Working Out @ Home

I just ended my gym membership because I found myself making up great excuses for not going and therefore, didn't go.

So now I'm taking out workout DVD's from the library and scanning youtube for great free uploads. I found a great site:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/videos?sort=p&shelf_id=0&view=0

Working out at home now is new so I'm motivated and exploring all the fun workouts. I'm worried that I'll lose motivation after the novelty wears off.

How do you keep motivated?

• Like 2
thefooloftheyear

I dug up an old photo of when I was 17 years old...I got a cheap cement filled plastic weight set from Sears the previous Christmas...Damn...For a 17 year old kid with only 8 months training at home, I looked pretty jacked..!!:laugh:

It can be done...You dont need a lot of fancy equipment...But you still need dedication and will..Obviously other factors such as diet are important...

My advice is get some mats and hunt Craigslist for some used weights...You dont need much, but I think you will need to do some weight training if you want to achieve your goals..

YMMV

Good Luck.

TFY

• Like 5
  • Author
I dug up an old photo of when I was 17 years old...I got a cheap cement filled plastic weight set from Sears the previous Christmas...Damn...For a 17 year old kid with only 8 months training at home, I looked pretty jacked..!!:laugh:

It can be done...You dont need a lot of fancy equipment...But you still need dedication and will..Obviously other factors such as diet are important...

My advice is get some mats and hunt Craigslist for some used weights...You dont need much, but I think you will need to do some weight training if you want to achieve your goals..

YMMV

Good Luck.

TFY

I have five pound weights and two pound weights and a yoga mat. I think that's all the equipment I'll need. The youtube videos are helpful and fun - now. I'm just worried I'll get bored and stop after a couple of weeks.

-Perserevere. Change workouts every six weeks. Concentrate on daily habits.

Slumps happen, push thru.

• Like 4
deathandtaxes

The novelty will always wear off. Working out at home becomes....working out at home. Just something you do. How to keep up the motivation? Well....that's the tricky part.

How do I keep motivated? I tell myself I don't want to end up like my parents. I like eating crazy stuff and drinking beer now and then. It makes me feel good. It keeps me from being bored sometimes during the week. I have several different things I can think of all the time to keep me motivated. I have my weight training days. I have my yoga days. I take a dance class every now and then. So I do change it up.

I like what Tayla says about the habits. I made exercise a habit, a way of life. I'm not crazy about it, but it's something I do, and I never give up just because I'd rather stay at home on the couch.

Best of luck in your new home work out, OP!!

• Like 3
  • Author
The novelty will always wear off. Working out at home becomes....working out at home. Just something you do. How to keep up the motivation? Well....that's the tricky part.

How do I keep motivated? I tell myself I don't want to end up like my parents. I like eating crazy stuff and drinking beer now and then. It makes me feel good. It keeps me from being bored sometimes during the week. I have several different things I can think of all the time to keep me motivated. I have my weight training days. I have my yoga days. I take a dance class every now and then. So I do change it up.

I like what Tayla says about the habits. I made exercise a habit, a way of life. I'm not crazy about it, but it's something I do, and I never give up just because I'd rather stay at home on the couch.

Best of luck in your new home work out, OP!!

I need to follow both your's and Tayla's advice. I meditate everyday without a problem but that's a lot easier than working out. I might put myself on a schedule and see how I do.

• Like 2

The trick is to find something that you enjoy. Weights, treadmills, spinning, swimming, aerobics classes, jogging round the park, zumba, hiking, indoor climbing... there are plenty of choices these days. If you enjoy it, you will want to do it. And even if you don't feel like it one day, you can tell yourself you'll enjoy it when you get going. If your exercise is a drag then you won't be motivated. So best plan to keep motivated is to find something you enjoy doing and keeps you fit.

• Like 4
todreaminblue

i miss walking.....i really enjoy putting on my headphones and walking at night to my pier......i am really frustrated that i cant now i have this block happening blocking em from walking...someone got attacked on my pier...and i found him.....i have this voice going your next......adn its the only time i really enjoyed fitness i would and can walk for hours at night because i love the silence and the violet shadows....and the night lights.....and i am left alone...just have afeeling my luck is running out....and it is frustrating me....so i made a decision iam reclaiming my night again.......i am going.....i dont want to take my rottie because she is so goofy when she walks but i will......its a logn hike for her...and this tiem i wont stop.....walking....i have this drive to be fit.,......i have to get over the block...and tomorrow night i will...as my rottie snores as i write this..i am buying new headphones tomorrow.....

if you have done this before you can do it again......do what you love and increase as you get fitter change it up and cross train....include different elements and always dance....dance works all your muscles...and its freaking fun..drink three litres of water a day always........deb........

• Like 1
  • Author
i miss walking.....i really enjoy putting on my headphones and walking at night to my pier......i am really frustrated that i cant now i have this block happening blocking em from walking...someone got attacked on my pier...and i found him.....i have this voice going your next......adn its the only time i really enjoyed fitness i would and can walk for hours at night because i love the silence and the violet shadows....and the night lights.....and i am left alone...just have afeeling my luck is running out....and it is frustrating me....so i made a decision iam reclaiming my night again.......i am going.....i dont want to take my rottie because she is so goofy when she walks but i will......its a logn hike for her...and this tiem i wont stop.....walking....i have this drive to be fit.,......i have to get over the block...and tomorrow night i will...as my rottie snores as i write this..i am buying new headphones tomorrow.....

if you have done this before you can do it again......do what you love and increase as you get fitter change it up and cross train....include different elements and always dance....dance works all your muscles...and its freaking fun..drink three litres of water a day always........deb........

I know you like walking in nature but you do need to be aware there are nut jobs out there who could traumatize you for good.

The youtube videos are really good, free and plentiful. I already did a few of them this morning and it was fun and easy. It's amazing how not having to leave the house to go to the gym makes working out much more pleasurable. Here's the link again. See what you can find. Don't put yourself in harms way.

• Like 1
todreaminblue
I know you like walking in nature but you do need to be aware there are nut jobs out there who could traumatize you for good.

The youtube videos are really good, free and plentiful. I already did a few of them this morning and it was fun and easy. It's amazing how not having to leave the house to go to the gym makes working out much more pleasurable. Here's the link again. See what you can find. Don't put yourself in harms way.

i bought a rottie and have owned rotties for a reason so i can feel safe enough to walk at night......i feel like my attackers have won if they stop me from enjoying life.......and that makes em feel weak and more at risk...especially when i am unfit i cant fight like i can when i am fit i need to eb fit and i need to enjoy my life to be fit......my rottie is huge.....i wotn put myself in harms way if i get a vibe ill stay home i have been vibing really strongly......but i also am getting really depressed....i find inspiration with nature to write....to explore to touch to feel to be where i feel closest to god..... ...to be happy should i not be happy....and hidden behind four walls craving to be in part of the night.........ill be careful...thanks cinder ella i appreciate you.....ill be ok.........deb

• Like 2

Cindy:

STAY MOTIVATED -- CALL ME

I'll tell you each day

GET UP GIRL!!!!

hey princess

look up Crossfit WOD's

workouts of the day

look for the body weight ones

they are a blast -- get the cardio part and fitness all in one

give them a try

AND KEEP GOING PRINCESS!

• Like 2

I lost motivation due to health issues, and problems at home, but I used to exercise using DVDs, when I wasn't on the treadmill. There used to be a sitec alled Video Fitness - not sure if it's still there. I liked The Firm, Cathe Friedrich, Tracie Long and Fitprime (from The Firm), etc.

Snakechammah

I need to grow a butt so I'm doing Jen Selter's workouts on the days I'm not working. But distraction is everywhere!

To keep myself motivated, all I need to do is look at my rear in the mirror and... sigh... :(

Smilecharmer

I also found some great apps for my iPad that keeps track of what I'm doing. I usually do four days of aerobics and three of weight training or yoga/Pilates. I have a mini trampoline I jump on while watching my shows. It really is fun and I don't get bored. I have yoga and Pilates apps with my meditation ones. I also have a morning ritual to get my blood flowing. 30 jumping Jacks, 25 crunches, 25 lunges and 10 push-ups. Then after dinner I walk my neighborhood to digest my food. I hate to excercise but my family has high blood pressure and heart problems so I make myself. I maintain my weight this way too since I love bread and pasta. I've been consistently the same weight except during my pregnancies. After I turned thirty I amped up my cardio to 45 minutes instead of thirty due to stuff I had read about slowing metabolism. You can do it. If you can meditate everyday, which I struggle with, you can move your booty.

• Like 4

I have a rebounder, too, but I never get around to bouncing on it when I'm watching TV. I have a video tape workout (from ten years ago, but it sounds like the Dark Ages now), that goes with it. I should bring it up soon - I've been too antsy to sit and get through most things on netflix, or the DVR. I prefer the treadmill, but that's in the office downstairs.

I have to yoga DVDs, too, but have been feeling "meh", even though my body has been wanting exercise - that certain tension all over.

Edited by Anela
  • Author
Re the videos.

I love working out at both home and at the gym. If I want to spice it up I just go to You Tube and put on fast dance music...or dance lessons such as salsa, samba, etc. Can't help but bop around.

The great thing about the youtube videos is that you can mix them up better than taking a class. For the past couple of years my gym catered to Pilates which I like but I miss Hip Hop dancing and Kickboxing. So far today I did an hour workout which incorporated:

Yoga

Ballet

Kickboxing

Weights

It's the best class I had in years!!!

• Author
I also found some great apps for my iPad that keeps track of what I'm doing. I usually do four days of aerobics and three of weight training or yoga/Pilates. I have a mini trampoline I jump on while watching my shows. It really is fun and I don't get bored. I have yoga and Pilates apps with my meditation ones. I also have a morning ritual to get my blood flowing. 30 jumping Jacks, 25 crunches, 25 lunges and 10 push-ups. Then after dinner I walk my neighborhood to digest my food. I hate to excercise but my family has high blood pressure and heart problems so I make myself. I maintain my weight this way too since I love bread and pasta. I've been consistently the same weight except during my pregnancies. After I turned thirty I amped up my cardio to 45 minutes instead of thirty due to stuff I had read about slowing metabolism. You can do it. If you can meditate everyday, which I struggle with, you can move your booty.

I LOVE bread and pasta and will never give up either.

I'm in my 40's and my metabolism has also slowed so I carry around about five more pounds then I should. If I continue working out I'll lose the weight quick but once I slack off it'll come back. Consistency is key which I need to watch.

• Author
Cindy:

STAY MOTIVATED -- CALL ME

I'll tell you each day

GET UP GIRL!!!!

hey princess

look up Crossfit WOD's

workouts of the day

look for the body weight ones

they are a blast -- get the cardio part and fitness all in one

give them a try

AND KEEP GOING PRINCESS!

LOL!!! Post here everyday and give me a shout it will totally work ;) I'll look up CrossFit.

BTW - I don't workout in my Ball-gown...much.

Edited by Cinder_ella
  • Author
I lost motivation due to health issues, and problems at home, but I used to exercise using DVDs, when I wasn't on the treadmill. There used to be a sitec alled Video Fitness - not sure if it's still there. I liked The Firm, Cathe Friedrich, Tracie Long and Fitprime (from The Firm), etc.

I'll check out the site.

Why don't you give meditation a try? Breathing exercises relax the mind and may help your health issues.

• Author
I need to grow a butt so I'm doing Jen Selter's workouts on the days I'm not working. But distraction is everywhere!

To keep myself motivated, all I need to do is look at my rear in the mirror and... sigh... :(

I will email you some of my butt. My husband loves it but I don't mind sharing.

Thanks for the link. I am recently on a upswing in my weight and need to get back to exercising.

• Like 1
hasaquestion

Hah. Being the huge nerd I am I've put a lot of effort into a cheap home workout setup.

For me the stuff you have to invest in is:

*door frame pull-up bar

*dip stand

*medicine ball

Then for weights, get some and a 2 gallon bottle. Water weighs 1 g/mL. So 3/5 of a gallon is 5 lbs, 6/5 is 10 lbs, etc. So you can do everything weighted.

By rolling the medicine ball under you you can do dips at a lot of different angles to hit different spots.

There's definitely potential to turn the 2 gallon bottles into kettlebells, although I haven't really messed around with that.

I've been trying to get my hands on some of those huge water cooler tanks. Farmer's walk with that sounds like it would be a great workout.

If anyone has ideas how to simulate heavy squats without a rack that would be cool.

thefooloftheyear
Hah. Being the huge nerd I am I've put a lot of effort into a cheap home workout setup.

*door frame pull-up bar

*dip stand

*medicine ball

Then for weights, get some and a 2 gallon bottle. Water weighs 1 g/mL. So 3/5 of a gallon is 5 lbs, 6/5 is 10 lbs, etc. So you can do everything weighted.

By rolling the medicine ball under you you can do dips at a lot of different angles to hit different spots.

There's definitely potential to turn the 2 gallon bottles into kettlebells, although I haven't really messed around with that.

I've been trying to get my hands on some of those huge water cooler tanks. Farmer's walk with that sounds like it would be a great workout.

If anyone has ideas how to simulate heavy squats without a rack that would be cool.

Find a friend with a 3/4 or 1 ton 4WD pickup and push it up a slight incline....Just make sure someone is in the truck in case it starts rolling back on you...

:laugh:

TFY

• Author

*door frame pull-up bar

*dip stand

*medicine ball

If I could get my husband to use the pull up bar I'd definitively have one installed. But there is no way I'm going to use it and I'll just wind up hanging the semi-dry laundry on it. I might get the 10 lb weights but I'm really focusing on the long lean muscle look.

• Like 1