Complicated1112

Hi All,

I hope some people can provide some advice for me.

I had been fit, regularly exercised 6 days a week, I was a regular in weight lifting classes, spinning etc. I was usually at the gym first thing in the morning.

Then 2 months ago I had to move to a different country.

During temporary accommodation, I didn't have access to my old routine. I couldn't prepare my meal so I ate out a lot.

Now I have moved to a permanent housing and just got my stuff.

I stepped on my scale and I gained 10+ lbs. My legs and arm muscles are still lean, so all those 10+ went to my belly. I'm a petite woman so it's a big deal.

I joined a gym this week. I can still do one hour moderate-hard cardio, but my belly weight is hurting my back.

My questions:

Is it normal to gain this much weight in such a short period of time? I didn't think I ever really pigged out.

Why everything went to my belly? Could this be a disorder?

What's the best way to get back to my old me?

Thank you in advance!

I joined a gym this week. I can still do one hour moderate-hard cardio, but my belly weight is hurting my back.

My questions:

Is it normal to gain this much weight in such a short period of time? I didn't think I ever really pigged out.

Why everything went to my belly? Could this be a disorder?

What's the best way to get back to my old me?

Thank you in advance!

My weight would go to my belly and my middle in general if I allowed it, it's your shape, it's not a disorder. You are apple shaped.

Some people put weight on really easily, you said you ate out a lot, it's all the crap they put in your food in the places where you ate.

What is the moderate-hard cardio? Why does it hurt your back? It shouldn't unless your technique is really out.

The best way to lose belly fat/fat from the middle is interval training (alternating between running hard and walking) and any kind of weight training or calisthenics that involve your core. Especially recommend squats, deadlifts and shoulder (military) presses. They work your core like crazy as well as you butt, legs and arms (so your training is balanced too).

The above would give you a decent body in 3 months if done intensively enough.

I did 1hr spinning class. It was more difficult with extra bulge in the middle.

Thanks, Emilia.

Oh I see

Have you done weighttraining before?

Yup. I did body pump for 4 years.

Cool. If that was done with lighter weight (that's what I've seen in gym classes) this time heavy works best. ie what is heavy for you and where you feel your core being worked.

Also from what I've seen in gyms is that a lot of people spend inordinate amount of time there doing a million different things while really a handful of lifts would suffice. But I'm basing this on strength training, not body building ie I train with compound lifts, rather than focus on muscle isolation.

• Like 1

You are very welcome :D

Can't give you advice on your diet though except to say that it pays to eat clean. You need protein, carbs and fat to give your body fuel and to keep your joints well oiled - ie no 'low fat' stuff as it's high in sugar, etc. You also know about having different colour vegetables on your plate and all that lot.

I can't give you more specific advice as I eat anything that moves :) though none of it is processed (as per keeping it clean) and I cook every day.

Deadlift will give you excellent posture because it works your back, lower back, hamstrings, glutes like nothing else does so you get that thrown in too.

Good luck! :)

The belly fat has became a major problem for many of the people these days irrespective of their ages.One of the main causes for this is Junk food. The solution which I suggests for this is to do much work that equals to the intake of food we take. The junk food has to be avoided and the food that contains proteins, vitamins, nutrients and other necessary supplements should be recommended more. There is a need to do exercises daily.

Hi Complicated 1112,

Not much more to say as Emilia has it all covered!

Assuming you don't suffer any hormonal imbalances (i.e menopause) then the gain is probably due to your body type.

When it comes to fat, the belly is the weakest link and accumulation often starts there and is also the last place you lose it from.

In terms of exercise, I agree with Emilia, you'll need to increase 'intensity' in your workouts. It doesn't necessarily have to be heavy weight, just heavy enough to tire you out on one set (then simply do 3 sets in quick succession).

Diet and Nutrition are a bit more complicated, however, I believe you'll get more of your success from this than from exercise. Something along the lines pf the pareto principle i.e you'll lose 80% of the fat through good diet and 20% through exercise.

I personally found this out when I realised that despite hitting the gym hard I was still accumulating belly fat. I train hard to build strength and muscle but my belly continues to bulge.

Conclusion? My diet. My goal for 2012/2013 is to get six pack abs and everything I've studied on the subject points to nutrition as a strong factor.

As you seem to have been okay before your break, I believe your diet was fine, however, now that you've accumulated that belly fat you'll need to adjust until you get back to your previous level.

Again Emilia shared some good tips i.e focusing more on protein, watching carb and sugar intake e.t.c. I'd also suggest figuring out your metabolic type (just search the web for resources). That way you'll know for sure which foods you should be eating!

• Like 1
  • Author
Complicated1112

Thanks, LennyJ. Curious, do you know now what's your metabolic type?

My diet was really bad the last month, so this makes sense. Being in a new country I wanted to try everything and recently I found out most of the things here are loaded with sugar.

Six packs abs could be our common goal.

I did 1hr spinning class. It was more difficult with extra bulge in the middle.

Thanks, Emilia.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Short, intense sprints are a much better way to burn fat than 1 hour of cardio. Not to mention that they are far less boring.

Thanks, LennyJ. Curious, do you know now what's your metabolic type?

My diet was really bad the last month, so this makes sense. Being in a new country I wanted to try everything and recently I found out most of the things here are loaded with sugar.

Six packs abs could be our common goal.

Hey C1112. I'm a protein type.

About sugar, I was gobsmacked to find something as simple as a banana has around 21g of sugar. Heck, even a small cup of sliced tomatoes has 5g of sugar.

There's already so much sugar in regular foods that there's simply no need for added sugar in anything. Unfortunately I was brought up with sugar so it's really difficult going without, but the battle continues ...

• 3 weeks later...

Stay motivated regarding your health and fitness. Eat healthy diet, Avoid the intake of tea or coffee with sugar. Drink more water instead of any diet soda. Drink water between bites. Adopt cardiovascular fitness routine.

Edited by Welson
  • 2 weeks later...

Simple stuff. You need to stop counting calories... and start counting carbs. I grew up in crazy shape with 8-pack abs... well let's just say it had now been a few years since I've had that. BUT, after my recent breakup I made getting back my "abs" my goal.

I got in awesome shape. Hit the gym nearly every day. My work out would be a solid hour of resistance (weight) training followed by 35 minutes of running. My muscle mass increased. My lung capacity and breathing got amazing. I felt good.... But no change to my abs. AND I worked my core nearly everyday! WTH!!

Carbs. That was the answer. I did like the poster above suggested and started really paying attention to exactly how many carbs I was consuming. It's crazy how much are in the simplest of things... That hot dog? maybe a gram, add the bun and bang your over 26 grams. You get the idea.

I cut out carbs and switched to a high protein diet. My abs are Back!! It's all about the insulin and it's effects on your body chemistry:

Didn't read all the responses, so apologies if someone already suggested what i'm about to:

Pilates. Since you already have back issues i would recommend basic exercises where you isolate your abs and spare your back/shoulder/neck muscles.

• Author
Complicated1112

I tried mat Pilates class once but couldn't do anything right. Any suggestion where to start? I'm not very 'bendy' and have a hard time to even do simple sit up.

I tried mat Pilates class once but couldn't do anything right. Any suggestion where to start? I'm not very 'bendy' and have a hard time to even do simple sit up.

it will take more than one class, or even a full course, to get your posture right:)

i would say it took me a few months to get to the point where i felt like my breathing/posture was correct.

start with basic exercises - most will concentrate on breathing and stretching. don't do sit ups, they don't do much good and can damage your spine...there are a lot of tutorials on youtube, or you can go to a physio and ask them to suggest exercises to start with (which is the way i started). once you have the control and can confidently complete a basic set, start introducing the more challenging techniques.

being 'bendy' will come in time! i am now more flexible than i've ever been in my life, but it took a while to get there !

all the best, keep us posted :)

You need a couple of private lessons to learn proper form for Pilates or you could hurt yourself. I have a few Pilates DVDs and gave up because I didn't really know what I was doing. I can't afford to have a private lesson but that is on my wishlist for the future. Then I will use my DVDs as followup.

You might look on youtube for tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey if you want to reduce your belly fat just but an organic honey and cinnamon powder. Use it in the morning before 30 minutes before breakfast. Take warm warm mix half tablespoon of cinnamon and one tablespoon of honey. Drink it daily I reduced 50 lbs. You fan also search on google cinnamon is best for weight lose.

• Author
Complicated1112

Just came across with some information regarding intermittent fasting. Anybody had success experience getting rid of belly fat with this method?

Chief Wiggum
Just came across with some information regarding intermittent fasting. Anybody had success experience getting rid of belly fat with this method?

Intermittent fasting, combined with exercise, is very effective in helping you lose weight. That should in part contribute to a reduction in your belly fat, but nothing more than what your old routine would do. You've got nothing to worry about. 2 months with no exercise and careless eating, can easily put 10 pounds on some people. And those first few sessions getting back into things, are always difficult. Just keep at it enough to get back where you were. There are plenty of exercises -- when done at maximum intensity -- that'll help tackle the belly without you having to do a single sit up.

According to recent research, water and green tea is the best way to lose your weight. I took 8 to 12 glasses of water gradually and 2 to 3 times cup of tea in a day. And now i feel much difference in my weight.