Does anyone here use/used a weight gainer?

Just ordered Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer which has about 1300 calories per serving since I seem to not be gaining any weight since going back to the gym. I'm 5'7" & only weigh 130 pounds. I can tell I look bigger in the arms & chest, but I'm still not gaining weight for some reason. I suppose I'm not eating enough daily so I decided to get a weight gainer. Anyone here ever use one?

thefooloftheyear

Most of that stuiff is gimmickry....if you ask me...

Two things...

If you want to pack on mass...do it with food....Lots of food...And dont waste your time with a lot of vegs...All they will do is filll you up with a lot of empty calories...Stick with meats, chicken...complex carbs..nuts, etc..Eat every few hours...even if you get up in the night eat some more...Drink whole milk with meals if your stoimach can tolerate it...

The other thing....and this is very important...

Genetics are more important than people might imagine..If you lack the proper basic architecture to gain mass and put on lean size, then probably all that will happen is you willl put on a bit of fat..and thats no good..

Not saying there is nothing you can do...but understand your limitations..

What type of training are you doing??

TFY

• Like 4
  • Author
Most of that stuiff is gimmickry....if you ask me...

Two things...

If you want to pack on mass...do it with food....Lots of food...And dont waste your time with a lot of vegs...All they will do is filll you up with a lot of empty calories...Stick with meats, chicken...complex carbs..nuts, etc..Eat every few hours...even if you get up in the night eat some more...Drink whole milk with meals if your stoimach can tolerate it...

The other thing....and this is very important...

Genetics are more important than people might imagine..If you lack the proper basic architecture to gain mass and put on lean size, then probably all that will happen is you willl put on a bit of fat..and thats no good..

Not saying there is nothing you can do...but understand your limitations..

What type of training are you doing??

TFY

Well, I already ordered the stuff so too late now. Might as well try it out once at least to see if it does anything. And yeah my Dad is like that too where he eats a lot & doesn't really gain weight. So could be a genetic thing for me.

And I've just been doing full body workouts 3 or 4 times a week at the gym. Do a mix of free weights & machines. Not trying to get into bodybuilding shape or anything, just want to gain some weight & look a bit bigger.

Always Pondering

I'm currently using one but I also pay attention to what I eat and make in the kitchen (meats, protein, carbs, high-calorie count, etc.). I regularly weight lift / exercise and am gaining mass as well as developing muscle. Since I do both, I can't say whether or not the weight-gainer does anything by itself but I've never really tried to "just use it only" because well, there's no point.

Make sure you're eating a lot though (in a healthy way) and I don't mean eat a bunch of random crap you find around the house. I used to think I ate a lot but still never gained weight, turns out I was eating garbage and not even eating enough.

• Author
I'm currently using one but I also pay attention to what I eat and make in the kitchen (meats, protein, carbs, high-calorie count, etc.). I regularly weight lift / exercise and am gaining mass as well as developing muscle. Since I do both, I can't say whether or not the weight-gainer does anything by itself but I've never really tried to "just use it only" because well, there's no point.

Make sure you're eating a lot though (in a healthy way) and I don't mean eat a bunch of random crap you find around the house. I used to think I ate a lot but still never gained weight, turns out I was eating garbage and not even eating enough.

I admit I probably do eat more garbage food than I should. But I always get my healthy food in too. I think I just haven't been getting enough calorie intake per day in. I sometimes feel like I eat a lot, but I guess it's not as enough as I think which is why I'm not gaining. Guess I'll see what happens with the weight gainer I got. 1300 calories just on that alone should help me out a bit I'd like to think.

Always Pondering
I admit I probably do eat more garbage food than I should. But I always get my healthy food in too. I think I just haven't been getting enough calorie intake per day in. I sometimes feel like I eat a lot, but I guess it's not as enough as I think which is why I'm not gaining. Guess I'll see what happens with the weight gainer I got. 1300 calories just on that alone should help me out a bit I'd like to think.

I'm not sure how the Serious Mass one works, I use Optimum Nutrition but a different kind. It looks like you'll be drinking a ton of that stuff! I think a serving size from that weight gainer is 300+ grams of the powder mixed with 3 cups of milk / water. Hopefully yours tastes is good as mine, I make mine with 2% milk and some peanut butter and it tastes so good that I look forward to the next time.

• Author
I'm not sure how the Serious Mass one works, I use Optimum Nutrition but a different kind. It looks like you'll be drinking a ton of that stuff! I think a serving size from that weight gainer is 300+ grams of the powder mixed with 3 cups of milk / water. Hopefully yours tastes is good as mine, I make mine with 2% milk and some peanut butter and it tastes so good that I look forward to the next time.

That's awesome. What's the name of the one you use? And yeah, I'll probably use a mixture of water/milk together instead of just water. May just use 1 scoop instead of the serving size of 2 though. Will last longer & still get tons of calories that way.

Just ordered Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer which has about 1300 calories per serving since I seem to not be gaining any weight since going back to the gym.

First off, I would double check the nutritional label on the container. I think you accidentally added an extra zero. If you didn't, I would be scared of whatever you purchased, because your kidneys are going to be very upset with you.

Second, protein powder is the tip of the iceberg. It is a supplement. You are not going to put on size through simply taking a weight-gain powder twice a day. Not going to happen. You need to be consuming way more calories then you are burning. Calorie dense: eggs, meat, dairy, more meat, more eggs, and broccoli.

Third, if you are doing a full body workout four times a week, then you aren't lifting heavy enough. No way you should be able to hit a body part more than twice per week, unless you're on an insane Michael Phelps diet.

That being said, everything is correctable. Just exercising in itself is great, and maybe you'll "settle" for that. But if you want to gain muscle? You can't half-ass it. Lifting weights is the EASY part. Eating eight times a day? Bleeech.

• Like 1
  • Author
Food works why better. Those supplements are just a cheaper way of getting the what's in food.

Meat is what you need.

I get that, but I figure it's worth a try at least once anyways to see what it does. Already purchased it, so I'm not going to let it go to waste lol.

• Author
First off, I would double check the nutritional label on the container. I think you accidentally added an extra zero. If you didn't, I would be scared of whatever you purchased, because your kidneys are going to be very upset with you.

Second, protein powder is the tip of the iceberg. It is a supplement. You are not going to put on size through simply taking a weight-gain powder twice a day. Not going to happen. You need to be consuming way more calories then you are burning. Calorie dense: eggs, meat, dairy, more meat, more eggs, and broccoli.

Third, if you are doing a full body workout four times a week, then you aren't lifting heavy enough. No way you should be able to hit a body part more than twice per week, unless you're on an insane Michael Phelps diet.

That being said, everything is correctable. Just exercising in itself is great, and maybe you'll "settle" for that. But if you want to gain muscle? You can't half-ass it. Lifting weights is the EASY part. Eating eight times a day? Bleeech.

Nope, its 1250 calories per serving. It's 2 huge scoops. But I was intending on just using 1 scoop instead of the full serving size of 2.

And yeah, I probably am not lifting heavy enough I admit. It's just I workout alone & I hate doing a lot of free weight exercises without having a spotter. Would hate to have to keep asking others to spot me at the gym constantly. But I do need to change up my routine & start doing more & lifting heavier.

I get that, but I figure it's worth a try at least once anyways to see what it does. Already purchased it, so I'm not going to let it go to waste lol.

Yeah I've used whey protein (weight gainer has more calories) because I didn't want to extra fat and calories from food. I think it work to an extant, but you're really thin, probably have a strong metabolism, so I'm not sure if it's gonna be enough for you.

When I was serious about weight lifting and was trained by one of those Mr. Olympian guys, I used a weight gainer but I don't remember which one. I wish I could remember the name. But at any rate, I just wanted to tell you what happened.

Being that I was pretty serious about it, I ended up packing muscle on so fast it looked like I was taking steroids! No fat or just weight gain but purely muscle mass only. I never wanted to be in body building competitions or anything like that. I actually found women in that kind of shape a bit gross and didn't want to be one. I wanted to just be nice and toned up but strong since it makes everything in life so much easier. And weight lifting is just way too fun once you get into it.

I gained muscle so quickly that I grossed myself out because I got too big too fast by accident which was never my initial intention and had to stop weight lifting completely for a month, quit trying so hard and back my routine down to a light maintenance.

I want to make sure I'm explaining this right. I'm a small framed woman. I started with little biceps, some slight muscle. Within weeks I accidentally ended up with solid baseballs for biceps that were just too much! Hard as rocks! And I never worked out over an hour per day.

You're saying you're a bit of a lightweight and want to just put on some weight overall, right? I can't say this will work the way you sound like you want it to. It's designed for weight lifting and works better than you would think!

I don't agree with the idea of just eating purely a ton of food to get your calorie intake up because weight lifters get bloated stomachs doing that and you're asking for heartburn from Hades because your stomach can only process so much food at a time per day. You'll be eating Tums like they're going out of style once the heartburn starts kicking in.

Upping your calorie intake is going to do something for you, at least. I think weight gainers is at least an easier way to go on your stomach while you're figuring out where your diet may be lacking. Kind of give you a jump start.

I have to ask though...why not get into body building? You'll look a lot bigger and that's at least one of the things you want to accomplish. You don't have to be huge but for a guy, building your shoulders will make you just plain appear bigger.

• Like 2
  • Author
Yeah I've used whey protein (weight gainer has more calories) because I didn't want to extra fat and calories from food. I think it work to an extant, but you're really thin, probably have a strong metabolism, so I'm not sure if it's gonna be enough for you.

Only thing I've been using is Muscle Milk protein shake as far as supplements go.

Only thing I've been using is Muscle Milk protein shake as far as supplements go.

Well just try it out, what's the worst thing that can happen? lol

• Author
When I was serious about weight lifting and was trained by one of those Mr. Olympian guys, I used a weight gainer but I don't remember which one. I wish I could remember the name. But at any rate, I just wanted to tell you what happened.

Being that I was pretty serious about it, I ended up packing muscle on so fast it looked like I was taking steroids! No fat or just weight gain but purely muscle mass only. I never wanted to be in body building competitions or anything like that. I actually found women in that kind of shape a bit gross and didn't want to be one. I wanted to just be nice and toned up but strong since it makes everything in life so much easier. And weight lifting is just way too fun once you get into it.

I gained muscle so quickly that I grossed myself out because I got too big too fast by accident which was never my initial intention and had to stop weight lifting completely for a month, quit trying so hard and back my routine down to a light maintenance.

I want to make sure I'm explaining this right. I'm a small framed woman. I started with little biceps, some slight muscle. Within weeks I accidentally ended up with solid baseballs for biceps that were just too much! Hard as rocks! And I never worked out over an hour per day.

You're saying you're a bit of a lightweight and want to just put on some weight overall, right? I can't say this will work the way you sound like you want it to. It's designed for weight lifting and works better than you would think!

I don't agree with the idea of just eating purely a ton of food to get your calorie intake up because weight lifters get bloated stomachs doing that and you're asking for heartburn from Hades because your stomach can only process so much food at a time per day. You'll be eating Tums like they're going out of style once the heartburn starts kicking in.

Upping your calorie intake is going to do something for you, at least. I think weight gainers is at least an easier way to go on your stomach while you're figuring out where your diet may be lacking. Kind of give you a jump start.

I have to ask though...why not get into body building? You'll look a lot bigger and that's at least one of the things you want to accomplish. You don't have to be huge but for a guy, building your shoulders will make you just plain appear bigger.

Nice reply. I do want to get bigger, but I don't want to look like a bodybuilder. I'd ideally like to get to around 150 pounds or so if possible with more muscle mass. But I don't want to be a jacked up monster lol.

• Author
Well just try it out, what's the worst thing that can happen? lol

lol true. Thinking about it now I've used whey protein before from Optimum Nutrition a long while back. Don't remember if I got results from it or not. I've just started going back to the gym after like 2 years. Only just started going back again in July. Like I said I've noticed my chest & arms to look a bit bigger since but just not seem to be gaining any weight. Just haven't been eating enough I guess. And need to lift heavier as well.

• Like 1
Always Pondering
That's awesome. What's the name of the one you use? And yeah, I'll probably use a mixture of water/milk together instead of just water. May just use 1 scoop instead of the serving size of 2 though. Will last longer & still get tons of calories that way.

I use the Pro Complex Gainer and it's the purple one (chocolate flavor). It's fairly obvious to not use supplements by themselves and eat nothing else. Come up with a meal plan, cook your foods ahead of time and put them in containers if you don't have the time to cook a lot, lift heavier and well you know the drill.

It works for me as I've developed a tone, strong and muscular body with low body fat %. Why fix something that isn't broken right?

• Like 1
Nice reply. I do want to get bigger, but I don't want to look like a bodybuilder. I'd ideally like to get to around 150 pounds or so if possible with more muscle mass. But I don't want to be a jacked up monster lol.

Not this again. Getting big is a gradual process, it's not like you go to bed skinny and wake up the Incredible Hulk. You start your lifts and see how it goes. If growing your body was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

• Like 2
  • Author
Not this again. Getting big is a gradual process, it's not like you go to bed skinny and wake up the Incredible Hulk. You start your lifts and see how it goes. If growing your body was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

lol who ever said i expect to get bigger overnight? of course I know it takes a lot of hard work to get bigger & in better shape. don't know why you even assumed I thought that for.

lol who ever said i expect to get bigger overnight? of course I know it takes a lot of hard work to get bigger & in better shape. don't know why you even assumed I thought that for.

Because you said this 'But I don't want to be a jacked up monster lol.'

Surely before you become a 'jacked up monster' (which would take YEARS) you just stop?

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear
Because you said this 'But I don't want to be a jacked up monster lol.'

Surely before you become a 'jacked up monster' (which would take YEARS) you just stop?

Or probably will never happen....even if steroids were involved...

I have a friend of mine....he trains harder than I do..he looks roughly the same as he did 25 years ago..

People just dont "become jacked" even if it was their life goal....If that was the case, then at least half of the guys in any gym would be jacked, when only a small percentage ever get close to that..

Be the best "you" can be....

TFY

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

In my opinion, it had little to do with the protein powder...You probably just have the type of body that responds to weight training..If it was the powder then you should have contacted the company....Show them before and after pics and you would have had a lucrative endorsement deal..

Most bodybuilders never publicly talk about their diets as some think its giving away some secret...If you scratch the surface, you realize that these guys eat a mountain of food....Upwards of 10,000 calories a day in some cases,...sometimes even more..They set alarm clocks to wake themselves up in the middle of the night for feedings...its crazy...

Ive always looked at adding muscle like a construction project...You can bring a whole crew of guys to the job(training), but you wont get anything built without the wood, mortar, wiring, roofing materials, etc(food)...

A guy way smarter than me in this area, explained that most protein drinks cannot be properly synthesized into what they claim...So, like a lot of vitamins, you just wind up excreting most of it...I dont think its a bad idea to incorporate it into ones diet...But Id quarrel with anyone who thinks that they can get truly big on protien drinks...

TFY

• Like 1

I have consumed 3 tins of Weight Gain (and eating like a gremlin) and doing buttxercise for the past 2 months every.single.day.... and yet, my body still looks as skinny as ever.

So unfair!!!

I'm on my 4th tin now and I will keep drinking that **** til my body expands!

So ugh.. I have no advice. Just ranting.