How do you help yourself fall asleep?

YellowLioness

My boyfriend is having some major problems getting to sleep, and it's killing me. Do you all have any suggestions about how to combat insomnia?

She's Come Undone

Ambien is working pretty well for me. I find that if I have something on my mind I get insomnia pretty bad.

HokeyReligions

My friends, Jack or Jim, help me fall asleep. Or, if you prefer the military type, ask Captain Morgan.

I'm w/Hokey

1shot Jack- 1tsp sugar- heat in microwave for 1min

sound gross but it will knock your a$$ out

• Author
YellowLioness

:laugh: Wow, Hokey... that is a beautiful response! Military type... OMG...lol.

Undone... is that stuff addictive? Also... how do you feel when you wake up? Refreshed or still tired?

Faye... Even with the sugar in it? Lol. Also, how did you find out about that sleep recipe? Is it one of those home grown ones?

It's a big girl hot toddy.

The sugar makes the alcohol hit quicker and the warmth tucks you in. You really aren't drinking much at all so the hangover rate is really minimized.

She's Come Undone

I haven't found it addictive yet. It really helps me to not have so many crazy, damn dreams.

I always wake up exhausted, so I can't really tell. ;)

:bunny:

It also relaxes your chest so you can breathe easier. Great for allergies, asthmatic tension, bronchitis, etc...

• Author
YellowLioness

Yeah, I am constantly tired, too, Undone.. Wil tosses and turns and it's just a mess. He's up and down all night. He has crazy dreams all the time too (he dreams that he is in some type of regiment fighting for his life, and he is constantly saving this other guy). Course, our ghosts don't help the matter, but that's another thread. :-P

Hmm... I learn something new everytime I get on LS. lol. I've never heard the term, "Hot Toddy," before. lol. Thanks Faye. I actually think I'll have him try that tonight. Sh*t, couldn't hurt. Alcohol is the one thing we haven't tried.

Hot milk doesn't work...hot tea...back rubs...

We've tried hot tea, lots of exercise, smoking less (smoking is bad for sleeping, as your body has a harder time getting into REM because of the reduction of oxygen...)

I'd hang him upside down by his toenails if I thought it would help. :-P

She's Come Undone

Has he thought about a sleep study?

How about talking to a therapist? Maybe he has something on his mind that's causing him anxiety.

Great for sleepy time, breathing probs, and hangovers

1 cup hot tea (I recommend decaf)

dollop honey, scosh of milk, and shot of whisky- Jameson's is my fave

Save the bed for nighttime rituals only...sleeping and sex. No reading or watching TV. Your body programs itself to want to fall asleep when you get in it if that's all you go while you are in it. Go to bed at the same time each night. No food or caffeinated beverages two hours prior to sleep time. Make your room dark and cool. Avoid constant changes in the bed (a bunch of pillows). Avoid stimulation prior to sleepy time. Relax and lay still. I'm so lucky, I fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow

• Author
YellowLioness

Sleep study? Can you give more info? I think that would be very interesting....

Therapist... that's a good idea. lol. We definately have those here... like lawyers, a dime a dozen. Wil's not into the whole therapy thing. He got involved with a therapist who messed with his mind... It was religous therapy, and now he thinks they are all bad.

She's Come Undone

Do a search on the internet for "Sleeping Disorders." Maybe something will jump out at you. There are several disorders that can severely impede your night-time sleep.

• Author
YellowLioness

Yeah, Brandy, you are lucky. (sticks out tongue in a joking manor). We usually go to be with in an hour of 11:30 p.m. every night. I'm not sure if an hour makes a difference or not... We put on our air conditioner, as well, so it stays pretty cool in there.

I can't sleep at all when it's hot. :sick:

Yeah, the pillows do seem to be a bit of a problem. They DO get everywhere and it's easy to end up with a neck cramp if you sleep with lots of 'em. I think that maybe I'll get rid of some of them them tonight.

I also think I'm going to stick our sheets, pillow cases, and comforter in the wash. We haven't washed them for a week and a half. I don't think that's too bad, but maybe the fresh smell would be relaxing.

Has any one heard that lavender as a scent is beneficial to sleep?

Hrmm... those are lots of little problems that I hadn't even considered. There is alot that goes into sleeping... wow.

Maybe a hot bath or shower before bed would help relax muscles...

By the way, thanks for the recipe, Faye. I think Wil will be definately inclined to try that one.

Originally posted by YellowLioness

Yeah, Brandy, you are lucky. (sticks out tongue in a joking manor).

Sorry, I failed to mention that after a sleep study, I was diagnosed with a form of narcolepsy. LOL, sorry about that. That helps to go to sleep!

I sleep walk too. AND that sucks like a mofo. That's a whole other thread in it's own!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Author
YellowLioness

Wow, girlie... you sleep walk AND you have narcolepsy? That is a H*ll of a combo. I used to sleep walk into my mom's room at night when I was scared of something. I used to sleep walk over the house, actually. One time I (for some strange reason) turned on a faucet and it poured out alllllllll night. That was some trouble.

As I got older, I eventually stopped. A doctor told me one time that it was because I was unconsiously trying to escape from something bad in my life.

odd, huh?

My best friend would KILL me

When we were little she would sleep walk to random places, drop panties and pee! 2 most embarassing- we had a slumber party at another friends house and she walked into ou friends older brother's (of course a total hottie) rm and peed in his trash can.

Another time-At that SAME HOUSE!- she crawled into our friends parents bed and peed w/them in it.

Her doc said it had something to do w/puberty but she was SO mortified. Luckily we were mature enough not to mention it or give her any crap and as far as I know our friends bro never mentioned it either.

• Author
YellowLioness

Wow... that's all I have to say to that. lol. Where I live, that would ruin a person for life. lol. ;-) She was lucky to be around people who easily let things go.

Have you tried Melatonin yet?

You can find this natural supplement in any health store (GNC) or grocery store shelf that sells vitamins and herbal supplements. It's the same natural occurring chemical found in turkey and other poultry meats…which is why many people go into "food comas" after that Thanksgiving meal.

It was recommended to me by a dietician and weight trainer. At first I was skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked (for me). It didn't make me feel "drowsy"…but I fell asleep much sooner, and while I'm usually a very light sleeper (wake up even if someone breaths too loud)…I slept deeply and woke up refreshed instead of groggy.

Also, cutting down on the caffeine and sugars will really help if you consume a lot of coffee, sodas, teas and sweets. A lot of those appetite suppressants and weight loss pills can also rev you up too high.

http://www.melatonin.com/melatonin-faq.htm#WHAT

Hot choc before bed. And/or an orgasm :)

A caution - no matter how benign the supplement, it's still worthwhile double-checking any medicine - 'natural' or not - with a pharmacist or your physician, especially if you're taking anything else.

• Author
YellowLioness

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about when I saw posts on the sleeping supplements. The Melatonin sounds safe enough, but I've heard that most sleeping pills reduce the ammount of time a person gets of REM.

On another note, Faye, the hot toddy works. He was out like a light and did not snore. It was amazing.