Does anyone do crossfit?

futuregopher

I was thinking about doing it once a day just to change things up a bit. I also like the fact that some classes can be done outside and in the crossfit promo video's pretty much none of the guys have their shirts on so it would be great for tanning as well. I am from NJ so GTL is always on my mind.

I do have a few concerns though. From the crossfit promo video, form for some of the exercises are REALLY bad due to the time constrictions. I would personally have perfect form over reaching a time objective but crossfit seems to be more time oriented. What is the point of doing 10 clean in jerks in 1 minute if the form is really bad which could lead to injury. I am not even sure olympic style lifts were even meant to be time sensitive.

Is it the next fitness fad? I've done p90x pretty intensively for about 5-6 months but never got the physique that I got from a good bodybuilding routine. I definitely got stronger with p90x but this bodybuilding routine I've been doing since early march has really made my physique more aesthetically pleasing. With p90x, it never got to a point where I could visually see my gains. I'm just afraid crossfit is the same way in terms of making someone stronger but not as aesthetically pleasing.

I think you are probably better off deciding what you want to achieve exactly (a strong and larger physique by the sound of it) and build a program around that with some variations.

Personally I find Crossfit's 'one fits all' approach a non-starter. My goals change continuously and I adjust my fitness training according to that ie sometimes more cardio with an aerobic element, sometimes more anaerobic, more strength training, more power training, etc.

I did circuit training for about 2 years and while it made me a well rounded and reasonably fit person, more varied training would have made me stronger and fitter faster.

The only way you'll know if it's right for you is by trying it out.

If your goal is to look like a bodybuilder, train like a bodybuilder. If your goal is to be as strong as a powerlifter, train like a powerlifter. If your goal is to be fairly average at everything and tear your rotator cuffs, train like a Crossfitter. :D

Kidding, kidding...

I have a few pals that do Crossfit, and they all seem to love it. They don't look big and jacked, but they have insane work capacity, are reasonably strong, and can do just about any activity that they put their minds to (mountain climbing, skiing, long distance running, etc.).

Evaluate what your goals are and decide whether it's something you want to pursue. It's easy to say "I want to be shredded, huge, really strong, and in great conditioning shape!", but it's a very genetically gifted person (or juiced up person) that can actually achieve all of those things at the same time. Pick a goal and train accordingly. Avoid setting divergent goals.

• Like 1
  • Author
futuregopher
The only way you'll know if it's right for you is by trying it out.

If your goal is to look like a bodybuilder, train like a bodybuilder. If your goal is to be as strong as a powerlifter, train like a powerlifter. If your goal is to be fairly average at everything and tear your rotator cuffs, train like a Crossfitter. :D

Kidding, kidding...

LOL. Okay... I will not touch crossfit with a 15 foot pole. I am not gonna risk injury b/c i can tell their form on everything is just so bad

LOL. Okay... I will not touch crossfit with a 15 foot pole. I am not gonna risk injury b/c i can tell their form on everything is just so bad

Well, my personal viewpoint agrees with yours, but then again, but you should do what you want to do. I've also been told that there are an increasing number of CrossFit gyms (boxes) that are throwing out some of the dangerous and/or poor programming coming from HQ in favor of more intelligently designed (in house by their own qualified coaches) programming.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out.