ON MY OWN

Trying to get some stubborn excess weight off. Want to try doing how the people on the Biggest Loser do with their workout sessions. To jumpstart my weightloss basically since it has been there a year or so it is stubborn...:eek:

What I guess I am confused about it when I try to look up info about it I find beginners workouts that say 3 days a week. Well I know 3 days is normally for maintainence of weight.

I have worked out on and off...have fallen off because I couldnt afford the gym again for now....HOWEVER, am taking it to the great outdoors and making this about me and a postive lifestyle revamp. (Used to workout 6 days a week, running 5-7 miles a day) I am not there anymore and sad.

I have previous workout experience out so not looking to be talked out of it, so with due respect please stick to my question. I would appreciate that. The other way isnt working right now. What I would like to know is does anyone out there know how they start out on the BL...I know they workout in excess of 3-6 hours a day at seperate intervals. My curiosity is they have to have some level of 'beginner' ...but I know its not walk around the track a quarter of a mile for 2 weeks etc.....I am not weak minded but need a little advice on how to start this out....

I wanted to work out 2 x a day for 2 hours. Do I just go lighter for the amount of time to work up to the intensity? I am confused. My question is how to go about starting this without injury but get the kickstart for my metabolism. Not looking for diet answers either....just my direct questions as to how to go about starting an intense training program. Plenty of people do these, many are called bootcamps....but cant afford one so am doing my own. :D

Any of these, bootcamps, 'Biggest Loser', 'I used to be fat'.....all have the jumpstart method which I am looking for, but want to do it safely.

Thank you in advance to the answer I am seeking.:)

Edited by ON MY OWN

Chef Cheryl Forberg was the Nutritionist for The Biggest Loser for 12 years.

I follow her website and have lost weight and toned up based on her writings...

• Like 1
Trying to get some stubborn excess weight off. Want to try doing how the people on the Biggest Loser do with their workout sessions. To jumpstart my weightloss basically since it has been there a year or so it is stubborn...:eek:

What I guess I am confused about it when I try to look up info about it I find beginners workouts that say 3 days a week. Well I know 3 days is normally for maintainence of weight.

I have worked out on and off...have fallen off because I couldnt afford the gym again for now....HOWEVER, am taking it to the great outdoors and making this about me and a postive lifestyle revamp. (Used to workout 6 days a week, running 5-7 miles a day) I am not there anymore and sad.

I have previous workout experience out so not looking to be talked out of it, so with due respect please stick to my question. I would appreciate that. The other way isnt working right now. What I would like to know is does anyone out there know how they start out on the BL...I know they workout in excess of 3-6 hours a day at seperate intervals. My curiosity is they have to have some level of 'beginner' ...but I know its not walk around the track a quarter of a mile for 2 weeks etc.....I am not weak minded but need a little advice on how to start this out....

I wanted to work out 2 x a day for 2 hours. Do I just go lighter for the amount of time to work up to the intensity? I am confused. My question is how to go about starting this without injury but get the kickstart for my metabolism. Not looking for diet answers either....just my direct questions as to how to go about starting an intense training program. Plenty of people do these, many are called bootcamps....but cant afford one so am doing my own. :D

Any of these, bootcamps, 'Biggest Loser', 'I used to be fat'.....all have the jumpstart method which I am looking for, but want to do it safely.

Thank you in advance to the answer I am seeking.:)

The easiest way to find out how your plan is going to work is to dive in with both feet and try it out.

Everything I've seen and experienced for myself tells me that your plan is a good way to get injured or burnt out. Ultimately, I don't think this will get you anywhere. Sorry, I know you said you didn't want to be talked out of it, but Biggest Loser is a TV show, not a good template for a well thought out training program.

One of the keys to good training is managing recovery and injury risk. Being injured is probably the worst case scenario, while not recovering properly from exercise is a good way to spin your wheels for a long time. That said, you are correct in saying that intensity is also a key factor. However, balance between these factors is of crucial importance if you are going to see success in the long term and results that last.

I'd be happy to give you some pointers in developing a proper training program to work with your goals. Unfortunately, there's not much else I can say about your current approach.

• Like 1
  • Author
ON MY OWN
The easiest way to find out how your plan is going to work is to dive in with both feet and try it out.

Everything I've seen and experienced for myself tells me that your plan is a good way to get injured or burnt out. Ultimately, I don't think this will get you anywhere. Sorry, I know you said you didn't want to be talked out of it, but Biggest Loser is a TV show, not a good template for a well thought out training program.

One of the keys to good training is managing recovery and injury risk. Being injured is probably the worst case scenario, while not recovering properly from exercise is a good way to spin your wheels for a long time. That said, you are correct in saying that intensity is also a key factor. However, balance between these factors is of crucial importance if you are going to see success in the long term and results that last.

I'd be happy to give you some pointers in developing a proper training program to work with your goals. Unfortunately, there's not much else I can say about your current approach.

I am open to pointers.....just curious about the bootcamp thing then atleast....maybe this is extreme....what about intense training but not the BL extreme? Thank you....would like to keep talking with you on best jumpstart method, doesnt have to be to that extreme, need some help....:) I do understand about diving in and seeing about trial and error, but just wanted to formulate some sort of starting plan. They say it is motrivational to record and like checkoff each day....more for motivational purposes as I dont have much moral support and am trying to make my own. Would definitely love some pointers in developing a proper and effective training program.

Edited by ON MY OWN
I am open to pointers.....just curious about the bootcamp thing then atleast....maybe this is extreme....what about intense training but not the BL extreme? Thank you....would like to keep talking with you....:)

It's a good thing that you're open to intense training. That mindset and willingness to put yourself through some blood, sweat, and tears will take you a long way.

As I was mentioning earlier, managing recovery and injury potential is key. If you're sick or injured, you're likely not going to be able to train at all, which obviously has a negative impact on your goals. However, before you get to point to being injured, there's usually a bunch of steps you have to put yourself through to get there.

These can include things such as: not eating enough/not eating the right kinds of things to support your training recovery, not sleeping enough, not drinking enough water, vitamin deficiencies, and training harder than your body can recover from. Sure, there are also instances of sudden, traumatic injury from things like not warming up well or botching a lift, but in general, you can avoid injury by paying attention to and addressing the warning signs.

There are basically 3 factors in training that you can manipulate: intensity, volume, and frequency. Intensity in fitness terms generally refers to the load being used. This load could be external (from weights or other forms of resistance) or from your own bodyweight. Volume refers to how many times a weight is lifted (i.e. the amount of reps you do on a specific muscle group in a training session). Frequency refers to how often the muscle or movement is trained.

It's generally accepted that you can maximize 2 of these variables at once and still have long term training. However, one of the variables has to be diminished in order for progress to occur. For example, if you consistently lift heavy weights (high intensity) 3-4 times per week (high-ish frequency), your volume, i.e. the amount of reps you can each workout, is going to be relatively low. Contrasting that, one could train with high reps (high volume), 5 times per week (high frequency), but the load used (intensity) would likely need to be decreased overall in order to manage recovery.

This is why full body, high intensity programs are typically set up for training on only a bi or tri-weekly basis. It's also why bodybuilders tend to split up their training into smaller "chunks" of the muscle being trained. This allows them to train with high volume and moderate to high intensity (due to the frequency of the training on each muscle being low-approx once per week).

As far as which method is best for you: that's the million dollar question that we all seek. It's important to be open to trying various methods. If I were in your shoes, I would likely split up my training one of two ways:

Option 1) Full body workouts, 3 times per week

or

Option 2) Training 4 days per week: 2 Upper Body days and 2 lower body days (for an example of this particular split, see this thread)

Since you mentioned that you do not have a gym membership, I'm assuming that the heaviest load you'll have access to using is your own bodyweight (haha, I know that sounds bad, but bodyweight training can be extremely beneficial). Push ups, pull ups, dips, bear crawls, mountain climbers, burpees, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, sprints, etc. (the list goes on and on) should all be part of your training.

On your non-training days, I recommend that you opt for low intensity activity, such as walking, hiking, playing outside, etc. Low intensity, non-exercise physical activity is a great way to burn off extra calories while assisting you in your recovery.

On your training days, since the load will be fairly light weight (being your body weight only), you can probably get away with a high volume of work. I would start off with attempting to be able to do a total of 50 push ups, 5, 30-second flexed arm hangs (if you can't do full pull ups), and 100 full squats. Split the sets out into numbers that allow you to get this work done in 5-6 sets. Try to minimize the amount of rest you take in between each set (try to keep it less than 30 seconds).

From there, you can always get creative and build on your workouts. The important part is that you should be pushing yourself to nearly your maximum amount of perceived exertion. If you start feeling dizzy or faint, you should stop. The aim is to stimulate your muscles and energy systems into a mode where they're being pushed, not to kill yourself. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir here - from your original post it sounds like you probably already know what it feels like to push yourself vs. not working hard enough.

I cannot stress enough the importance of diet. If you are going to see any of the fruits of your labor, you will have to make sure that your diet matches your goals. For fat loss, this means that you need to be getting in about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass per day. The rest of your calories can be split between carbs and fat. I recommend making a detailed journal of what you currently eat so you have an idea of what your maintenance level of calories/macronutrients looks like. From there, you can figure out what your fat loss diet needs to look like. I don't recommend going into a huge caloric deficit from your maintenance level calories-300 to 400 calories per day of deficit is plenty. The key with any diet is figuring out how to make it work in the long term with your lifestyle.

Fat loss (and muscle gain, for that matter) tends to be a relatively simple topic, yet it's so hard for so many people. This is because many people fail to grasp the importance of making fitness work with their lifestyles, and vice versa. Long term sustainability and the willingness to adapt are the keys to taking you where you want to go.

Please feel free to ask more questions-I'll always do my best to give a meaningful answer.

• Like 1
  • Author
ON MY OWN
It's a good thing that you're open to intense training. That mindset and willingness to put yourself through some blood, sweat, and tears will take you a long way.

As I was mentioning earlier, managing recovery and injury potential is key. If you're sick or injured, you're likely not going to be able to train at all, which obviously has a negative impact on your goals. However, before you get to point to being injured, there's usually a bunch of steps you have to put yourself through to get there.

These can include things such as: not eating enough/not eating the right kinds of things to support your training recovery, not sleeping enough, not drinking enough water, vitamin deficiencies, and training harder than your body can recover from. Sure, there are also instances of sudden, traumatic injury from things like not warming up well or botching a lift, but in general, you can avoid injury by paying attention to and addressing the warning signs.

There are basically 3 factors in training that you can manipulate: intensity, volume, and frequency. Intensity in fitness terms generally refers to the load being used. This load could be external (from weights or other forms of resistance) or from your own bodyweight. Volume refers to how many times a weight is lifted (i.e. the amount of reps you do on a specific muscle group in a training session). Frequency refers to how often the muscle or movement is trained.

It's generally accepted that you can maximize 2 of these variables at once and still have long term training. However, one of the variables has to be diminished in order for progress to occur. For example, if you consistently lift heavy weights (high intensity) 3-4 times per week (high-ish frequency), your volume, i.e. the amount of reps you can each workout, is going to be relatively low. Contrasting that, one could train with high reps (high volume), 5 times per week (high frequency), but the load used (intensity) would likely need to be decreased overall in order to manage recovery.

This is why full body, high intensity programs are typically set up for training on only a bi or tri-weekly basis. It's also why bodybuilders tend to split up their training into smaller "chunks" of the muscle being trained. This allows them to train with high volume and moderate to high intensity (due to the frequency of the training on each muscle being low-approx once per week).

As far as which method is best for you: that's the million dollar question that we all seek. It's important to be open to trying various methods. If I were in your shoes, I would likely split up my training one of two ways:

Option 1) Full body workouts, 3 times per week

or

Option 2) Training 4 days per week: 2 Upper Body days and 2 lower body days (for an example of this particular split, see this thread)

Since you mentioned that you do not have a gym membership, I'm assuming that the heaviest load you'll have access to using is your own bodyweight (haha, I know that sounds bad, but bodyweight training can be extremely beneficial). Push ups, pull ups, dips, bear crawls, mountain climbers, burpees, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, sprints, etc. (the list goes on and on) should all be part of your training.

On your non-training days, I recommend that you opt for low intensity activity, such as walking, hiking, playing outside, etc. Low intensity, non-exercise physical activity is a great way to burn off extra calories while assisting you in your recovery.

On your training days, since the load will be fairly light weight (being your body weight only), you can probably get away with a high volume of work. I would start off with attempting to be able to do a total of 50 push ups, 5, 30-second flexed arm hangs (if you can't do full pull ups), and 100 full squats. Split the sets out into numbers that allow you to get this work done in 5-6 sets. Try to minimize the amount of rest you take in between each set (try to keep it less than 30 seconds).

From there, you can always get creative and build on your workouts. The important part is that you should be pushing yourself to nearly your maximum amount of perceived exertion. If you start feeling dizzy or faint, you should stop. The aim is to stimulate your muscles and energy systems into a mode where they're being pushed, not to kill yourself. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir here - from your original post it sounds like you probably already know what it feels like to push yourself vs. not working hard enough.

I cannot stress enough the importance of diet. If you are going to see any of the fruits of your labor, you will have to make sure that your diet matches your goals. For fat loss, this means that you need to be getting in about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass per day. The rest of your calories can be split between carbs and fat. I recommend making a detailed journal of what you currently eat so you have an idea of what your maintenance level of calories/macronutrients looks like. From there, you can figure out what your fat loss diet needs to look like. I don't recommend going into a huge caloric deficit from your maintenance level calories-300 to 400 calories per day of deficit is plenty. The key with any diet is figuring out how to make it work in the long term with your lifestyle.

Fat loss (and muscle gain, for that matter) tends to be a relatively simple topic, yet it's so hard for so many people. This is because many people fail to grasp the importance of making fitness work with their lifestyles, and vice versa. Long term sustainability and the willingness to adapt are the keys to taking you where you want to go.

Please feel free to ask more questions-I'll always do my best to give a meaningful answer.

I am sorry I also didnt mention I love to jog and have a wonderful set of 3, 5 and 8 pound free weights....I have access to a really nice outdoor track as well as a beautiful trail. Was wanting to train on the track....also have ankle weights.....I can do the pushups etc all there.....Can you recommend a good way to start the jogging. I did have a few trainers in the past and seem to remember the warming up was like a brisk walk for ten minutes, then jog. I can go for a while...my gym membership expired like 4 months back. Anyway...I seem to remember stretching muscles was more important at the end? That if you stretch cold muscles they can tear? Did I remember correctly? Just a few pointers as I know it will depend on me. =) What I can push through etc.

Thank you with much gratitude and respect. This is REALLY important to me and dont have much in the means of support. One person to be exact. lol. :D

Edited by ON MY OWN

There are others here that are likely far more qualified than I am to answer your questions related to running/jogging. I'm more of the bodybuilding/weightlifting type; it's what I love and what I know the most about.

I did used to run quite a bit when I played rugby though, and I have a couple of friends that are in to running marathons and the like. From what I've seen, they train with a mix of speed and endurance work, though I understand that there is not one universal way to train for a marathon. Starting slow is probably a good idea. One of may favorite ways to work up my endurance is to sprint the straightaways of a standard track and walk the curves. While this type of interval training is more geared for speed/high end work capacity training, it would likely help your ability to jog longer. As with anything, if you gradually push yourself and allow your body time to adapt to new stressors, you will improve.

• Like 1
  • Author
ON MY OWN
There are others here that are likely far more qualified than I am to answer your questions related to running/jogging. I'm more of the bodybuilding/weightlifting type; it's what I love and what I know the most about.

I did used to run quite a bit when I played rugby though, and I have a couple of friends that are in to running marathons and the like. From what I've seen, they train with a mix of speed and endurance work, though I understand that there is not one universal way to train for a marathon. Starting slow is probably a good idea. One of may favorite ways to work up my endurance is to sprint the straightaways of a standard track and walk the curves. While this type of interval training is more geared for speed/high end work capacity training, it would likely help your ability to jog longer. As with anything, if you gradually push yourself and allow your body time to adapt to new stressors, you will improve.

Thank you so much for all the info!!! It will definitely help and serve its purpose in my journey. I really do appreciate all that you took the time to share with me!!!

I am sorry I also didnt mention I love to jog and have a wonderful set of 3, 5 and 8 pound free weights....I have access to a really nice outdoor track as well as a beautiful trail. Was wanting to train on the track....also have ankle weights.....I can do the pushups etc all there..... is REALLY important toCan you recommend a good way to start the jogging.

There are a few runners here, I don't do long distances but my strength and speed have improved over the last few months and my body shape has changed for the better so I think I can give you some advice.

First of all, intesity is what matters, not distance that much when it comes to weight loss. I think for the moment it would be good to leave the ankle weights you have to the side, you can pick them up later.

Warm up by a brisk walk and a slow jog. After about 5-10 minutes stop and stretch your legs, especially the calf muscles.

Then I'd recommend interval training. It can be hard but you need intensity to start your metabolism and you can't get that without anaerobic exercise properly.

Try 90 seconds of about 80% of your top speed then 90 seconds of slow jog. Repeat. In the beginning yo might only be able to do this about 3 x before you get knackered, push it up to 5 x eventually.

Once you manage the 5 x interval comfortably (it is important that you run about 80% of your top speed), switch to only 60 second slow jogs between bursts. Get to the level where you can manage it at least 5 times.

Make sure you measure what that 80% of your top speed is and that you don't drop below that speed level.

Once you are comfortable with the 90 seconds on / 60 seconds off, push yourself to increase that top speed. If you have access to hills, make sure you go hill running, using interval training the same way.

On other days, to mix it up and to make sure you get comfortable with distance too, run a mile using about 60-70% of your maximum effort. Then do the same for 1.5 miles. Measure your time and make sure after running the 1.5 miles about 3 times for approximately the same amount of time, you increase your speed. You must never drop below the speed you have achieved.

The 1.5 mile run you can increase to 2 miles or more of course if that's what you want to do, the same principles apply. It's more aerobic workout for continued effort at a lower intensity, while the interval training provides you with the anaerobic aspect of your workout for shorter amount of time at higher intensity.

Always stretch after warmup and walk it off a bit once the main run is over then stretch.

Make sure you land on the balls of your feet and you don't hill strike, you will avoid shin splints this way.

• Like 1
  • Author
ON MY OWN
There are a few runners here, I don't do long distances but my strength and speed have improved over the last few months and my body shape has changed for the better so I think I can give you some advice.

First of all, intesity is what matters, not distance that much when it comes to weight loss. I think for the moment it would be good to leave the ankle weights you have to the side, you can pick them up later.

Warm up by a brisk walk and a slow jog. After about 5-10 minutes stop and stretch your legs, especially the calf muscles.

Then I'd recommend interval training. It can be hard but you need intensity to start your metabolism and you can't get that without anaerobic exercise properly.

Try 90 seconds of about 80% of your top speed then 90 seconds of slow jog. Repeat. In the beginning yo might only be able to do this about 3 x before you get knackered, push it up to 5 x eventually.

Once you manage the 5 x interval comfortably (it is important that you run about 80% of your top speed), switch to only 60 second slow jogs between bursts. Get to the level where you can manage it at least 5 times.

Make sure you measure what that 80% of your top speed is and that you don't drop below that speed level.

Once you are comfortable with the 90 seconds on / 60 seconds off, push yourself to increase that top speed. If you have access to hills, make sure you go hill running, using interval training the same way.

On other days, to mix it up and to make sure you get comfortable with distance too, run a mile using about 60-70% of your maximum effort. Then do the same for 1.5 miles. Measure your time and make sure after running the 1.5 miles about 3 times for approximately the same amount of time, you increase your speed. You must never drop below the speed you have achieved.

The 1.5 mile run you can increase to 2 miles or more of course if that's what you want to do, the same principles apply. It's more aerobic workout for continued effort at a lower intensity, while the interval training provides you with the anaerobic aspect of your workout for shorter amount of time at higher intensity.

Always stretch after warmup and walk it off a bit once the main run is over then stretch.

Make sure you land on the balls of your feet and you don't hill strike, you will avoid shin splints this way.

Thank you so much...I will do this for my running part. As far as the ankle weights, do you find they will be beneficial to toning later on or not? I have read some that find it is and some that dont use at all. Just wondered, not really heartbroken if I dont really use them or only later in incorporating with leg lifts or something. More curious because I have them, I know its not going to make me or break me. Dont want to waste my time on something thats not going to make much of a difference either though.

Thanks to all of the help from the weight training aspect and running aspect- great feedback and I am definitely doing to incorporate both. This has been so helpful!

I will keep checking back and would welcome any more tips people may have.:rolleyes:

Thank you so much...I will do this for my running part. As far as the ankle weights, do you find they will be beneficial to toning later on or not? I have read some that find it is and some that dont use at all. Just wondered, not really heartbroken if I dont really use them or only later in incorporating with leg lifts or something. More curious because I have them, I know its not going to make me or break me. Dont want to waste my time on something thats not going to make much of a difference either though.

I don't use them, once I'm comfortable with a distance and speed, I increase one aspect or both. There are also lots of leg strengthening exercises you can do like step ups (

this one is quite high, find a lower one first), lunges, squats.

Also do lots of core ones

, these will make you a better, fitter, well rounded, stronger person. No need for any equipment usually :)

I don't know much about ankle weights, I suppose I would be concerned about the affect on my knees perhaps.

As far as the ankle weights, do you find they will be beneficial to toning later on or not?

Forgot to reply to the toning question specifically: there is no such thing as toning. 'Tone' is the muscle that you have already showing under less body fat. You do want to increase strength which is why lunges/squats and step ups are so great but at the same time your aim should be increasing your heart rate sufficiently to burn more fat/calories and portion control. You need muscles but it's the decreased layer of fat on top that gives the toned look.

• Like 1