Mr Scorpio

As I draw closer to graduation, my work load is going to increase such that I'll only be able to lift twice per week. I'm contemplating doing two full-body workouts with two days of rest inbetween.

However, I'm concerned with whether or not my body will be able to recover, as well as whether or not I'd make it thru the entire workout (assuming deadlifts, squats, bench-press, shoulder-press, lat-pulldown, preacher curls, and dips).

Given my goal (shed fat and gain strength on the way to absville), would I be better to go 2x full-body or split it and work each body-part only once per week?

• Like 1

If you only have 2 days per week to train, I'd definitely go with full body.

Probably something like squat, overhead press, pull ups, tris, abs on day 1, deadlift, bench, rows, bis, abs on day 2. If it were me, I would stick with the same movements for 3-4 weeks in a row, then rotate to other similar movements: for example: do back squat for 3 weeks, then switch to a wider stance (or narrower stance) for a few weeks, or front squat, etc. Conventional deadlift 3 weeks, then sumo for 3 weeks. Flat barbell bench for 3 weeks, then dumbbell incline press for 3 weeks. Etc.

You also might consider doing a 5x5 on your main movements (squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift), and consider any rowing, ab work, and arm work to be "assistance" work, where you basically just do what you feel like you need to do to correct your weaknesses or feel swole. :p

I just think you'll make a lot more progress this way than you would doing "arm day", then "leg day", then "chest day", etc. and basically waiting a week or more between training each group. If you aren't recovering from full body sessions well enough, you might consider doing 1 lower body day per week (squats, deadlifts) and 1 upper body day per week (bench/rows/arms), but I wouldn't split it down further than that.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 3

And on the opposing side, there's Hokie, who would recommend that with two days per week to train, he'd definitely go with biceps on day 1 and triceps on day 2.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

I also have only 2 days a week to go to the gym so I do full body. I have definitely gained quite a bit of muscle. As for feeling sore, first few weeks will be tough but it gets easier.

P.S. I do 5x5 on the main muscle groups and then I do "fun" lifting, whatever I feel like doing on the day...I am usually there for an hour total, with only 5 mins of cardio to warm up.

Edited by Eternal Sunshine
  • Like 1
skydiveaddict

We learned a high intensity, two days a week routine from some navy eod guys. the push and pull. Day one is push. Any exercise which involves pushing. Bench press, squats; triceps extensions calf raises etc. Day two was pulls.Any exercise which involved pulling:Curls, chin ups, ham curls, chest flyes etc. It works well

• Like 2
  • Author
Mr Scorpio
And on the opposing side, there's Hokie, who would recommend that with two days per week to train, he'd definitely go with biceps on day 1 and triceps on day 2.

If I can squeeze in a third day, should it be front delt or rear?

Just curious why you only have time for 2 days? Just asking because a decent full body workout would take like 2 hours or more where as if you split you can get a decent one in 45 minutes if you give'r.

This is how all the swole bros do it. (So I've heard)

• Like 1
If I can squeeze in a third day, should it be front delt or rear?

Right calf.

[...]

Just my humble opinion.

I think people are also more likely to stick with this kind of training since it's more interesting than sticking with one body part per day. I know I don't go about these things in a 'scientific' way but I'm still amazed that guys who are not particularly strong or fit still leave the gym without doing any core work :eek: so that's just chest and arms... and that's it ...

• Author
Mr Scorpio
Just curious why you only have time for 2 days? Just asking because a decent full body workout would take like 2 hours or more where as if you split you can get a decent one in 45 minutes if you give'r.

Law school.

I hope to be able to complete a decent full body workout in around an hour. One exercise per body-part (chest, back, legs, shoulders, tri, bi) with 3-5 sets per means between 18-30 sets, with one minute-ish to rest inbetween sets. Seems doable. My main concern there is my cardio being able to keep up.

Edited by Mr Scorpio
Law school.

I hope to be able to complete a decent full body workout in around an hour. One exercise per body-part (chest, back, legs, shoulders, tri, bi) with 3-5 sets per means between 18-30 sets, with one minute-ish to rest inbetween sets. Seems doable. My main concern there is my cardio being able to keep up.

If you keep your rest periods down (a minute or less) in between each set, I think you'll find that your conditioning levels won't suffer too badly. If you throw some fast, high intensity "metabolic finishers" at the end of your sessions, that could help with conditioning as well.

• Like 2
  • Author
Mr Scorpio
If you keep your rest periods down (a minute or less) in between each set, I think you'll find that your conditioning levels won't suffer too badly. If you throw some fast, high intensity "metabolic finishers" at the end of your sessions, that could help with conditioning as well.

I hope so. I'm yet to reach the point where I stop a given set because of muscular failure, rather than cardiovascular failure. Makes me wonder where the line is between a good workout and over-training. I lift near my max, do some stripping sets at the end, and I could still go back and crank out more sets if I had more time.

If you throw some fast, high intensity "metabolic finishers" at the end of your sessions, that could help with conditioning as well.

This is why I do hill running intervals. I hate the bloody thing but outside boxing this is the best thing that keeps my VO2max in decent shape.

• Like 1

If you're going full beast mode on all your other exercises, you shouldn't even need to focus on training your biceps/triceps separately.

• Like 1
If you're going full beast mode on all your other exercises, you shouldn't even need to focus on training your biceps/triceps separately.

Hokie trains like a girl

• Like 1
Law school.

If I were you, I'd keep workouts short (45 min max) and do three of them a week.

I'd do:

- RDL

- Squat

- Bench Press

Clearly humor was lost somewhere along the way... :confused:

But seriously though, your arms won't get "big" without specific isolated training of those muscle groups. No amount of beast mode on other compound exercises will develop arms in the way most guys desire...

Hokie trains like a girl

I think all girls should train like me. :laugh:

• Like 1

I think all girls should train like me. :laugh:

If all girls trained like you a lot of men would start feeling somewhat insecure in the gym all of a sudden. :D

• Like 1
  • Author
Mr Scorpio
If I were you, I'd keep workouts short (45 min max) and do three of them a week.

I'd do:

- RDL

- Squat

- Bench Press

No shoulders?! I could see no arms, but no shoulders? Surely you jest!

Star Gazer

Probably something like squat, overhead press, pull ups, tris, abs on day 1, deadlift, bench, rows, bis, abs on day 2. If it were me, I would stick with the same movements for 3-4 weeks in a row, then rotate to other similar movements: for example: do back squat for 3 weeks, then switch to a wider stance (or narrower stance) for a few weeks, or front squat, etc. Conventional deadlift 3 weeks, then sumo for 3 weeks. Flat barbell bench for 3 weeks, then dumbbell incline press for 3 weeks. Etc.

You also might consider doing a 5x5 on your main movements (squat, bench, overhead press, deadlift), and consider any rowing, ab work, and arm work to be "assistance" work, where you basically just do what you feel like you need to do to correct your weaknesses or feel swole. :p

I just think you'll make a lot more progress this way than you would doing "arm day", then "leg day", then "chest day", etc. and basically waiting a week or more between training each group. If you aren't recovering from full body sessions well enough, you might consider doing 1 lower body day per week (squats, deadlifts) and 1 upper body day per week (bench/rows/arms), but I wouldn't split it down further than that.

Just my humble opinion.

:love::love::love:

Star Gazer
Law school.

What?! I was a total gym rat in law school, as were most of my friends - and I was on moot court, law review, and mock trial all at the same time. I had a tiny little hard body from all the work I did in the gym. I spent a little less time there while studying for the Bar, but still went at least 4x a week. I still joke about wishing I was still in law school for that very reason. You have LESS time once you're a young associate - don't slack now!!

Seriously, how do you figure you only have time for two workouts a week?

:confused:

• Like 1
What?! I was a total gym rat in law school, as were most of my friends - and I was on moot court, law review, and mock trial all at the same time. I had a tiny little hard body from all the work I did in the gym. I spent a little less time there while studying for the Bar, but still went at least 4x a week. I still joke about wishing I was still in law school for that very reason. You have LESS time once you're a young associate - don't slack now!!

I also peaked in my golf game during law school...

• Like 1
  • Author
Mr Scorpio

This term I have 13 credits, which equates to 14 hours in-class. Add reading and outlining and I'm around 20. Then comes studying for the bar exam and MPRE, and I'm at 30. Add on a 20 hour work-week and I'm at 50. Then comes guitar practice, which takes 5-7 hours. Add on about 10 hours that I spend with a widowed parent. Then add 2 hours for the days I want to run and not lift. I also try to squeeze in at least one networking lunch per week, which is anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on the commute. There is also shopping, cooking, laundry, dishes, commuting to and from work/school, internet, and lastly sleep.

Once I take the bar, I'll have plenty of time to spend working out rather than worrying about how I'm going to pay my student loans. :sick:

Star Gazer
Once I take the bar, I'll have plenty of time to spend working out rather than worrying about how I'm going to pay my student loans. :sick:

What does that mean? You're not going to work?

As for the rest, you don't study for the Bar Exam and MPRE until you're DONE with law school. It's other studying for law school exams, OR the Bar... Not both at the same time.

I had just as busy a life as you claim to have now, and still managed to get to the gym almost every day. Your priorities are different, I guess.

Edited by Star Gazer