frozensprouts

I've had a rash on my face for about 6 or 7 seven months, and tried two different persecution creams for it ( fuscidin, and another that was a combination antibacterial, anti fungal steroid cream). The second one seemed to work, but when i stopped using it after the ten days as per the doctors instructions, the rash came back a bout three/fours days later and it was so much worse. ( spread everywhere)

I saw another doctor who prescribed doxycycline and another antibiotic cream ( micodinzanol- I think)...

That seemed to work, but I got the worst sunburn while taking the doxycycline( even though it was so foggy that I could hardly see my hand in front of my face and was wearing sunscreen). It also made me feel like crud and caused vertigo.

The the second doctor I saw said it was something called "peri oral dermatitis), and I'm wondering if anyone who has had this can give me some good advice on how to get rid of it ( i hate it...it's not life threatening, but I find it embarrassing to have a big red rash on my face)

I've had a rash on my face for about 6 or 7 seven months, and tried two different persecution creams for it ( fuscidin, and another that was a combination antibacterial, anti fungal steroid cream). The second one seemed to work, but when i stopped using it after the ten days as per the doctors instructions, the rash came back a bout three/fours days later and it was so much worse. ( spread everywhere)

I saw another doctor who prescribed doxycycline and another antibiotic cream ( micodinzanol- I think)...

That seemed to work, but I got the worst sunburn while taking the doxycycline( even though it was so foggy that I could hardly see my hand in front of my face and was wearing sunscreen). It also made me feel like crud and caused vertigo.

The the second doctor I saw said it was something called "peri oral dermatitis), and I'm wondering if anyone who has had this can give me some good advice on how to get rid of it ( i hate it...it's not life threatening, but I find it embarrassing to have a big red rash on my face)

Yes.

It may take several months for it to clear up completely, it's difficult to treat effectively. You may want to discuss with your doctor, use of a different antibiotic. Antibiotics should be used in short intervals, taking it too often and for too long can compromise your immune system and bacteria levels. Anti-inflammatory creams helped alleviate some of the symptoms, but antibiotics were the only thing that cleared it for me (I believe the one I used, was Tetracycline).

Anything you can do to lesson the chance of a break-out, should be incorporated into your daily regime, both lifestyle and environmental. Avoid cosmetics/toiletries that aren't non-comedogenic, cleansers containing soap, sunscreen, topical steroids, fluorinated toothpastes, lip gloss/lip balm.

For ongoing maintenance, I used Cetaphil to clean my face, and for moisturizer I was told to try Eucerin Calming Cream. Both worked favorably with my skin and recommended by a Dermatologist.

I've had recurring bouts of Rosacea and was diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis. I'd usually get a breakout once a year, the last occurence was several years ago. So, I'm considered in "remission".

Good luck and keep us posted!

Edit to add: I would avoid sunbathing until your symptoms have cleared. And, you do have to be careful with sunbathing in general, as the sun is a huge trigger for it.

Edited by snug.bunny