Fighting with hair that grow under skin

I don’t know how to fight with this problem. I shave epilate or wax doesn’t matter. I always get few to grow under skin and make big red spots on my legs. Any advice?

DerangedAngel

When Shaving:

Make sure the hair on your legs has been wet for around 5-8 minutes. When the hair is wet and full of moisture, it can be cut easily. If you shave too soon, the hair is strong and tough, and it will be pulled up from the follicle. When the hair retracts and begins to grow back, you run the risk of it becoming "ingrown" forming ugly, itchy bumps.

Do not stretch the skin too taught. Result: hair cut too short.

Shaving in the direction of hair growth is usually advised, but not always necessary. I certainly don't do it, and rarely get bumps. But it's something you might want to try. Also, avoid repeatedly going over the same area. Result: hair cut too short, and then becoming ingrown.

Maybe try some tea tree oil in your bath water, or after your shower. It works much better than products only advertised to prevent ingrown hairs. It should kill any infection and prevents bumps from popping up all over your legs. Might burn a bit.

If you choose to Wax:

The best thing you can do is exfoliate the area (wait at least 24 hours! Trust me) and wear loose fighting clothes while you're freshly waxed. This should prevent irritation and ingrown hairs. Try the tea tree oil this way, too.

The only other thing I could really suggest is electrolysis, if you've got the money for it. It is quite painful, and not guaranteed. Unfortunately.

Good luck.

-Deranged

• Author

Wow Deranged you are a real angel. :) Thank you. Today I got two big hurting ones. One I was able to get the hair out but the other is so still hurting. Had to wear pans this hot day! :rolleyes: Looks so bad and is very big. :mad:

If you shave too soon, the hair is strong and tough, and it will be pulled up from the follicle. When the hair retracts and begins to grow back, you run the risk of it becoming "ingrown" forming ugly, itchy bumps. Do not stretch the skin too taught. Result: hair cut too short.

Oh but I like it really soft so I stretch and stretch! I used to epilate before for years there was no such problem. Now with age skin became too sensitive? :confused:

I get all red spots when saving, especially the bikini zone. :sick: Does tanning make the skin stronger?

Maybe try some tea tree oil in your bath water, or after your shower. It works much well than products only advertised to prevent ingrown hairs. It should kill any infection and prevents bumps from popping up all over your legs. Might burn a bit.

I will try a tea tree oil. Where do I need to look for it?

What do you use to exfoliate?

The bumps I get can stay for months before I manage to take the hair out. Mom says I am going to get a cancer one day if I keep pressing them. I know it is not good but wait I need to get this one out…Will be right back. LOL

The only other thing I could really suggest is electrolysis, if you've got the money for it. It is quite painful, and not guaranteed. Unfortunately.

I know a girl who spent lot of money on it. When I saw her legs I thought I would never do it. She had more then I have now!

Maybe I’ll try it once. Is very time consuming?

Anyone was successful to remove hair permanently?

DerangedAngel

Hello, Anais. Not an angel, but an esthetician! :)

I'm sorry you're having to fight off these bumps, they can be a real pain. Especially on days we're wanting to show our legs off.

Now with age skin became too sensitive?

It's possible that your skin has become more sensitive, but I couldn't really give you a definite answer as to why without seeing you. Lots of people find that their skin is less sensitive with age.

This is all just general advice. You might want to find an esthetician in your area for a consultation if it's getting worse, or you simply can't find anything that works.

I get all red spots when saving, especially the bikini zone.

Most women I have talked to about ingrown hairs/razor bumps say that this is their problem area as well. Again, what I would recommend is that you allow your 'bikini zone' to get some air. Wear loose fitting clothing, and certainly cotton undies (better to not wear them at all immeditiately after). Tea Tree Oil (found at Wal-Mart, pharmacies, health food stores) is the very best thing that I have found. I apply it with a couple of cotton balls after shaving/waxing myself and others anywhere and have no problem.

Does tanning make the skin stronger?

I don't think that's the route you want to go, but to answer your question, it will make your skin "tougher".

What do you use to exfoliate?

Well, the best inexpensive product (in my opinion) is St. Ives' Apricot Scrub. It comes in regular, medicated, and they have one for sensitive skin. You can find it at Wal-Mart, or a pharmacy. Clinique also has some good body scrubs, though a little more expensive. If you're looking to buy through a salon or spa, their esthetician can point you towards a top of the line product for your skin type.

Or, if you'd rather, you can make your own by taking a granular substance such as salt, sugar, coffee, oatmeal, or flax seeds and mixing it with a moisturizer (though this is always optional, and you should only try it after the ingrown hairs are under control) like jojoba oil, olive oil, safflower oil. Even vegetable oil. However, I would suggest that you do not use baby oil.

If you have taken care of the bumps and decide you want some extra moisture but don't like the feel of oil on your skin, dip a loofah into the oil, then your granular substance, and massage the skin. This way only a small amount of oil will be left on your skin, and it will still be an effective moisturizer.

If you would like more details on how to make your own body scrubs to moisturize, purify, clarify, or detoxify your skin, just PM me.

The bumps I get can stay for months before I manage to take the hair out.

This is understandable as they are becoming infected. If tea tree oil doesn't turn out to be a product that will prevent razor bumps for you, it will definitely keep them from lasting so long. Also, it will heal the ones you already have.

When I saw her legs I thought I would never do it. She had more then I have now!

Lots of people find that their skin gets extremely irritated after electrolysis. The only plus side is, if your hair eventually stops growing (sometimes takes several treatments), that will be the last of the irritation and the last of the hair. Electrolysis can do serious damage to your skin. Do not buy any kit that is sold sell on TV/the WWW and try to do it yourself. If you decide it is right for you, get your butt to a licensed esthetician and make sure it's done right.

Is very time consuming?

It is time consuming, expensive, and painful. I hate doing it for anyone, and prefer that they use it as a last resort.

Anyone was successful to remove hair permanently?

Some, yes. But there is no guarantee. Anyone that offers you one is full of s***.

-Deranged

• Author
Hello, Anais. Not an angel, but an esthetician! :)

It is almost the same! :)

Thanks this is really helpful.

The bump I have became so big that I think it is a mosquitoes bite. I had similar on my neck few days before.

I will try all you said, also will see esthetician. (A new word for me today ;) ). Maybe the next person walk in to the place you work is me. :D

I checked this laser hair removal. It is really expensive but is it at least guaranteed.? Wow I imagine no shave needs anymore. I is worth of spending money. How many hours in years we spend on shaving? And the discomfort of cuts :sick: …I am a bit concerned if it causes serious damage to the skin or? :confused:

Wish I had met Deranged when I was racing bikes and shaving my legs. My girlfriend wouldn't have approved. At least not until she saw my legs.

• Author
Originally posted by johan

Wish I had met Deranged when I was racing bikes and shaving my legs. My girlfriend wouldn't have approved. At least not until she saw my legs.

Hum? ?? :confused: Need some background to understand. :)

DerangedAngel
I checked this laser hair removal. It is really expensive but is it at least guaranteed?

No, it is not guaranteed. Don't go to any esthetician that claims that it is.

It is worth of spending money.

It's only worth it if it works. I've known few people that were completely satisfied with electrolysis.

I am a bit concerned if it causes serious damage to the skin.

This is why it is very important that you don't try it at home. There is always a risk of permanent scarring, pitting, or burning of the skin. Which is even more unsightly than the razor bumps you're dealing with.

If you do go to a licensed esthetician for electrolysis, there is going to be some minor scabbing in even the most successful sessions. They should explain all of this to you, but don't freak out. If done correctly, it should heal without any scarring. The skin may be extremely tender, swollen, and red. That's normal as well.

Also, one treatment is not going to be enough! Keep that in mind while deciding if you want to have it done. Your esthetician should be able to give you an estimate of how many sessions you will need, but it won't be exact. You might end up spending more money than you originally planned.

-Deranged

• Author

Thanks Deranged! :)

I guess I am not ready right now for all that anguish. Exfoliating helps lot. Before I would spend more time at the beach every year. Sand, salty water and sun were making my skin better. Oh well, also getting old!