LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management

Working Out @ Home


Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management Staying fit and physically healthy is essential! Remember, we aren't subsitutes for your physician! As always, talk to your doctor before following any suggestions or advice!

Like Tree38Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2014, 4:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Castle
Posts: 48
Working Out @ Home

I just ended my gym membership because I found myself making up great excuses for not going and therefore, didn't go.

So now I'm taking out workout DVD's from the library and scanning youtube for great free uploads. I found a great site:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/v...lf_id=0&view=0

Working out at home now is new so I'm motivated and exploring all the fun workouts. I'm worried that I'll lose motivation after the novelty wears off.

How do you keep motivated?
Cinder_ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 7:24 PM   #2
Established Member
 
thefooloftheyear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,999
I dug up an old photo of when I was 17 years old...I got a cheap cement filled plastic weight set from Sears the previous Christmas...Damn...For a 17 year old kid with only 8 months training at home, I looked pretty jacked..!!

It can be done...You dont need a lot of fancy equipment...But you still need dedication and will..Obviously other factors such as diet are important...

My advice is get some mats and hunt Craigslist for some used weights...You dont need much, but I think you will need to do some weight training if you want to achieve your goals..

YMMV

Good Luck.

TFY
__________________
"If all you do is what you’ve always done, all you will get is what you always got.”
thefooloftheyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 9:40 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Castle
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefooloftheyear View Post
I dug up an old photo of when I was 17 years old...I got a cheap cement filled plastic weight set from Sears the previous Christmas...Damn...For a 17 year old kid with only 8 months training at home, I looked pretty jacked..!!

It can be done...You dont need a lot of fancy equipment...But you still need dedication and will..Obviously other factors such as diet are important...

My advice is get some mats and hunt Craigslist for some used weights...You dont need much, but I think you will need to do some weight training if you want to achieve your goals..

YMMV

Good Luck.

TFY
I have five pound weights and two pound weights and a yoga mat. I think that's all the equipment I'll need. The youtube videos are helpful and fun - now. I'm just worried I'll get bored and stop after a couple of weeks.
Cinder_ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 6,368
-Perserevere. Change workouts every six weeks. Concentrate on daily habits.
Slumps happen, push thru.
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,364
The novelty will always wear off. Working out at home becomes....working out at home. Just something you do. How to keep up the motivation? Well....that's the tricky part.


How do I keep motivated? I tell myself I don't want to end up like my parents. I like eating crazy stuff and drinking beer now and then. It makes me feel good. It keeps me from being bored sometimes during the week. I have several different things I can think of all the time to keep me motivated. I have my weight training days. I have my yoga days. I take a dance class every now and then. So I do change it up.


I like what Tayla says about the habits. I made exercise a habit, a way of life. I'm not crazy about it, but it's something I do, and I never give up just because I'd rather stay at home on the couch.


Best of luck in your new home work out, OP!!
deathandtaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 7:08 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Castle
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandtaxes View Post
The novelty will always wear off. Working out at home becomes....working out at home. Just something you do. How to keep up the motivation? Well....that's the tricky part.


How do I keep motivated? I tell myself I don't want to end up like my parents. I like eating crazy stuff and drinking beer now and then. It makes me feel good. It keeps me from being bored sometimes during the week. I have several different things I can think of all the time to keep me motivated. I have my weight training days. I have my yoga days. I take a dance class every now and then. So I do change it up.


I like what Tayla says about the habits. I made exercise a habit, a way of life. I'm not crazy about it, but it's something I do, and I never give up just because I'd rather stay at home on the couch.


Best of luck in your new home work out, OP!!
I need to follow both your's and Tayla's advice. I meditate everyday without a problem but that's a lot easier than working out. I might put myself on a schedule and see how I do.
Cinder_ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 7:16 AM   #7
Established Member
 
PegNosePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 9,295
The trick is to find something that you enjoy. Weights, treadmills, spinning, swimming, aerobics classes, jogging round the park, zumba, hiking, indoor climbing... there are plenty of choices these days. If you enjoy it, you will want to do it. And even if you don't feel like it one day, you can tell yourself you'll enjoy it when you get going. If your exercise is a drag then you won't be motivated. So best plan to keep motivated is to find something you enjoy doing and keeps you fit.
__________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
-- Douglas Adams
PegNosePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 7:30 AM   #8
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 14,702
i miss walking.....i really enjoy putting on my headphones and walking at night to my pier......i am really frustrated that i cant now i have this block happening blocking em from walking...someone got attacked on my pier...and i found him.....i have this voice going your next......adn its the only time i really enjoyed fitness i would and can walk for hours at night because i love the silence and the violet shadows....and the night lights.....and i am left alone...just have afeeling my luck is running out....and it is frustrating me....so i made a decision iam reclaiming my night again.......i am going.....i dont want to take my rottie because she is so goofy when she walks but i will......its a logn hike for her...and this tiem i wont stop.....walking....i have this drive to be fit.,......i have to get over the block...and tomorrow night i will...as my rottie snores as i write this..i am buying new headphones tomorrow.....

if you have done this before you can do it again......do what you love and increase as you get fitter change it up and cross train....include different elements and always dance....dance works all your muscles...and its freaking fun..drink three litres of water a day always........deb........
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 8:22 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Castle
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
i miss walking.....i really enjoy putting on my headphones and walking at night to my pier......i am really frustrated that i cant now i have this block happening blocking em from walking...someone got attacked on my pier...and i found him.....i have this voice going your next......adn its the only time i really enjoyed fitness i would and can walk for hours at night because i love the silence and the violet shadows....and the night lights.....and i am left alone...just have afeeling my luck is running out....and it is frustrating me....so i made a decision iam reclaiming my night again.......i am going.....i dont want to take my rottie because she is so goofy when she walks but i will......its a logn hike for her...and this tiem i wont stop.....walking....i have this drive to be fit.,......i have to get over the block...and tomorrow night i will...as my rottie snores as i write this..i am buying new headphones tomorrow.....

if you have done this before you can do it again......do what you love and increase as you get fitter change it up and cross train....include different elements and always dance....dance works all your muscles...and its freaking fun..drink three litres of water a day always........deb........
I know you like walking in nature but you do need to be aware there are nut jobs out there who could traumatize you for good.

The youtube videos are really good, free and plentiful. I already did a few of them this morning and it was fun and easy. It's amazing how not having to leave the house to go to the gym makes working out much more pleasurable. Here's the link again. See what you can find. Don't put yourself in harms way.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/v...lf_id=0&view=0
Cinder_ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 8:27 AM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 595
I've got a road bike, and I like exploring so I tend to go out on the bike and explore!
Harradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 8:33 AM   #11
Established Member
 
todreaminblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: down under
Posts: 14,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder_ella View Post
I know you like walking in nature but you do need to be aware there are nut jobs out there who could traumatize you for good.

The youtube videos are really good, free and plentiful. I already did a few of them this morning and it was fun and easy. It's amazing how not having to leave the house to go to the gym makes working out much more pleasurable. Here's the link again. See what you can find. Don't put yourself in harms way.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/v...lf_id=0&view=0
i bought a rottie and have owned rotties for a reason so i can feel safe enough to walk at night......i feel like my attackers have won if they stop me from enjoying life.......and that makes em feel weak and more at risk...especially when i am unfit i cant fight like i can when i am fit i need to eb fit and i need to enjoy my life to be fit......my rottie is huge.....i wotn put myself in harms way if i get a vibe ill stay home i have been vibing really strongly......but i also am getting really depressed....i find inspiration with nature to write....to explore to touch to feel to be where i feel closest to god..... ...to be happy should i not be happy....and hidden behind four walls craving to be in part of the night.........ill be careful...thanks cinder ella i appreciate you.....ill be ok.........deb
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 10:05 AM   #12
Established Member
 
Thruster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Appalachian Mnts.
Posts: 144
Cindy:

STAY MOTIVATED -- CALL ME
I'll tell you each day

GET UP GIRL!!!!

hey princess

look up Crossfit WOD's
workouts of the day

look for the body weight ones

they are a blast -- get the cardio part and fitness all in one

give them a try

AND KEEP GOING PRINCESS!
__________________
Thruster is a Crossfit exercise -- Arghhhhhhhhhh - toss it up and put it down (smile all - -as long as we try - that is all that matters)
Thruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,747
I lost motivation due to health issues, and problems at home, but I used to exercise using DVDs, when I wasn't on the treadmill. There used to be a sitec alled Video Fitness - not sure if it's still there. I liked The Firm, Cathe Friedrich, Tracie Long and Fitprime (from The Firm), etc.
Anela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 10:19 AM   #14
Member
 
Snakechammah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 520
I need to grow a butt so I'm doing Jen Selter's workouts on the days I'm not working. But distraction is everywhere!

To keep myself motivated, all I need to do is look at my rear in the mirror and... sigh...
Snakechammah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 10:19 AM   #15
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 978
I also found some great apps for my iPad that keeps track of what I'm doing. I usually do four days of aerobics and three of weight training or yoga/Pilates. I have a mini trampoline I jump on while watching my shows. It really is fun and I don't get bored. I have yoga and Pilates apps with my meditation ones. I also have a morning ritual to get my blood flowing. 30 jumping Jacks, 25 crunches, 25 lunges and 10 push-ups. Then after dinner I walk my neighborhood to digest my food. I hate to excercise but my family has high blood pressure and heart problems so I make myself. I maintain my weight this way too since I love bread and pasta. I've been consistently the same weight except during my pregnancies. After I turned thirty I amped up my cardio to 45 minutes instead of thirty due to stuff I had read about slowing metabolism. You can do it. If you can meditate everyday, which I struggle with, you can move your booty.
Smilecharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lies about working from home bab Business and Professional Relationships 9 13th July 2006 11:26 AM
Working from home BeFree Business and Professional Relationships 5 11th May 2006 11:22 PM
Working From Home. dprelz Business and Professional Relationships 12 8th April 2006 6:55 PM
Working from Home Stone Business and Professional Relationships 8 27th March 2004 2:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:50 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2018 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.