When you see an out of shape person at the gym....

futuregopher

You should be happy for them that they are taking the right steps to lead a better and more healthy lifestyle instead of giving them that look of "do you even lift?" If they are using incorrect form, maybe you can even introduce yourself and give them a couple of tips instead of shaking your head in dismay.

If you have friends that have taken the steps to improve their lifestyle, inflate their ego a little bit. Even if they still look like they haven't improved, tell them "wow, you're getting too shredded, are you sure you don't need a new shirt? :p your muscles are just getting so big" blah blah.

A lot of girls are scared to lift weights because they are scared they'll get butch or whatever it's called. To girls that lift maybe you can say something like - "wow you are getting so toned. You look good...oops I mean in a healthy way :p"

This little ego boost will give that much more incentive to get in the gym training and improving their life.

• Like 2

I use to work out at Jack La Lane's. I loved it. I worked out in the woman's room and the women were so kind. But then they got rid of the woman's room and put the woman out there with the men. The men were working on the floor and they put the women workers behind the desk. Everything changed. The men spent all of there times with the skinny women giving them lots of their time. They did not want to help the heavy women. It was disgusting. I stopped going.

• Like 2

Curves is a great place. But then you shouldn't let what others think matter when you go to work out. After all, you're there to improve yourself, not to impress complete strangers.

If you have friends that have taken the steps to improve their lifestyle, inflate their ego a little bit. Even if they still look like they haven't improved, tell them "wow, you're getting too shredded, are you sure you don't need a new shirt? :p your muscles are just getting so big" blah blah.

A lot of girls are scared to lift weights because they are scared they'll get butch or whatever it's called. To girls that lift maybe you can say something like - "wow you are getting so toned. You look good...oops I mean in a healthy way :p"

This little ego boost will give that much more incentive to get in the gym training and improving their life.

Isn't this just external validation...? :confused:

I try to drop a note where they will find it that says, "it's not working. Go home and eat a pizza."

Actually I've seen some severely out of shape people who have the courage to enter a gym full of fit people and suffer as much as anyone in the building doing things I wouldn't think twice about. I really admire them for that. But they don't last. It's a huge adjustment to go from where they are to a healthy lifestyle. Working out must be torture.

I have less admiration for people I see there who are naturally athletic. It's great that they take care of themselves, but they are much farther into the range of diminishing returns. And they aren't facing down any personal demons by being there. Life is a bit easier for them.

I try to drop a note where they will find it that says, "it's not working. Go home and eat a pizza."

I prefer doing curls right in front of them.

Curves is a great place. But then you shouldn't let what others think matter when you go to work out. After all, you're there to improve yourself, not to impress complete strangers.

We didn't want to impress people. We just wanted the employees there to help us with the equipment.

• Like 1
You should be happy for them that they are taking the right steps to lead a better and more healthy lifestyle instead of giving them that look of "do you even lift?" If they are using incorrect form, maybe you can even introduce yourself and give them a couple of tips instead of shaking your head in dismay.

are you there to work out or to pay attention to what others are doing?

if you want to help others in the gym you can be a personal trainer.

people know when you are giving false flattery. are you hoping these people notice and complement your physique in return?

I think the only thing you should do is focus on your workout or a quick good to see you here kind of comment for someone who keeps coming back.

i really don't get this obsession by fit people over what unfit people are eating and doing or not doing. Are you all secretly afraid it can happen to you?

• Like 1

Work out at home and you'll have no excuse. There are so many great DVDs out there by all sorts of fitness instructors. Watch a few clips, read the reviews and buy one that appeals to you. This is a good place to start. DVD workouts have come a loooong way since Richard Simmons was around.

• Like 2

I always workout at home, when I manage it. We have a second-hand treadmill that I use when I can (I need to use it more often), and DVDs - you can get them from the library, too.

We used to check out videos on Collage Video, the link that FitChick posted. :) I used old-school videos from The Firm, and then FitPrime, TLP (Tracie Long Productions), TLT (Tracie Long Training), and Cathe Friedrich.

DVD workouts have gone waaaay downhill since Richard Simmons was around.

So true.

I hate going to gyms because of the gym rats, those people are the worst.

I know, I hate those f*ckers... :mad:

i really don't get this obsession by fit people over what unfit people are eating and doing or not doing. Are you all secretly afraid it can happen to you?

I've never actually seen this obsession of fit people to "correct" unfit people, but that is just based on my limited experience. But I dare say that those who do attempt to correct unfit people do so to openly put down others and demonstrate what they believe to be superior knowledge and lifestyle...kinda like saying to the world, "you should be like me!" :cool:

Just another way to measure d*cks...

• Like 1

Damn, I need to get back into it. I've been looking up some of the videos, and I miss it. This one killed my calves, the first time I tried it:

When I started working out, I was in my teens. I asked for a step for my eighteenth birthday, and then used basic step moves whilst watching TV - adding ankle weights for ten minutes. My mother said that she bought me the step in self-defense, because I kept taking the top of the old octagonal coffee table. :o I added in exercises with light weights, for the arms and legs, and was careful. I'm not a believer in pushing through pain.

So true.

I know, I hate those f*ckers... :mad:

I've never actually seen this obsession of fit people to "correct" unfit people, but that is just based on my limited experience. But I dare say that those who do attempt to correct unfit people do so to openly put down others and demonstrate what they believe to be superior knowledge and lifestyle...kinda like saying to the world, "you should be like me!" :cool:

I've noticed on here with certain posters; the attitude i don't have any problem so you shouldn't either attitude of superiority.

one place i worked there was a woman who fell ill with a rare blood disorder and nearly died. spent several months in the hospital. she has lots of blood transfusions and a bunch of steriods and put on nearly hundred pounds.

so she came back to work and this C...t starting working there and she just wouldn't shut up about this girl's weight. starting bringing in diet books and criticising her food or make oh you are eating healthy comments if she was eating fruit. she just thought the girl was fat because she was a slothful lasy pig and had no idea about her medical condition.

Finally the girl told the nosy B off when she went outside and the nosy B was standing out there smoking of all things.

but yeah that is just one example. i notice it in the workplace mostly.

• Like 2

But I dare say that those who do attempt to correct unfit people do so to openly put down others and demonstrate what they believe to be superior knowledge and lifestyle...kinda like saying to the world, "you should be like me!" :cool:

Well I corrected a very fit guy the other day because he let his head hang down while he was doing push ups instead of looking ahead. It's my pet peeve.

I do feel like having a chat with girls when I'm doing my core exercises on the mat and they are only doing some half-arsed version of an abs routine. Not to patronise but because I know if they worked just a touch harder, they would see results much sooner and perhaps stick with their membership. I don't say anything in the end but I do believe a lot of non-athletic types give up (especially women) because they have no idea how to progress.

I have less admiration for people I see there who are naturally athletic. It's great that they take care of themselves, but they are much farther into the range of diminishing returns. And they aren't facing down any personal demons by being there. Life is a bit easier for them.

I don't agree with this. I think I'm probably naturally athletic though I didn't know this until my 30s. Where I am now it's much much harder to see results than it used to be. Also my career is getting more physical and I have to work out 5 days a week. Properly. I battle my age and my physical limitations every day.

Athletic people feel the pain too, the difference is we clench our teeth and work through it.

Edited by Emilia

How do you know who's "naturally athletic"? I mean, if you see someone who is fit, how do you know how much or how little s/he had to overcome to get that way?

I think most people in the gym deserve respect. The ones who are working hard even more so. Their current level of fitness is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Anela, what types of workouts do you like? I started out doing The Firm many years ago and have since tried just about every type of workout. Now I like Margaret Richard (her reputation for being tough scared me for years) and have gotten great results. No wonder she's still on TV after twenty-five years. At 65, she is in amazing shape. Good 'n' Strong is one of her best. She makes it look so easy when it isn't. I like to pretend I'm working outdoors with her!

• Like 1
Well I corrected a very fit guy the other day because he let his head hang down while he was doing push ups instead of looking ahead. It's my pet peeve.

I do feel like having a chat with girls when I'm doing my core exercises on the mat and they are only doing some half-arsed version of an abs routine. Not to patronise but because I know if they worked just a touch harder, they would see results much sooner and perhaps stick with their membership. I don't say anything in the end but I do believe a lot of non-athletic types give up (especially women) because they have no idea how to progress.

What's the issue with face down pushups? It's incredibly difficult to look straight ahead in that position!

What's the issue with face down pushups? It's incredibly difficult to look straight ahead in that position!

Exactly. It's harder looking up and places a greater emphasis on stability.

Exactly. It's harder looking up and places a greater emphasis on stability.

So you're supposed to look horizontally? It's harder in that it's painful on my neck, not really for anything else. I also put one foot on top of the other and only use one for balance.

She said it like it's wrong, it's just better to do it that way then.

I just looked up recommended ways to do a push up, none of them include looking forward.

Edited by Engadget
I don't agree with this. I think I'm probably naturally athletic though I didn't know this until my 30s. Where I am now it's much much harder to see results than it used to be. Also my career is getting more physical and I have to work out 5 days a week. Properly. I battle my age and my physical limitations every day.

Athletic people feel the pain too, the difference is we clench our teeth and work through it.

The pain I was talking about, was pain in my problem knees, pain in my back, etc. I love to challenge myself, but I'm not going to injure myself doing so.

The pain I was talking about, was pain in my problem knees, pain in my back, etc. I love to challenge myself, but I'm not going to injure myself doing so.

I know how you feel, I've got a rare problem in my shoulder that makes weight lifting painful, and two bad knees that make running near impossible and biking very painful.

Anela, what types of workouts do you like? I started out doing The Firm many years ago and have since tried just about every type of workout. Now I like Margaret Richard (her reputation for being tough scared me for years) and have gotten great results. No wonder she's still on TV after twenty-five years. At 65, she is in amazing shape. Good 'n' Strong is one of her best. She makes it look so easy when it isn't. I like to pretend I'm working outdoors with her!

I'll have to look into her workouts, thank you. :)

I only use the treadmill at the moment, and I keep trying to remember to keep one of those little weighted balls with me, so that I can throw it between my hands, and build up a little muscle in my arms again, or throw it up in the air and get a few squats in whilst catching it. :)

I bought a yoga DVD last November, but still haven't used it. I really need to - it was put out by a woman who works with Jennifer Aniston. Other than that, it's been Cathe or Tracie Long - one of the old Firms might do me in, right now. ;)