Fitness for stress relief/happiness?

Has anyone embarked on a workout plan mainly to help with stress or to try and achieve more peace? What have you found to be the most helpful? Cardio? Yoga? A combination of these or others? Did this lead to productive results?

• Author

That's a good idea, but I want something scheduled. I'm fighting depression and I think something that I have to make myself do at a certain time could be a good idea.

That's a good idea, but I want something scheduled. I'm fighting depression and I think something that I have to make myself do at a certain time could be a good idea.

I try to walk everyday after work for half an hour. Then on alternate days I use my DVDs and weights for resistance training. Sunlight is a natural form of Vitamin D that fights depression and strengthens bones.

You also need to clean up your diet. Google foods that fight depression.

Anything that gets your blood flowing will work just fine, I've never heard that cardio will improve your mood more than yoga or weights or anything like that. Any type of exercise gets some of those feel-good endorphins released. So pick what you like most and make a schedule out of it or follow a premade program. And like FitChick said get your diet in check as well. Try to keep it clean and natural. Things like sugar or comfort foods can make us feel better until the effect wears off and then we feel worse again, and it becomes a constant game of eating these bad foods to try to feel better. I'm currently on a mission to stop using sugary foods to this affect, need to break the cycle.

freetolove

you need to actually break a sweat. exercise and push your body hard.

You need something that makes you work very very hard. Perhaps joining a group exercise class would work well, that usually motivates people. The more tired you get by the end of it, the better you will feel.

Has anyone embarked on a workout plan mainly to help with stress or to try and achieve more peace? What have you found to be the most helpful? Cardio? Yoga? A combination of these or others? Did this lead to productive results?

I have founded yoga exercise to achieve more peace and meditation is also useful in this way. Cardio is a good exercise but it can't help to reduce all stress and it good for only weight loss.

Can you find a friend to meet you regularly once or twice during the week or on the weekend to go for a walk outside or do some physical exercise?

I find that exercising with friends outdoors is really fun and actually lifts my seasonal affective depression which happens because where I live in the Midwest is dark and cold for 6-7 months every year and my Vitamin D level dips due to lack of sunlight exposure which means taking Vit. D during the fall, winter and early spring months until I can get outside and enjoy the sunshine.

I have founded yoga exercise to achieve more peace and meditation is also useful in this way. Cardio is a good exercise but it can't help to reduce all stress and it good for only weight loss.

Incorrect, the exact opposite is true. Cardio is very good at busting stress and releasing serotonin and dopamine.

On a bodily level, yoga increases strength, versatility and elegance. But incredibly important, yoga will decrease levels of stress by the procedure for recovery and cleansing the mind together with healing the body.

mumbo jumbo. it's the effects of the happy hormones that you get from exercise

• 1 month later...

I have found both running and yoga to be helpful. Yoga is good in the sense that classes are scheduled so it became part of my weekly routine, plus a lot of the poses are designed to help release negative emotions. Running is free and good to do if you're stressed out and need to feel better ASAP (I used to get anxiety attacks and would go running to deal with it)

Biking is nice too though if you have a bike.

Try different things and see what you like best.

todreaminblue

If you want something scheduled you need to find out what triggers your you having the depressive feelings, when are times you are most likely to feel depressed because when you are depressed no schedule is going to be able to be followed due to lack of motivation if you are fighting depression during your waking hours almost constantly its going to be a struggle and a matter of someone or yourself forcing you to move and to stick to a schedule.........

i am on medication to treat mine as well so here is my morning sample

630 am cardio involving three forms of therapy with my morning meds and brekkie......15 minute stretch

my ipod[music therapy] my rottweiler on lead{pet tharapist on guard] and alternate fast walk/ sprint with ankle weights start with what you are comfortable with time wise and fitness wise..... work your way to increasing the length of time and distance do it gradually..or you may find that you will do what i have done and throw up if you take your endurance too far... up chucking is way too far...... buy a journal and note how you felt and track your progress write down something that caught your eye while you were exercising.....i suggest the rottie as pet therapy as well works wonders for depression they so goofy and look like big bears....ears flappin in the breeze tongue lolling to the side and they grin at you..they will motivate you to do a morning walk or you may lose an arm if you deny rottweiler determination.... havent tried denying my rottie yet...ill let you know if i ever type one handed.....smilin....good luck....deb

Howdy.. I'm a personal trainer for few years now... I have a lot of clients that wanted to work out to reduce stress from work,family,home,etc...

If you to have something that is routine..You should do yoga,kickboxing, or just run every other day...

A lot of my clients have their spirts raise and lower their stress within a month...