Do squats actually make your butt bigger? I have doubts...

I have a pretty flat butt with very little fat. It seems that the only girls that benefit from squats are the ones who already are quite well-endowed but their butts are just flabby with no definition. So can the flat and fat-less butt girls get a nice buttocks from squats? If so, I need proof until I can believe it... So bring on the before and after pictures...

I have a pretty flat butt with very little fat. It seems that the only girls that benefit from squats are the ones who already are quite well-endowed but their butts are just flabby with no definition. So can the flat and fat-less butt girls get a nice buttocks from squats? If so, I need proof until I can believe it... So bring on the before and after pictures...

It sounds like you are an ectomorph. It's much harder to achieve a bigger/more muscular butt for you in that case because you probably struggle put weight on there. I'm similar although I tend towards mesomorph in some aspects. Don't have photos but I can confirm that squats and lifts have given my bum a much better shape. It's still small but it's not flat :)

futuregopher

Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe the girls that are getting the benefit because they've been doing it for months maybe even years? It'll take patience and hard work but squats will eventually get you there. Keep up the good work with the squats and you'll get there!!

• Like 1

Your butt is a muscle, it is called the "glute" for short. Your glute is heavily involved in squats and deadlifts, do those and ur glutes will grow.

• Like 1
  • Author
It sounds like you are an ectomorph. It's much harder to achieve a bigger/more muscular butt for you in that case because you probably struggle put weight on there. I'm similar although I tend towards mesomorph in some aspects. Don't have photos but I can confirm that squats and lifts have given my bum a much better shape. It's still small but it's not flat :)

I'm not sure. I thought ectomorphs had a hard time putting on muscle in general and were naturally lean due to fewer fat cells. I am pretty muscular as a girl, except for the arms + butt, and I have pretty big thighs. But, maybe you're right.

Yesterday I did 50 squats and felt absolutely nothing. And I've been properly trained how to do them correctly. Hmmm. Maybe I should bump it up to 100? Or is there one particular exercise for the glutes that is the most effective?

• Author
Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe the girls that are getting the benefit because they've been doing it for months maybe even years? It'll take patience and hard work but squats will eventually get you there. Keep up the good work with the squats and you'll get there!!

Thanks for the positive thoughts, futuregopher. I should just keep doing it. I used to think my abs could never get in shape way back when I was in middle school but eventually they became hard as a rock after a few years of nightly sit ups. Guess I'll stick with 50+ squats a night even if I'm not seeing or feeling a thing!

To build muscle, you're better off adding weight to your repetitions than adding repetitions. Try using a bar and weights, placing the bar in the "meaty" part of your neck/shoulders.

• Author
To build muscle, you're better off adding weight to your repetitions than adding repetitions. Try using a bar and weights, placing the bar in the "meaty" part of your neck/shoulders.

I'll try that. This build thigh muscle, too, correct? Is there a way of building your glutes without building your thighs?

• Author
Are you using full range of motion? Are you squatting barefoot on in flat soled shoes?

Barefoot at my place. But maybe you're on to something about full range of motion... Am I supposed to squat all the way down to the floor? From what I remember, I was taught to squat slightly lower than a 90 degree angle...

Barefoot at my place. But maybe you're on to something about full range of motion... Am I supposed to squat all the way down to the floor? From what I remember, I was taught to squat slightly lower than a 90 degree angle...

That's good that you're going barefoot and slightly lower than parallel. You might experiment with a broader range of motion (ass to grass).

Also, make sure you are sitting back on your heals, as opposed to having your weight on your toes or the balls of your feet. Sitting back, driving your knees apart, a driving your hips through on the lockout will help ensure that you're activating your glutes and hamstrings properly.

You might also, in addition to squats, start doing some glute/hip raise. Basically, lie on your back with your feet planted on the floor, and push your hips up in to the air. Emphasize squeezing your glutes at the top of the motion for a second or two before letting your hips drop. You can make these harder by doing them one leg at a time as well...

Lunges, deadlifts, sprints, bench step ups, and full range jumps are also great for building glutes.

• Like 1
Yesterday I did 50 squats and felt absolutely nothing. And I've been properly trained how to do them correctly. Hmmm. Maybe I should bump it up to 100? Or is there one particular exercise for the glutes that is the most effective?

If its your first time, you can start out with a light weight to get the feel for the excercise, and maybe the weight was not heavy enough to result in soreness in your glutes. I think you should bump up the weight, not the lift count.

You should feel it the day after, especially if this is the first time. I assume you are doing sets with your lifts. If so are you struggling a little with the last one in the set, because you should be using sufficent weight that makes the last one a more of a struggle than the first in the set?

brahmabull117

and this here folks is why 90% of women get zero results in the gym. 50 reps?

If you can do more than 8 - 12 reps, you're not doing nearly enough weight. The weight has to be challenging

Do leg press and squats with as much weight as you can while keeping form natural. It's gotta be challenging/grueling or you're not going to get any results

• Like 1

To think, I, a woman, have said basically the same thing as brah. And most of my friends would have given the same advice. Will wonders never cease?

Celtica, to answer your questions about the thighs. Nope, my thighs got smaller when I increased the weigh I was lifting. They "packed in". My butt, on the other hand "lifted". All good things really. There's no harm in trying it.

futuregopher
Your butt is a muscle, it is called the "glute" for short. Your glute is heavily involved in squats and deadlifts, do those and ur glutes will grow.

Squats and deadlifts are two exercises that everyone should do. Both are great for building overall muscle mass. OP, just make sure you do them with correct form or else you run the risk of injury.

I used to do air squats but I've noticed more thigh striations after doing weighted barbell squats. I hate how squats hurt my lower neck/back so I put a pad on the bar. A lof of my friends call me a pussy for using a pussy pad but who cares. I'm getting the benefit of the squat without hurting my neck/traps and not using that as an excuse.

and this here folks is why 90% of women get zero results in the gym. 50 reps?

If you can do more than 8 - 12 reps, you're not doing nearly enough weight. The weight has to be challenging

Do leg press and squats with as much weight as you can while keeping form natural. It's gotta be challenging/grueling or you're not going to get any results

While I generally agree that most women (and people) need to lift more weight, your second statement is not necessarily true, especially if the goal is hypertrophy...

Ever done a set of 20 squats (full depth) with 225+ on the bar? Try it and get back to me about how unchallenging it was... ;)

I used to do air squats but I've noticed more thigh striations after doing weighted barbell squats. I hate how squats hurt my lower neck/back so I put a pad on the bar. A lof of my friends call me a pussy for using a pussy pad but who cares. I'm getting the benefit of the squat without hurting my neck/traps and not using that as an excuse.

Doing more rows to build your upper back, and using a lower bar position might help you a lot. Also, you could try manning the **** up. It's done wonders for me. ;)

jk man, just ribbin' you.

Ever done a set of 20 squats (full depth) with 225+ on the bar? Try it and get back to me about how unchallenging it was... ;)

I sink 315x20 for my last set... it sure tickles!

Another great lift (that I recommend for those who are already experienced in proper deadlift form) is the Jefferson deadlift.

Absolutely brutal. They sure help your squat and conventional DL though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Celtica. You are doing it incorrectly.

Do three sets of 12-15 reps of squats with a barbell/curlbar paired along with three sets of 12-15 reps of another butt exercise such as butt bridge or single leg deadlift, etc. (there are sooo many butt exercises you can do, search youtube). Make sure to squeeze and focus on your butt muscles with each rep.

Only weight train two-three times per week (every other day, not consecutive days) as you need to allow your muscles to rest and have time to grow. You don't want to overdo it and have the muscle break down!

Make sure to drink at least 20 grams of protein before and after your training session.

Also, you will need to feed your muscles. Make sure to EAT at least 2,000 + calories of HEALTHY food (food that is high in protein such as grilled chicken and salmon work wonders).

I've been weight training with a curlbar since February and my butt has grown from 38 inches to 41 inches, so it can be done! I highly recommend buying a curlbar (15 lbs.) with two 10 lb. plates and two 5 lbs. weights. Start off with 10 lbs. and work your way up; I'm currently lifting 45 lbs. . When I first started I was frustrated as my butt went through so many transformations in the beginning, but I am so pleased with the round shape now and will keep going til I reach my goal.

Good luck and happy training! :)

Edited by onthemoon