How to gain healthy weight if you're an ectomorph?

Hello

I've been an ectomorph my entire life (correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the type of people who have a hard time gaining weight) and so I've been skinny for a while. Up through college, I was as thin as a stick. I think I only weighed 115 pounds. Now I've gained almost 30 pounds since and look 'healthier' but then recently I started losing weight again and can't seem to get it back. My diet is very healthy. For example for breakfast I ate:

Brown Cow Natural Yogurt

Apple Slices

Cheerios

Skim Milk

Bananas

I also do some sort of exercise every day, whether it's running, push ups, weights, etc. I use weight machines at least three times a week.

My goal is to gain HEALTHY weight and muscle. Due to the nature of my build I don't think I'll ever have to worry about adding too much muscle (and I don't want to be ripped either), but I'm tired of people saying "you need to eat more." I think my body fat is around 12% and I wouldn't mind getting it lower if that means I can still gain weight though.

My diet is very healthy. For example for breakfast I ate:

Brown Cow Natural Yogurt

Apple Slices

Cheerios

Skim Milk

Bananas

You're not eating enough...

Have a nice omelet stuffed with lots of vegetables. Or keep it simple. I just have spinach and parmesan cheese with mine usually, because it's faster. I will either make it with two whole eggs or one whole egg and 1/3 cup of carton egg whites. Many people haven't gotten the memo that egg yolks are packed full of nutrients.

Make yourself a protein shake as a snack. I use vanilla Designer Whey from Trader Joe's, and today made it with their light coconut milk, fresh squeezed lime juice, avocado, honey and fresh mint leaves. It was delicious and filling on a hot day. Get creative!

Edited by FitChick

Go pickup a bunch of books on nutrition and bodybuilding. Do you really think you're gonna learn how to pack on quality pounds, something you can't hardly do your whole life, by a post in a dating site?

• Like 1

The body of the Ectomorph's will be little bit thin. The healthy body and maintenance of our body is especially depends upon the food we eat and also the amount of work we are performing with our body. The unrealistic weight loss is not a good practice for the health and also for the body, it leads to various health problems. The proper diet should be followed with out neglecting and the food that we eat must consists of proteins, carbohydrates and all nutrients required for our body.

Edited by alexedwen

You're an ectomorph! Embrace it! Eat whatever you want. Seriously. Just eat. One of advantages of being an ectomorph is that it's hard for us to gain weight (which can be a disadvantage if you want to bulk).

I don't mean go out and eat cake for every meal, but you don't need to be so picky. Rice, potatoes, pasta...eat, eat, eat!

Forever Silent
Go pickup a bunch of books on nutrition and bodybuilding. Do you really think you're gonna learn how to pack on quality pounds, something you can't hardly do your whole life, by a post in a dating site?

I concur with you, a dating site might not be the based place for this question to be answered. If you want member feedback there are alot of bodybuilding/nutritional forums that are dedicated to helping people with nutritional goals. If you want expert feedback then there are plenty of books and movies and such. However I tend to err on the spending money side so the forums is what I recommend lol.

I am not aware of my body-type but I do however do alot of expirementing with foods. Right now I am trying a smothie which involves chocalate, whey protein, milk, and walnuts, and sometimes some flax seed. It is a heavy shake but is a guranteeded weight gainer atleast for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Drink a twelve pack of beer everyday. TONS of calories there and they go down so smooooth........