Exercise in lunch hour

I struggle to fit in time for running, and I have lunch breaks at work that I can't really use for anything constructive and work is an hour from home. It would be SO handy, 2 or 3 days a week to use my lunch for a run. The thing is there are no shower facilities and so I'd feel really manky for the remainder of the day I imagine. Ugh.

Has anyone overcome this obstacle? I don't know what suggestions I'm hoping for, to be honest! At my last place people exercised in their lunch hours (I never took my breaks back then) but there were proper bathroom facilities.

• Author
Run before or after work? no?

That's sort of my point. I could do that but I'm out of the house 10-11 hours for work so when I get in, do chores, post and bills, house viewings, cook dinner, etc; as much time left as possible belongs to my son - homework, leisure activities etc, carving out an hour during the week isn't ideal. The lunch break is totally dead time so it would be preferable to make it work for me.

Is there a gym nearby? You'd be able to shower if you worked out at a gym.

You could walk instead of run so that you don't get too sweaty. You won't burn as many calories, but something is better than nothing.

• Author
Is there a gym nearby? You'd be able to shower if you worked out at a gym.

You could walk instead of run so that you don't get too sweaty. You won't burn as many calories, but something is better than nothing.

I do walk sometimes but yes, I could try and find gym facilities for bike/treadmill/rowing as opposed to nothing. It's not what I'm after but I could certainly benefit from the training to complement the running. Thanks :)

If there is a gym nearby, could you join it just for the shower? Run outside, shower at gym, and then go back to work.

You could always use the gym equipment for a change of pace, or during inclement weather, but you don't actually have to use the equipment.

If you honestly no-sh*t can't get to a shower or don't have time to make arrangements for a shower, then do what we do: baby wipes. It'll get you clean enough to last you until you take a real shower when you get home.

• Like 1
  • Author

I've researched and the only one within the distance for me to drive, get 30mins and drive back is way too much for me to join. I'm broke right now since taking a massive pay cut for a less stressful job.

Baby wipes is looking like best option!! :confused: Maybe I'll try it on a 'quiet office day' (there's only 6 of us at HQ anyway) and see how I go...

Many thanks folks :)