In the wake of Adam Lanza, I have many questions about this disorder and am trying to research it online but not sure what information is credible. And I am finding precious little about how it is treated and managed.

Among the questions that bug me the most - is there a link or not between autism (or Asperger's) and violence? If there is no link (as many autism experts claim) then why am I all of a sudden seeing moms of autistic sons speaking out that they're afraid of their adult sons because they're threatening violence against them?

Does anybody out there have information and/or personal experience with autism or Asperger's?

Also, I read this article today written by a CNN staffer who has Asperger's:

I have Asperger's; I am just like you - CNN.com

I thought he gave some really sound advice that could apply to just about anybody for living a healthy life - learn social behavior from a mentor; teach yourself coordination by taking up a sport; make efforts to socialize; accept yourself; leverage your strengths; etc. He seems to be doing really well - married, working, running his own household. So does this mean that Asperger's or even autism is a treatable or even curable condition? And why did this guy succeed and Adam Lanza didn't?

And why did this guy succeed and Adam Lanza didn't?

For starters, the guy has money seeing as he works at CNN and is holding down a job, he's older and has confidence, respect in the field he works in, and probably has a lot of support, can afford counseling, meds etc if he's on meds.

Two different ages, upbringing, location, lifestyle, parentings splitting up, sounds like Adam's mom was on her own and no father in the picture (unless i'm wrong about this, i don't recall seeing much about the dad) .

I know many people who have austic children, I know a few adults as well. No violence, nothing like Adam. My friends son has Aspergers, he's not showing any signs of violence, never has and does do counseling to learn how to cope better and has learning behaviour therapy too.

Pretty sure Adam was depressed and bi polar as well, possibly schizophrenic, he's at the right age to be diagnosed with that disease too.

then why am I all of a sudden seeing moms of autistic sons speaking out that they're afraid of their adult sons because they're threatening violence against them?

Wow, I've not seen this, I'll have to google it. Wonder if there are other mental health issues going on other than autism, maybe the parents are unaware of.

[qutoe=OpenBook]If there is no link (as many autism experts claim) then why am I all of a sudden seeing moms of autistic sons speaking out that they're afraid of their adult sons because they're threatening violence against them?

Because these stories sell. News and media outlets seeks these rare cases because they draw in a large audience after last week's events. The media acts as if the idea of Aspergers and Autism like one would look at Streptococcus Meningitis. The latter being fairly identical in multiple cases, while Autism between people is like comparing apples and a car tire. The media plays off the public stupidity.

• Like 2

There's nothing more I can add to that article you posted really. As an autistic person myself with both a diagnosis for High Functioning Autism AND Asperger's Syndrome, that's pretty much what you have to do.

However, I have since been in close proximity to a large number of people with the same disorder and frankly there is absolutely no link between violence and autism. The root lies in the co-morbid disorders, as well as the ability of the parents to discipline their children.

• Like 1

I'm autistic, as above, no link between violence and children. I guess its more immaturity rather then the condition affecting it.

But talking of curing, I used to be high functioning but I "improved" to the point where now no one can tell if I'm autistic unless they are in psychology, have siblings/friends with autism or if I tell them (I don't tend to tell people, I hate telling because I don't want people to treat me differently.) Weirdly though my ex girlfriend figured it out within a few days of us going out.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you SO SO MUCH for responding! Your insight helps tremendously. Your comments raise more questions in my mind, please if you (or anyone) could clarify -

(1) Do you think autism/Asperger's is curable? Is it an achievable goal to one day finally be rid of the disorder? Or do you believe it's a lifelong challenge?

(2) Do all autism/Asperger's sufferers wrestle with impulse control and self-discipline? More specifically, do you experience fits of anger and/or murderous thoughts that you have to stifle? Is that part of the condition?

(3) Is "lack of empathy" one of the signs of autism/Asperger's?

(4) Is paranoia one of the signs of autism/Asperger's?

(5) Do all autism/Asperger's sufferers struggle to differentiate fantasy (e.g., video games) from reality?

All of these questions lead to one loaded question that I CANNNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME STOP THINKING ABOUT:

(6) Why did you turn out OK, but Adam Lanza didn't?

Also, can you tell me what are credible sources of information about autism that I can explore? Should I be paying more attention to Jenny McCarthy's campaign against mercury in children's vaccination shots causing autism? What about a dairy-free/gluten-free diet - does that help?

(1) Do you think autism/Asperger's is curable? Is it an achievable goal to one day finally be rid of the disorder? Or do you believe it's a lifelong challenge?

I personally "improved", but I suppose it depends on how high functioning the person is and what the disorder actually does.

(2) Do all autism/Asperger's sufferers wrestle with impulse control and self-discipline? More specifically, do you experience fits of anger and/or murderous thoughts that you have to stifle? Is that part of the condition?

Nope, I had the typical kid tantrums but never had problems with control etc. I did judo at an early age, so I learnt discipline and control but I never had any issues. But when you're little anything sets you off! I wouldn't say impulse control or self discipline is part of autism personally from my experience.

I always found it hard to tell what other people are feeling and if my actions offended them, I struggle in that respect, I find it hard to put myself in other people's shoes. I don't know whether its a trait but I'm only relating this to my difficulties.

I personally am a bit paranoid, I "smell a rat" very easily. I've found that I notice even the smallest of changes, so as soon as I see that change I instantly get thinking about why that happened and start making links between things quickly.

(5) Do all autism/Asperger's sufferers struggle to differentiate fantasy (e.g., video games) from reality?

I played games etc, but I was fine differentiating between the two.

All of these questions lead to one loaded question that I CANNNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME STOP THINKING ABOUT:

I can't answer that one!

Also, can you tell me what are credible sources of information about autism that I can explore?

The National Autistic Society - | autism | Asperger syndrome |

Should I be paying more attention to Jenny McCarthy's campaign against mercury in children's vaccination shots causing autism? What about a dairy-free/gluten-free diet - does that help?

I personally think its a lot of rubbish, but my parents believed the MMR/autism link scare as I never had that jab.

• Like 2
Thank you SO SO MUCH for responding! Your insight helps tremendously. Your comments raise more questions in my mind, please if you (or anyone) could clarify -

Not a problem ;)

It is a lifelong challenge. I have the tics, the obsessions, the stimming and even the occasional meltdown (none of which involve violence against people :laugh:). It is part of the package unfortunately - but educating myself about it and becoming more emotionally aware helps me keep it under control. It doesn't go away, but it gets much much easier.

Fits of loud, shouty anger, yes. It is better out than in, otherwise it seethes. As for murderous thoughts, I won't lie that I have thought about violence, mostly of having to defend myself from being attacked or defending innocent people. As such, I never have problems controlling this. Having said that, it's not part of the condition - of the other autistic people I have met, there are many who are perfectly sweet individuals - the thought of murder probably would never occur to them, strangely enough. Those are the kind who need protecting in my opinion.

Actually I do not think this is the case! I used to be on an Aspergers/Autism forum as well as speaking with them in real life on a regular basis at one point - and at least half pointed out that they felt very strongly linked to the emotions of others, and simply it was not understanding those emotions rather than not feeling it, and not being able to adequately process and interpret them. Lack of emotional understanding and maturity they called it.

If anything, I think that while some have a lack of empathy, there are quite a few who probably have too much empathy :laugh:. As I've gotten older, I've become more empathetic and understanding of emotions than ever, even though I was before.

I don't think so - there are those who are paranoid or unsure of the motives of others, but there are also those who simply aren't that bothered about that :laugh:. It's possible that medication may make them paranoid - or if they, like me, were marijuana smokers (I never suffered from paranoia while smoking, but some people do).

I think that some with Aspergers struggle to embrace the real world the way they embrace their fantasies - I don't think it's a struggle to differentiate. I think it's more of an escape for them, it provides an outlet they may feel they cannot get in real life. I loved TV, I constantly escaped watching shows and movies, and occasionally video games. I also escaped with composing music and writing though, so I was able to create as a means of escape whenever I could not cope. As I've gotten older, I've become aware of this and made more of an effort to ground myself in life rather than float away in my own head - even though it's difficult. This will vary for people with autism.

He was crazy. He lived in a house with weapons lying around, he was on medication that may have altered his state and also had co-morbid disorders that posed a problem to his already autistic brain. He was mismanaged in my opinion, and likely didn't have the self-awareness to deal with this. It's unfortunate and it happens occasionally in some autistic people, even a few that I know. I turned out OK because I didn't take medication, and I had a mother who was determined not to make me a special case and unwittingly put me in an environment where despite having problems I was forced to adapt in order to fit in, something that despite having lots of friends I was never able to do.

Also, can you tell me what are credible sources of information about autism that I can explore? Should I be paying more attention to Jenny McCarthy's campaign against mercury in children's vaccination shots causing autism? What about a dairy-free/gluten-free diet - does that help?

Wrong Planet - Autism Community

A forum - you will get not only information from there, but accounts of real life from all types of people with autism and aspergers.

Regarding mercury - my mother believes it was caused by the MMR jab. I'm not so sure, I wouldn't rule it out, but I believe that it runs in both sides of my family. As for diet, I think that diets affect people differently independent of neurological disorders such as Autism. My diet consists of a lot of dairy and gluten and it hasn't affected me too badly. I should probably have a slightly better diet (I do love my fruit and veg though :D).

Hope that helped. Harradin's post was also excellent.

• Like 1