Should I follow this in an attempt to get a kick ass body?

Eternal Sunshine

So I am at the point where I have dropped some weight and I would like to drop few more (like 10lbs) but more importantly, I want to tone up. I have been looking and bodybuilding.com and more specifically into their "HIIT regime, the cutting phase".

I am prepared to enforce self discipline and eat, take supplements and work out as they suggest.

Here is the link:

Bodybuilding.com - What Is The Best HIIT Workout?

Can anyone have a look and let me know if this sounds like a good thing to do??

Just sounds like too much work, headache, and tracking. I am sure it would be effective, but I am a firm believer in (1) lifting weights and (2) doing whatever cardio you enjoy. Nothing will give you better results than a solid weight training program. To burn calories, do something fun. In the summers I play volleyball, softball, tennis, and rollerblade, among other things, but those 4 every week. No way am I going to find ways to burn calories in the gym when I can do it with activities I love. Rollerblading burns like 700-800 calories an hour, it will smoke an HIIT hour.

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
Just sounds like too much work, headache, and tracking. I am sure it would be effective, but I am a firm believer in (1) lifting weights and (2) doing whatever cardio you enjoy. Nothing will give you better results than a solid weight training program. To burn calories, do something fun. In the summers I play volleyball, softball, tennis, and rollerblade, among other things, but those 4 every week. No way am I going to find ways to burn calories in the gym when I can do it with activities I love. Rollerblading burns like 700-800 calories an hour, it will smoke an HIIT hour.

I am a complete novice in this. I only really do cardio and don't lift.

They have a total body weight workout on the site and perhaps I should follow that.

How often should I lift? Is 3x per week enough?

You got any guy friends that are serious lifters? If not, you have the sand to go up to a built guy in the gym and say "would you mind helping me train"? Also, go get the book The Zone Diet, I tell this to everyone. For lifting, lemme see if I can find a good book I can recommend as well. I'll be back.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
You got any guy friends that are serious lifters? If not, you have the sand to go up to a built guy in the gym and say "would you mind helping me train"? Also, go get the book The Zone Diet, I tell this to everyone. For lifting, lemme see if I can find a good book I can recommend as well. I'll be back.

I have no guy friends that lift :( I MAY go up to a random guy in the gym but he may think that I am hitting on him lol.

I know there is a lot to it and I need to know how to lift properly. I also want to do weights as heavy as I can bear as I am aware that it's much harder to build muscle for females.

I had a personal trainer once but for 1, it was very pricy an 2, he focused on cardio and very light weights which in my opinion didn't do much.

I would very much appreciate any book recs :)

PM me the city you are in, and the gym you work out at. I will broadcast to my meathead forum buddies that I need a trainer in your area for a girl who doesn't need hit on ;) Yes, seriously.

• Like 2
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
PM me the city you are in, and the gym you work out at. I will broadcast to my meathead forum buddies that I need a trainer in your area for a girl who doesn't need hit on ;) Yes, seriously.

I am not in the US :(

You wouldn't have any buddies in Australia?

I thought u were UK? Doesn't matter where u are, I can probably find you someone, unless you are tiny city in middle of nowhere. If you are up for being trained by a highly qualified person, let me know i'll see if I can find u. I got a good rep on the online community and know people everywhere.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
I thought u were UK? Doesn't matter where u are, I can probably find you someone, unless you are tiny city in middle of nowhere. If you are up for being trained by a highly qualified person, let me know i'll see if I can find u. I got a good rep on the online community and know people everywhere.

Excellent. You got mail :cool:

I'll echo the sentiment that making your cardio something fun that you like to do is the way to go. If you enjoy doing something, you're much more likely to actually do it. While this seems like a completely obvious statement, it's amazing all of the people that do what they do "because that's the way things are done".

HIIT is efficient, to be sure. However, when done correctly, it's not all that much fun, especially if you're performing it in a "strict" environment such as with a gym timer or on a treadmill. That gets old quickly.

Sprints can be fun, especially if you have a buddy to race with. Pushing cars can be fun. Battle ropes can be fun.

My personal belief is that high intensity conditioning should be used as a training tool for increasing work capacity to augment your performance in other areas, not as a fat loss tool as it's so widely applied. Fat loss is better controlled through diet manipulation and increasing activity via activities that you enjoy doing every day.

Solid suggestions from fucpcg...

Hi ES.

I am a firm believer that you won't get a kick-ass body unless you lift. If fucpcg can't find a trainer in your area, I recommend starting with The New Rules of Lifting for Women. This book has several workouts you can choose from and, more importantly, discusses the how and why of lifting.

Personally, I am not a fan of HIIT. My body seems to like slower, steady state cardio, but cardio is really for heart health. The body comes from the combination of lifting and nutrition.

The New Rules of Lifting and Women's Health's Big Book of Workouts are good resources to start with.

I've been lifting since I was 15, but fell off the wagon with the running. I need to pick it back up. This inspired me. :)

I think you'll see amazing results after just a few weeks of lifting. Feel free to email me with any questions.

ES, you and I are similar ages. With age comes a need to be a bit more careful how we stress our bodies with physical exercise, particularly for women. Be careful with figurative feast and famine, spikes and drops style workouts. Rather than throwing everything into workouts intended for twenty year old men, once in shape, workout consistently. Consistent maintenance and healthy diets and portion control, is far less stressful.

Edited by threebyfate

I'm 42 and I train harder than I ever have in my life, and I used to compete as early as age 20. It's BS to say that you can't do what you did in your 20's at age 30. Real aging hasn't even hit me yet. It's not far away for me, I know this, but I'm still going strong. You are a kid at 30!

I'm 42 and I train harder than I ever have in my life, and I used to compete as early as age 20. It's BS to say that you can't do what you did in your 20's at age 30. Real aging hasn't even hit me yet. It's not far away for me, I know this, but I'm still going strong. You are a kid at 30!

Agree completely. I'm not even a year older than ES, and in the best shape of my life (even after my very athletic and gym-rat 20's).

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

Thanks guys. I also believe that lifting is THE key component to getting that harder body and I haven't been doing that. I already do cardio outdoors few times a week to clear my head :) so I will just keep going with it. What I will makes changes in is:

1. Nutrition, cleaning up my eating

2. Lifting :bunny:

I am on to reading the materials linked.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
The Ultimate Female Training Guide: Specific, Proven Methods to Get Lean And Sexy | SimplyShredded.com

Please read. I used to make all my female clients read this, before I accepted them.

We have shown that women do not need to train or diet much differently than men. Then why do we always see women in gym performing hours of cardio and lifting the lightest dumbbells in the gym for endless reps?

This is exactly what my personal trainer made me do years back! I saw such weak results that I gave up after 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

I found this really cool gym that's sports and aquatic center (swimming is actually my favorite form of cardio)..

I get 3 free personal training sessions when I join - I am going there in a couple of hours :)

I am just going to tell this PT dude "Listen, no cardio, no light weights, I want to do some serious lifting. Now show me how to use the machines" :bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
I PM'd you the right place for you, get back to me with whether or not it's a feasible location.

Just did ;)

BTW I walk by that place every day. That's the only 24 hour gym in the city. That's where all the hard core body builders train.

Edited by Eternal Sunshine

That's the right place then, the guy told me it was 24-7. I'll find out a name or names for you.

• Like 1