shocker627

Hey everyone. I am looking for some insight. I am currently a 26 years old male 5'11 272 pounds. My Bmi is about 37.5. Most of my life I have been overweight but currently at 272 I have never been this big. My body image is extremely poor and I get really self-conscious and I become obsessed at looking at myself in the mirror and feeling fat. Recently someone had mentioned to me about the lapband which could help me lose weight and control my over eating. This is something that I am seriously considering since my weight has always been a problem for me. Through all my failed attempts to losing weight this may seem like a viable option for me. But deep down I feel the need to lose the weight naturally, but then again it never works for me. Any advice? :o

No, go with the VSG if you have too. Read up on the hell of the lapband - it isn't a quick fix, nothing is. Check out WLS site instead for better answers in regards to surgeries.

With a lap band you have to eat even less food than someone on a diet plus you will be in pain a lot of the time or just feel lousy. Besides, you will have better self-esteem losing weight by changing your lifestyle. Start googling for stories about people who have lost massive amounts of weight. There are "tons" of them!

• Author
shocker627

@ smile - ive never heard of Vsg or wls but I will def. look into it.

I've tried many lifestyle changes non of which I could ever stick to because I just can't seem to lose the weight then eventually I give up. Ahhh! So frustrating.

@ smile - ive never heard of Vsg or wls but I will def. look into it.

I've tried many lifestyle changes non of which I could ever stick to because I just can't seem to lose the weight then eventually I give up. Ahhh! So frustrating.

Then you will do the same with surgery. I am not saying you won't lose the weight when you are new post op but unless you are ready to make a life style change it will fail like all your diet attempts. It isn't a quick fix - any surgery is a major one. However with the amount of scar tissue and the chance of you body rejecting the band, I will not recommand it to anyone. It is easy to eat around the band. The VSG -Veritcal Sleeve gastrectomy is where they cut out about 80% of your stomach and do no rearrange your intestines - like with surgeries such as gastric bypass or duodenal switch.

futuregopher

http://www.youtube DOT com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Arthur Boorman was a disabled veteran of the Gulf War for 15 years, and was told by his doctors that he would never be able to walk on his own, ever again.

He stumbled upon an article about Diamond Dallas Page doing Yoga and decided to give it a try -- he couldn't do traditional, higher impact exercise, so he tried DDP YOGA and sent an email to Dallas telling him his story.

Dallas was so moved by his story, he began emailing and speaking on the phone with Arthur throughout his journey - he encouraged Arthur to keep going and to believe that anything was possible. Even though doctors told him walking would never happen, Arthur was persistent. He fell many times, but kept going.

Arthur was getting stronger rapidly, and he was losing weight at an incredible rate! Because of DDP's specialized workout, he gained tremendous balance and flexibility -- which gave him hope that maybe someday, he'd be able to walk again.

His story is proof, that we cannot place limits on what we are capable of doing, because we often do not know our own potential. Niether Arthur, nor Dallas knew what he would go on to accomplish, but this video speaks for itself. In less than a year, Arthur completely transformed his life. If only he had known what he was capable of, 15 years earlier.

Do not waste any time thinking you are stuck - you can take control over your life, and change it faster than you might think.

Hopefully this story can inspire you to follow your dreams - whatever they may be.

Anything is Possible!

Oh, I thought you were talking about workout bands. Because yes, that's a great idea, especially if you never work out and want to start toning muscle.

Surgery should be the absolute last resort, usually reserved for people who cannot see or understand warning signs and eat themselves to death. If you're not that far gone, you can take small steps to bring your weight that much more under control.

• 3 weeks later...
RiverRunning
Hey everyone. I am looking for some insight. I am currently a 26 years old male 5'11 272 pounds. My Bmi is about 37.5. Most of my life I have been overweight but currently at 272 I have never been this big. My body image is extremely poor and I get really self-conscious and I become obsessed at looking at myself in the mirror and feeling fat. Recently someone had mentioned to me about the lapband which could help me lose weight and control my over eating. This is something that I am seriously considering since my weight has always been a problem for me. Through all my failed attempts to losing weight this may seem like a viable option for me. But deep down I feel the need to lose the weight naturally, but then again it never works for me. Any advice? :o

I'm 5'8" and I was once 295 pounds. BMI of 45. My BMI is now around 30, 31. My concern with the lap band, or any other weight loss surgery, is that they do not change your mind. I have known several people who just wound up overeating and throwing up. They ended up stretching out their stomachs again or causing major complications.

The lap band is something you get, IMO, to immediately save your life if you ALSO plan to work in conjunction on what's going on in your mind. If you cannot get a control over your eating, any surgery is not going to help you in the long run.

Why not make an account on SparkPeople or something? They can give you calorie intake recommendations and work-out advice, etc.

Look up "daily calorie maintenance calculators," OP, and input your information. Try shaving a few hundred calories off that number every day and you will start losing some weight (say, if it tells you you need to eat 2600 calories a day to maintain your weight, try eating 2300). Add in a short walk or two...maybe try walking a mile or two per day.

You CAN do this. I've lost about a third of my starting weight. So can you.