Lack of motivation to lose weight and keep it off. Help!

Emily55555
:( Hi i recently lost 10 lbs, and ive gained it all back. I don't have any motivation anymore, and i look at everyone around me and theyre eating whatever they want and staying skinny, so i eat too, and im gaining weight. As well i used to work out everyday.. but most of my motivation was when i had a guy to impress but now that i dont like anyone enough. I did do it for myself for a while but cravings just overcome that now. I don't know what to do anymore i wanna lose that 10 lbs and keep it off! What can I do? :(

It might be helpful if you get some books or magazines to read for inspiration. Try looking for an online fitness site and try working together a little support group for yourself. Then start slow. Say you don't want to go to the gym but say to yourself, "well, I don't feel like going to the gym but I have to start today so I'm going to walk around the block a couple times." Once you get going it isn't so bad, ya know? So just play mental tricks on yourself. Take a photo of yourself in your swimsuit and post it on your mirror or write out a goal of being able to run some certain distance by such-and-such day.

You can still eat anything you want, just don't eat more calories then your body is burning off. It's takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound. If you need 2500 calories to maintain your weight and you eat 1500 calories a day, you'll have 1,000 calories left over everyday. By day 4 you should have lost a little over a pound. Definitely keep up with some form of exercise as that will burn more calories and you'll lose more weight.

Best of luck to you!

Sounds like you are a little depressed.

Do some inspiring things and that may help you feel free to do boring things.

• 2 weeks later...
Unlucky In Love

I know how it feels when you've gone through the diet cycle. Have you tried reading any of the diet books? Like Dr. Phil, Atkins, or South Beach. They really work.

Why isn't exercise an option? Do you have a physical limitation? Maybe you should join a group to help yourself get out of the rut.

For me, there's nothing like taking long walks, hiking with friends, or just doing something to get myself motivated.

If nothing else works, you should talk to your doctor about getting some pills...

corrinebean

Cheer up! :D

Here's my story....All through high school I was a "normal" weight (although I always thought I needed to lose 15-20 pounds...sigh...now I just want to get back to the weight I was then, and I'd be happy!! :D)...after high school I quit the crappy minimum-wage job where I was running around on my feet 6-8 hours a day...and I gained about 35 pounds (the "Freshman 15" and then some!).

I came home from my first semester, and was EXTREMELY depressed...so I went on the Atkin's Diet, and lost about 35 pounds within 4 months...it was great...but then I couldn't stick to the diet, and I gained it all back.

Last summer, I met a girl in one of my classes that was into running. I started joining her one day a week on a 3.7 mile nice walk around the lake. (One more little regress. I've NEVER EVER EVER been into working out, going to the gym, or any other type of physical fitness AT ALL....let alone running!).

Last November, I decided to join Team In Training..a group that trains people for marathons and half-marathons to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (http://www.teamintraining.org). Again..never a runner, walker, or any other type of athlete out there. My intention was to do a walking half-marathon....but as luck would have it, they didn't offer that for the winter season, adn so I signed up for a running full marathon (26.2 miles). I completed it in March with a time of 6 hours 21 minutes, and I have continued my running a few days a week ever since them, and am absolutely loving it now. I never thought I'd see the day I'd like working out!

You need to find something that you like (even if you have to force yourself into an activity initially) and do it for yourself! Now I run to wake up at the end of the day, relieve stress, and think... :D Good luck. (sorry for the long reply!)