working out with an injury

about a month ago i tore my rotator cuff and it is healing up but i have very limited range of motion. it seems like there is hardly any upper body exercises i can do without hurting it.

i like doing yoga and weight training but any yoga poses or anything where you have to raise the arm overhead is painful.

anyone have any suggestions for some strength exercises i can do.

i suppose i could just train lower body until it is healed up

about a month ago i tore my rotator cuff and it is healing up but i have very limited range of motion. it seems like there is hardly any upper body exercises i can do without hurting it.

i like doing yoga and weight training but any yoga poses or anything where you have to raise the arm overhead is painful.

anyone have any suggestions for some strength exercises i can do.

i suppose i could just train lower body until it is healed up

Shoulder injuries are the absolute worst, as they pretty much halt any kind of workout regimen...and it's easy to get tempted into doing particular exercises that don't hurt "as much" when you aren't fully recovered...

It will depend on your particular fitness goals, but I might recommend starting a spinning regime...

• Author

I have been reading up on them and very surprised how long they take to heal up. months, it seems.

Yeah, rotator cuff injuries are the absolute worst. I've never had one, but know several people who have, and the biggest mistake you can make is trying to come back too soon after the injury because you WILL make it worse. Lay off anything that puts stress on the injury; you may even need help with housework or simple chores if the injury is really bad.

Resist the temptation to do any weight training or even yoga if it stresses the injury. Accept the fact that you're hurt and you have to heal.

• Author
Yeah, rotator cuff injuries are the absolute worst. I've never had one, but know several people who have, and the biggest mistake you can make is trying to come back too soon after the injury because you WILL make it worse. Lay off anything that puts stress on the injury; you may even need help with housework or simple chores if the injury is really bad.

Resist the temptation to do any weight training or even yoga if it stresses the injury. Accept the fact that you're hurt and you have to heal.

yes simple things like throwing the blanket on the bed or reaching behind to move a pillow hurts like heck.

the doctor said to just rest it and do some gentle physical therapy exercises.