Physical vs. Aesthetic goals

Do you have goals for your workouts? Are they aesthetic (lose 5 lbs, look like __) or physical (run a marathon).

Which keep you more motivated?

I have never been able to set/ meet aesthetic goals for myself, and for the last couple years, have not even bothered.

Maybe I'm afraid of failure, maybe I've never wanted to be one of those women obsessed with their diets, or maybe I just like food too much. I believe losing 5-10 lbs of fat would make me 100% satisfied with my body, but I am apparently unwilling to take the extra step to get there. Sometimes I wonder if I'm screwing myself out of some great benefits of my healthy diet and rigorous exercise plan as a result. Would I be happier 5-10 pounds leaner?

On the other hand, it's easy for me to get motivated by an upcoming race, or even just seeing my lifting stats increase. I love feeling sore, and I love feeling like my meals are well-deserved. It's not hard to convince myself to hit the gym, or go on a run; those are some of my favorite ways to spend time.

What keeps you motivated?

What keeps you motivated?

Seeing money disappear from my bank account each month for a gym membership... :mad:

But seriously though, I'm at the point where I'm aesthetically where I want to be...so it's a matter of maintenance...but I've been doing more gymnast-like exercises where I manipulate my bodyweight in various ways...it's a different kind of strength, stability, and control...

Competing on Ninja Warrior would actually be a legitimate goal of mine...

threebyfate

Fitness maintenance has the wonderful aspect of stress reduction and injects all around feel-good hormones, per workout session.

For concrete goals, like running marathons and hitting a certain weight, these are pretty meaningless to me.

• Like 1

Ahhh cool!

Having a goal like doing 30 miles on the bicycle and having a place to ride too, keeps me focused. I don't do it with intent of specifically losing xx anx amount of weight.

In fact, just last night I registered for a charity bike ride for Multiple Sclerosis Society May 6th. Things like a group ride and such, keep me motivated. Being with others doing the same thing, keeps me motivated.

Working out merely to just lose weight and get bent because I'm not getting my results, would turn me off. For me, if it was fun, it was a good work-out/bike ride

Do you have goals for your workouts? Are they aesthetic (lose 5 lbs, look like __) or physical (run a marathon).

Which keep you more motivated?

And I would confidently add that 80-90% (yea, I totally made up that number... :rolleyes::laugh:) of people who workout are ultimately doing it for aesthetic reasons...yea, they might say, "oh I've always wanted to run a marathon," but deep down inside they are thinking, "training for and running a marathon will help me lose so much weight, I'm going to look sooo good!"

• Author
And I would confidently add that 80-90% (yea, I totally made up that number... :rolleyes::laugh:) of people who workout are ultimately doing it for aesthetic reasons...yea, they might say, "oh I've always wanted to run a marathon," but deep down inside they are thinking, "training for and running a marathon will help me lose so much weight, I'm going to look sooo good!"

You think?

I think that stops being true when you get to the more hard-core goals. Marathons included.

I certainly see the appeal of training for/ running one, but to me, it is all about the high at the end. The feeling of conquest, knowing you pushed through the pain.

If I wanted to look hot, I would just track my diet.

• Like 1

I literally rolled my eyes at confidently citing to admittedly made up statistics.

Spook: My workouts (when I was a mere gym rat) used to be aesthetically motivated. Now they're not aesthetically motivated at all. Rather, my workouts are training exercises, with an end goal that is entirely physical in nature: run a marathon, ski a double-black without my thighs killing me, making it through Tough Mudder without thinking I'm going to die, etc. Each of these events/goals require mini-goals to get there, and I look at each run (on road/trail or down a slope) and each push-up as merely a means to an ends, and the ends aren't what my body looks like, but rather what it can do.

I feel a lot more pride in my fitness level than what my body looks like. And when I think back to when I was out-of-shape (and it showed), I was more insecure and ashamed of what I couldn't do physically than I was about any excess body fat.

Edited by Star Gazer
  • Like 2
  • Author
I literally rolled my eyes at confidently citing to admittedly made up statistics.

Spook: My workouts (when I was a mere gym rat) used to be aesthetically motivated. Now they're not aesthetically motivated at all. Rather, my workouts are training exercises, with an end goal that is entirely physical in nature: run a marathon, ski a double-black without my thighs killing me, making it through Tough Mudder without thinking I'm going to die, etc. Each of these events/goals require mini-goals to get there, and I look at each run (on road/trail or down a slope) and each push-up as merely a means to and ends, and the ends aren't what my body looks like, but rather what it can do.

I feel a lot more pride in my fitness level than what my body looks like. And when I think back to when I was out-of-shape (and it showed), I was more insecure and ashamed of what I couldn't do physically than I was about any excess body fat.

Yup... that's how I feel about working out too.

I also like thinking I could probably take down some men, or at least out-run them.

I feel a lot more pride in my fitness level than what my body looks like.

yah yah, here too.... I recently joined the bicycling elite by riding a continuous 100 miles flat with only enough break to get water.... 5 minutes...then back in the saddle. I'm confident in my physical fitness level, still have a slight big-mac belly, but I sure am healthy.

People think riding a bicycle 100 miles isn't too hard, but consider this.....

The hills, fatigue, wanting to give it up after the first 30 miles and telling your mind over and over that you have to do this. Oh the wind resistance, aches and wanting to just throw in the towel.

It's easy to think it would be easy, but get on the bike and pedal 30 miles straight and feel the burn with 70 miles to go.... It becomes a trial of the mind as well as the body.

So yes...hard core goals like that and knowing I am physically fit rather than super curvy is good for me.... I couldn't do it merely to just look hot....it has to be a challenge and fun.

I could probably take down some men, or at least out-run them.

I challenge you to a 6 mile, XC Technical single track Mountain bike race.....

Look up "Emily Batty" :love: in love.

You think?

Absolutely.

But that's why there's the 10-20% that do it to legitimately accomplish certain personal goals...but for the vast majority of people, it's all about aesthetics, especially when they first start out.

I will offer this question...if working out made you physically stronger and healthier but less aethetically pleasing, would you still do it?

I think that stops being true when you get to the more hard-core goals. Marathons included.

Agreed.

I certainly see the appeal of training for/ running one, but to me, it is all about the high at the end. The feeling of conquest, knowing you pushed through the pain.

I never want to push through the pain of a marathon again. That was one of the most miserable physical experiences of my life. I have my one finisher medal. Never again. :laugh:

If I wanted to look hot, I would just track my diet.

For most people, that's all it takes.

I challenge you to a 6 mile, XC Technical single track Mountain bike race.....

Challenge accepted. :cool:

I used to ride a lot when I was in college...great singletrack in the mountains at Tech...but I haven't touched my bike since... :(

Challenge accepted. :cool:

I used to ride a lot when I was in college...great singletrack in the mountains at Tech...but I haven't touched my bike since... :(

Not you:rolleyes::p

Her, cause it would be hot as f'ck throwing dirt in some chick's face..

BRING IT!

fortyninethousand322

At first my goals were pretty aesthetic (like when I was 15). But now, it's more about getting better at my favorite sport, basketball. I like being able to outmuscle people for rebounds or position but also be able to run up and down the court faster and longer than most.

Now though, I've decided my new goal is to get as big as John Cena. That big, muscular, yet toned look. So I'm setting sails for new lands.

• Author

I will offer this question...if working out made you physically stronger and healthier but less aethetically pleasing, would you still do it?

Less aesthetically pleasing - probably not. But it would not be as easy a decision to make as you'd think. Not working out would make me a lot less happy, so it would be a question of choosing the lesser evil. Which doesn't prove your point at all.

At my current balance of diet and exercise, all my working out doesn't make a significant impact on my physique, anyway. But I'm still choosing to do it, for the mental benefit of knowing I'm strong, and the hormone rush.

fortyninethousand322

I forgot to mention, I'm hoping the side benefit of getting a John Cena body is that women will throw themselves at me. :cool:

• Author

Hokie, a better question would be:

If you could acheive the proportions you've always wanted, without exercising or watching your diet, whilst maintaining a reasonable level of health and strength, would you still work out?

To which I would answer, a resounding yes.

I turn into a raging, belligerent psycho when I don't get my exercise.

• Like 1

I've never really thought of exercise in terms of goals. To me, it's just a part of my life.

It's kind of like asking "What is your goal in going to work today?" or "What is your goal in having dinner?" Sometimes I might have something specific I want to do, like "I have to get this memo done today," or "I am going to enjoy this steak!", but for the most part it's just part of my life.

• Like 1
ThaWholigan
I forgot to mention, I'm hoping the side benefit of getting a John Cena body is that women will throw themselves at me. :cool:

You'll have to lift real heavy, his arms are massive. Lots of dips :D.

I'm going for the Michael Jai White build, I will take up Martial Arts when I can afford it as well. I actually want to be athletically capable of doing literally anything, running fast, power, strength, flexibility, agility etc. Side effect would be the girls, admittedly, but being super fit is more attractive to me than just doing it for girls. I want to look and feel better for me personally.

• Like 1

Today? Yes. When I started out? No. I hit the gym for asthetic reasons, I was 31 and started putting weight on around the middle. I also drank quite a bit and started building fat around my body, not in a sexy way.

I'm 40 this year and while I look after myself I know boxing probably has given me shoulders that not everyone finds attractive (though enough men do as I have noticed :p) but I love the sport and my lifestyle is more and more physical including training I need for work.

A complete lifestyle change over the years I suppose. A complete change in mentality too. Can't stand slopey shoulders and bad posture.

Bret Contreras posted on his blog recently about this, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Basically, I think most people (myself included) are best off striking a balance between aesthetic and athletic goals. Personally speaking, I look and feel better now than I ever have. I want to do my best to maintain or improve upon my current physique, but I also want to continue to increase my strength, muscle mass, and athletic abilities. Sometimes, the goals of looking good and performing well can pull in opposite directions.

As such, the things that keep me motivated are a blend of aesthetic and performance goals. Hitting a PR is always motivating, as is seeing veins pop out from places you've never seen them before. To each their own I suppose.

I've never really thought of exercise in terms of goals. To me, it's just a part of my life.

It's kind of like asking "What is your goal in going to work today?" or "What is your goal in having dinner?" Sometimes I might have something specific I want to do, like "I have to get this memo done today," or "I am going to enjoy this steak!", but for the most part it's just part of my life.

Yeah, pretty much. I would say I'm wellness minded. I exercise so that my body gets the workout it needs, based on the physiological requirements of the human body in general or mine in specific.

I'm training for a marathon now, but if it weren't tied to my work (joint fundraiser), I'd never do it. Fitness goals don't work for me -- I'm not competitive about those things and find them kind of stupid. I actually find marathons REALLY stupid. I like the way I look just fine, so aesthetic goals don't much help either.

I exercise to control my anxiety and for the health benefits. It's similar to getting an oil change or putting gas in the car.

• Like 1

I'm training for a marathon now, but if it weren't tied to my work (joint fundraiser), I'd never do it. Fitness goals don't work for me -- I'm not competitive about those things and find them kind of stupid. I actually find marathons REALLY stupid. I like the way I look just fine, so aesthetic goals don't much help either.

I exercise to control my anxiety and for the health benefits. It's similar to getting an oil change or putting gas in the car.

Yeah, I need a specific goal that goes beyond the exercise regime. I haven't found a good reason to run a marathon so I'm not training for one. I have found very good reasons to train for strength. Enjoy the benefits of anxiety control though yes.

I exercise to look good since I know how shallow men are. ;)

The mental and physical positive effects are a bonus.