Health Insurance (USA)

Hi everyone,

Can anyone enlighten me about health insurances in the US?

I had watched the movie "The Third Wheel" time ago, where the main character hit a homeless guy with his car, then he takes him to some hospital and I guess he covers the expenses with his own insurance.

So I'm just wondering if a US citizen can cover health costs (like emergency) with his own insurance coverage for someone else. It'd be for a short time, like a week.

What do you think?

Thanks.

I don't think so. The person would have to be included in your plan.

Like a "family plan" which defines the family members insured, your deductibles etc. Maybe you can include someone in your "plan" for a certain period of time for a higher premium, but not a random stranger.

• Author
Maybe you can include someone in your "plan" for a certain period of time for a higher premium, but not a random stranger.
Ok. So do you think it's possible?

If you have health insurance through your employer, ie you're part of their group plan, it will not be possible to just include someone else just like that. And if you are insured directly with an insurance company, which is expensive as hell, and you want to add someone, it will be super-expensive as hell. It's not going to be any cheaper than taking out your own health insurance for that period. So if they give it to you, you'll pay. They will do it for sure if they can make a profit.

• Author
I would recommend that you get a personal plan along with the group policy.
I can get a sort of plan as a tourist for a limited time. But what I was wondering and is not clear yet is if I can be included in a US citizen's plan (a friend). He said only family members can be included, or partner for gay couples, but proof must be supplied that they are living together.

I'm not entirely sure it's like that. That would exclude straight de facto couples.

I had watched the movie "The Third Wheel" time ago, where the main character hit a homeless guy with his car, then he takes him to some hospital and I guess he covers the expenses with his own insurance.

This is the crucial part that no one else is mentioning. His CAR INSURANCE could cover the person he hit; not his own, personal health insurance which cannot cover another person unless they are listed on his policy for some reason (i.e., family member).

But what I was wondering and is not clear yet is if I can be included in a US citizen's plan (a friend). He said only family members can be included, or partner for gay couples, but proof must be supplied that they are living together.

I'm not entirely sure it's like that.

Yes, this is true. You cannot be listed on a friend's policy. Only family members. Even some "partners for gay couples" have difficulty and have to jump through a lot of loopholes to be put on another person's policy.

I do know of some instances personally where, prior to local hospitals requiring photo ID, a person used another's health insurance card to obtain services, being admitted under that name instead of their own.

Emergency services in my area will not deny anyone treatment, but they will seek to be paid by someone. If the recipient is indigent or lacks insurance, it'll go to the state for payment and/or collections.

I was self-insured for about 20 years and started buying insurance after getting married.

Generally, members listed on the policy is governed by the policy/insurer. Often, there are rules about cooling-off/pre-existing conditions, etc. None pertain to actually obtaining treatment, but rather to coverage for paying for that treatment.

Proceed with caution.

• Author
This is the crucial part that no one else is mentioning. His CAR INSURANCE could cover the person he hit; not his own, personal health insurance which cannot cover another person unless they are listed on his policy for some reason (i.e., family member).
Yeah, that seems like it.

Yes, this is true. You cannot be listed on a friend's policy. Only family members. Even some "partners for gay couples" have difficulty and have to jump through a lot of loopholes to be put on another person's policy.
Ok. Thank you.