Serious body issues lately... How to overcome them and feel good again?

paintedtree

Okay, sooo... I am only 27 and I pretty much cannot stand my physical body. I got very sick last May, and I spent several months on bed rest and crappy medication, which didn't make me feel any better.

But at the moment, I feel out of shape and old. I have a larger chest (32FF), and I feel like my breasts look incredibly "soft", and not in a great way, you know? Like, they definitely don't look like perky, hard breasts... like what you see in Playboy, for example.

Plus, I am just soft in general... Now, I am trying the gym again, but it's been a struggle with regards to my health (but I am still trying).

For reference, I am 5 foot 9, 150 lbs... 39-25-39, last I checked (but NOT toned). Just for my own mental sanity here, is this really awful or am I just lacking self confidence?? I have struggled with body issues from when I was a teen... anorexia and fluctuating weights and such.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.

I know how you feel!

Two months ago, I made myself go back to the gym. I was 5'2", 170lbs. Lazy, sh*t diet, overall lethargic and self conscious.

Bodybuilding.com - Weight Training For Beginners And Tips For The Rest Of Us!

This is the workout i do now. The lady who came up with it is a multi-issue playboy model, and the pioneer of at home pole dancing dvds. Super hot lady.

It's really hard to find a good workout program for women, since weights are mostly geared towards men.

I find light to moderate weight workouts to be more satisfying than cardio. You see more immediate results, and the tight muscle feeling afterwards immediately gives you a confidence boost :)

I usually go 3-4 nights a week. I'm down to about 142... but I've got 6 lbs worth of saline in my chest, so technically 136. LOL.

I know how you feel!

Two months ago, I made myself go back to the gym. I was 5'2", 170lbs. Lazy, sh*t diet, overall lethargic and self conscious.

Bodybuilding.com - Weight Training For Beginners And Tips For The Rest Of Us!

This is the workout i do now. The lady who came up with it is a multi-issue playboy model, and the pioneer of at home pole dancing dvds. Super hot lady.

It's really hard to find a good workout program for women, since weights are mostly geared towards men.

I find light to moderate weight workouts to be more satisfying than cardio. You see more immediate results, and the tight muscle feeling afterwards immediately gives you a confidence boost :)

I usually go 3-4 nights a week. I'm down to about 142... but I've got 6 lbs worth of saline in my chest, so technically 136. LOL.

Ladies need not be afraid of slinging heavy weights around with big compounds movements like squats, presses, rows, and deadlifts. The unfortunate reality of the fitness world is that the prevailing "conventional wisdom" (which is anything but wise) says that women should stick to light weights and cardio, and that lifting heavy weights will make women appear bulky and masculine.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Women do not produce enough natural testosterone to look masculine. Here's a good article on the subject:

http://jcdfitness.com/2011/08/attention-women-heres-proof-that-lifting-heavy-weights-will-not-make-you-big-and-bulky/

As far as advice on where to start lifting properly, it's unfortunately few and far between. Starting Strength is a very good resource for beginning lifters, both male and female alike. Another good resource you might check out is The New Rules of Lifting For Women. Depending on your goals, you can specialize your programming and diet, but it's good to know how to safely perform the basic lifts and understand basic programming and progression before branching out.

BTW, your bodyweight and measurements really don't mean much in terms of your body composition, so there's no way we can tell you how you look from just the numbers. In the end, it doesn't matter. The only thing you can do is try to be better tomorrow than you were today.

Ladies need not be afraid of slinging heavy weights around with big compounds movements like squats, presses, rows, and deadlifts. The unfortunate reality of the fitness world is that the prevailing "conventional wisdom" (which is anything but wise) says that women should stick to light weights and cardio, and that lifting heavy weights will make women appear bulky and masculine.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Women do not produce enough natural testosterone to look masculine. Here's a good article on the subjectQUOTE]

I'm just starting out, so I do light to moderate. Haven't gotten to the point where I can do heavy weights, and I'm afraid to hurt myself, to be honest.

Forever Silent

First of all, put down the PLAYBOY that garbage exists so it can make beautiful women such as yourself feel inadequate.

Secondly, start juicing. It is a life-saver. I personally use a NutraBlend and I juice once a day. If you would like further details, I would be glad to give you some.

Third, get rid of your process foods. SODAS,COOKIES,Cereals,etc.......those are deads foods and will not give your body the vital nutrients it craves four.

Also since you are blue you run the risk of consuming foods which give you the temporary but damaging sugar high.

Fourth, Excercise. If you do not have enough money to join a local gym, use your house and your neighborhood to get healthy.

Remeber, your first goal should be to be healthy, everything else will fall in place as your bodies become more balanced.

I'm just starting out, so I do light to moderate. Haven't gotten to the point where I can do heavy weights, and I'm afraid to hurt myself, to be honest.

It nees to be heavy according to YOUR abilities. Get some advice on this from trainers. Heavy is relative but it has to be heavy enough to do anything for you. Otherwise you will stay soft

This couldn't be further from the truth. Women do not produce enough natural testosterone to look masculine. Here's a good article on the subject:

Attention Ladies: Here’s PROOF that Lifting Heavy Weights will NOT make you Big and Bulky

As far as advice on where to start lifting properly, it's unfortunately few and far between. Starting Strength is a very good resource for beginning lifters, both male and female alike. Another good resource you might check out is The New Rules of Lifting For Women. Depending on your goals, you can specialize your programming and diet, but it's good to know how to safely perform the basic lifts and understand basic programming and progression before branching out.

BTW, your bodyweight and measurements really don't mean much in terms of your body composition, so there's no way we can tell you how you look from just the numbers. In the end, it doesn't matter. The only thing you can do is try to be better tomorrow than you were today.

Seconded.

Tman - why did you change your avi? :(

Seconded.

Tman - why did you change your avi? :(

Haha, I guess I didn't want to be part of the "shirtless guys on LS" club anymore. :o

Plus, Dr. Tobias Funke needs more awareness brought to himself. :lmao:

• Like 1

I'm just going to say for the record. Women know Playboy is a garbage magazine, just like any other. Lots of airbrushing, etc.

But seriously, the women are still beautiful (for the most part). There's a difference between admiring another beautiful woman, and within reason aspiring to look similar for one reason or another.... and allowing it to wear away at your self esteem because you don't look that way.

Perfect example: I have a curvy, hourglass figure. It would be unhealthy for me to look at fashion magazines, with stick figure models, and obsess about how I don't look like that. Go crazy and starve myself.

However, I do look at Marilyn Monroe, and say damn... what a hot lady. I wish I looked like that. And I say to myself, you know what? I have that body type, and if I worked out more I could look a lot like that.

So I went to the gym, and I'm glad I did. I keep a picture of Ms. Monroe as inspiration. When I feel lethargic, I say, you could be looking like that right now if you get off your butt :)

My husband says time and time again that he finds curvy women more attractive, because fashion models look like 12 year old boys (I agree). These men do exist! To be honest, I think there's more men that appreciate renaissance looking women than not. :)

I've conceded to myself that I will always be thick, and own it, and I look for curvy beautiful women as inspiration, no matter in what capacity.... Playboy, actress, or hot soccer mom at the grocery store in sweatpants. lol.

• Author
paintedtree
I'm just going to say for the record. Women know Playboy is a garbage magazine, just like any other. Lots of airbrushing, etc.

But seriously, the women are still beautiful (for the most part). There's a difference between admiring another beautiful woman, and within reason aspiring to look similar for one reason or another.... and allowing it to wear away at your self esteem because you don't look that way.

Perfect example: I have a curvy, hourglass figure. It would be unhealthy for me to look at fashion magazines, with stick figure models, and obsess about how I don't look like that. Go crazy and starve myself.

However, I do look at Marilyn Monroe, and say damn... what a hot lady. I wish I looked like that. And I say to myself, you know what? I have that body type, and if I worked out more I could look a lot like that.

So I went to the gym, and I'm glad I did. I keep a picture of Ms. Monroe as inspiration. When I feel lethargic, I say, you could be looking like that right now if you get off your butt :)

My husband says time and time again that he finds curvy women more attractive, because fashion models look like 12 year old boys (I agree). These men do exist! To be honest, I think there's more men that appreciate renaissance looking women than not. :)

I've conceded to myself that I will always be thick, and own it, and I look for curvy beautiful women as inspiration, no matter in what capacity.... Playboy, actress, or hot soccer mom at the grocery store in sweatpants. lol.

Hah, thanks Randomized. I think this is the issue that I have... I look at those stick thin girls in magazines, runways, etc... and think, "now why don't I look like that?" But I am like you, more curvaceous, and will likely never be that thin. Even when I am very thin I am not stick-like.

I need to learn how to own what I got.

Hah, thanks Randomized. I think this is the issue that I have... I look at those stick thin girls in magazines, runways, etc... and think, "now why don't I look like that?" But I am like you, more curvaceous, and will likely never be that thin. Even when I am very thin I am not stick-like.

I need to learn how to own what I got.

this is one of my favorite websites for clothes that look reeeaaaally good on our body type. Some of the stuff is a little pricey, but you can at least get a good jumping off point at cuts and styles that will look good on you :)

Pin Up Girl Clothing | Retro Clothing, Vintage Reproduction Fashions, Rockabilly Clothing and More! | Pinup Girl Clothing

While it's nice to be fit and attractive, why don't you just enjoy being a person with ideas, interests and friends, rather than spending your time worrying about what is an external shell? People won't remember you for how thin or toned you were but for what a decent person you were and how you made them feel. The one thing you have is your uniqueness. No-one else looks like you, talks like you or thinks and feels like you. That is what makes you special and attracts people to you. Focusing on body and trying to be like these fantasy women in magazines will not only make you unhappy but will dilute that individuality which makes you so special.

• Author
paintedtree
this is one of my favorite websites for clothes that look reeeaaaally good on our body type. Some of the stuff is a little pricey, but you can at least get a good jumping off point at cuts and styles that will look good on you :)

Pin Up Girl Clothing | Retro Clothing, Vintage Reproduction Fashions, Rockabilly Clothing and More! | Pinup Girl Clothing

I love the Audrey skirt, among other things. What a great site -- thanks!! :laugh:

• Author
paintedtree
While it's nice to be fit and attractive, why don't you just enjoy being a person with ideas, interests and friends, rather than spending your time worrying about what is an external shell? People won't remember you for how thin or toned you were but for what a decent person you were and how you made them feel. The one thing you have is your uniqueness. No-one else looks like you, talks like you or thinks and feels like you. That is what makes you special and attracts people to you. Focusing on body and trying to be like these fantasy women in magazines will not only make you unhappy but will dilute that individuality which makes you so special.

I totally agree with you, Spiderowl (and I like your name). And while I think that is solid advice, and true, too (though honestly, I do like who I am. My personality, my intelligence, etc).

But we can't deny that we live in a world that promotes certain body types, and sometimes women with different figures end up feeling out of place. I know I have issues with my body image.

That said, you're right about this... and it's good advice, and it's a nice nudge for me to care less about appearance and be a little less hard on myself.

I love the Audrey skirt, among other things. What a great site -- thanks!! :laugh:

I bought the bombshell one piece swimsuit last summer, in burgandy. LOVE it. It's like Spanx made a swimsuit. lol. Well worth the money. Extremely well made.

It's got some kind of super mesh that squeezes in your middle and smoothes everything out, even more so when wet (which i was suprised about, most suits get more flexible when in the water).

It's sexy without being too revealing. After losing some weight, I'm just now at a point where I'm getting to be ok with going out in a two piece.

RiverRunning

Maybe your body fat percentage is high. But given your height and weight, I don't think you really have a great deal of work to do. You may have 5, 10, 20 pounds of body fat you can dump. That's an achievable amount.

Start thinking of your body in practical terms rather than what it looks like. Is your waist circumference (around the belly button) less than 35 inches? Are your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels normal? These are to be celebrated and maintained. And they are MOST important.

Secondly, yeah, stop looking at Playboy. Check out My Body Gallery. You will see a wide range of bodies there. These are what your average, run-of-the-mill women look like (generally).