Muscle building for the physically unfit.

Broli2001122

[font=century gothic][/font][color=red][/color] Okay I am 14 years old and weigh 200 pounds I am also just over six foot. I am not greatly fat but I don't have much muscle or stomach just dense bones. How do I buil muscle?

My guess is that you've got some excellent genetics at work here at 14 years, 200 lbs and over 6 feet.

There is no such thing as "Dense Bones," so another guess is that you've inaccurately weighed yourself.

Sad thing about 14 year olds (I know hundreds of you) is they are notoriously inaccurate.

Anyway, I'm confidant that you're still growing, and that hormones will not allow you to gain much muscle weight because your metabolism is in "high gear." Contrary to popular belief, greater muscle building is done with HIT (high intensity training) combined with LOTS OF REST (low metabolism).

If you really want to prepare yourself to gain when your phyiologically ready, begin practicing good training techniques, e.g. perfect form with curls, squats, etc. You'll need light weights and someone who knows what they're doing to watch and give constructive critism.

Resist the urge to lift more and spend money on ANY supplements.

Do not take hormones.

• Author
Broli2001122

Okay firtly, I have been weighing myself for over 4 monthes now I am a 213 pounds according to my pediatrician. I do not lift weights and no I do not have a fast metabolism and puberty on the physical side ended about a year ago. It's solid emotion.

Puberty for you ended when you were 13?

Let me ask you, Broli, what are the telltale signs that puberty (on the physical side) is over?

At this rate you'll be middle aged by 17.

We are not talking dog years here are we?

• Author
Broli2001122

No but I hit puberty at 8 years old for some odd reason. If you can tell me what the end of physical puberty is I am sure i can verify for you.

I don't think weights are all you should be thinking about. Getting interested in some kind of aerobic activity will pay off big time for you. It appears you don't really need to worry about getting bigger. Cycling or running or soccer or hiking or some other kind of sustained activity will change your body for the better and much more noticably. Not only that but developing good workout habits at your age along with good eating habits will set you up to be much healthier for the rest of your life.

Weights and strength are also important, but 14 is still a little young to be worried about that. I'd wait a few years.

Not only that but lifting weights does very little for your overall health. You'll still have all the fat you have now, plus some additional muscle that won't really be visible. And you'll still be feeding oxygen to both using the same little heart and lungs you have now. Lifting weights actually does build heart muscle mass, especially if you do legs. But the volume of the chambers and of your entire cardiovascular system won't change much. You'll find yourself out of breath more and you won't feel as good.

Sustained aerobic exercise will benefit you both in terms of cardiovascular health and muscle development. You will be working your muscles, plus you'll be building lung capacity and cardiovascular volume. The overall effect will be that you will slim down some, your muscles will emerge, and you will be able to do more physical activity without resting. If you build your aerobic fitness prior to starting weights you'll be a lot more comfortable lifting weights. You'll feel stronger initially and you'll gain strength faster.

Mind you, I am no doctor. This is information I've gained from college courses and from several years racing bicycles.

I recommend starting out doing 20 to 30 minutes at a pace at which you can still talk three or four days a week. If you are disciplined and limit both your pace and duration, you will naturally increase both over time and you will notice a difference in your body within a couple of weeks. Chances are some muscles will start to become visible that you didn't know you had.

Think "better", not just "bigger".