothers, further grandmothers dying earlier than they should because of weight related issues.

But hey, as long as you feel better about yourself right now..right?

• Like 9

My thoughts are something like this:

Lovely ladies!

Why are their faces so airbrushed?

Why is it necessary to have a feature about women of different sizes?

Why aren't there normally women of different sizes featured?

Why would anyone want to criticize these women's bodies?

Why are we so focused on women's bodies anyway?

Why does anyone care what Cosmo says?

• Like 15

Me.....:cool:

Edited by dichotomy
  • Like 4
Funny thing is I remember that girl you were chasing a while back "busy girl" if I remember right? weren't you saying she was overweight? curious as to what your opinion of over weight is cause these women are indeed over weight I would not even say obese but over weight.

She was probably 10 lbs overweight. That's fine.

I some how do not think they are over 200 pounds

I Googled the names of both women and how much they weigh. Both were at least 200 lbs.

and so what if they are they are clearly happy with them selves why do you feel the need to shame women like them? just cause their body type is not your personal ideal.

Or the ideal of most other men.

Fat is not beautiful and yet that's the way things seem to be going.

Im sure there is no shortage of thin women out there maybe just none that want to date you and im sorry but thats not every over weight women's fault..its almost like some men are angry cause they cannot get the women they ideally want so they take it out on everyone else..

I'm not talking about dating.

Though if you want to bring it up, I'm troubled that there are less and less thin women out there and the men are competing for those women. If given a choice very few men would prefer an obese woman regardless if she has a pretty face or not.

Edited by somedude81

Though if you want to bring it up, I'm troubled that there are less and less thin women out there and the men are competing for those women. If given a choice very few men would prefer an obese woman regardless if she has a pretty face or not.

That's the beauty of the women's body confidence movement. Finally, it isn't all about what men prefer.

• Like 10
That's the beauty of the women's body confidence movement. Finally, it isn't all about what men prefer.

In other words, it's OK to be fat.

Don't worry about eating right or exercising. Those things don't matter anymore.

• Like 3
She was probably 10 lbs overweight. That's fine.

I Googled the names of both women and how much they weigh. Both were at least 200 lbs.

Or the ideal of most other men.

Fat is not beautiful and yet that's the way things seem to be going.

It's like nobody read my post. As I have pointed out, "fat is beautiful" is demonstrably not the way things are going. In fact, the data show that glamorizing ever-thinner women (which is what has actually happened) is actually not helping women in real life get thinner. The two trends over the past 50 years or so have exactly opposite signs. Something to chew on.

Har har.

One thing that has been happening is that men are getting fat-shamed a bit more than they used to. So we'll see if that gets people to go to the gym more. My guess is, no.

Edited by serial muse
  • Like 1
It's like nobody read my post. As I have pointed out, "fat is beautiful" is demonstrably not the way things are going. In fact, the data show that glamorizing ever-thinner women (which is what has actually happened) is actually not helping women in real life get thinner. The two trends over the past 50 years or so have exactly opposite signs. Something to chew on.

Har har.

One thing that has been happening is that men are getting fat-shamed a bit more than they used to. So we'll see if that gets people to go to the gym more. My guess is, no.

The whole "plus-size" model thing is very new. 50 years ago none of those women would be in a photo shoot. There is definitely a trend that "fat is beautiful."

Michelle ma Belle
The whole "plus-size" model thing is very new. 50 years ago none of those women would be in a photo shoot. There is definitely a trend that "fat is beautiful."

Bullsh*t.

30, 40 even 50 years ago women in magazines were much more robust, curvy, voluptuous or whatever you want to call it.

Look at Marilyn Monroe - she was a size 16 and men fell over themselves to get close to her.

Have you ever watched Mad Men?

Ever picked up an art book from the Renaissance period or visited the Sistine Chapel or St. Peter's Basilica? Just look at how Michelangelo portrayed women of that time period.

The examples are countless.

The difference is women weren't called "plus size" back then, it was just the norm.

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 9

Personally I'll take the plus size girl over a 95 lb waif all day every day and even on Sunday.

5'10-6 feet, absolutely, 170 lbs., sure. Once you start getting into my weight class, 190, then, well, it's time for portion control

However, Christina Hendricks does NOTHING for me. Most overrated woman on television besides Sofia Vergara.